+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Unethical careers - spin off

The talk of Judd's chosen career path can got me thinking about 'unethical careers' (not necessarily saying hers is, but there is some some perception out there that it is).

Do you think less of friends and family who have careers that you think are unethical?

Have you ever done things as part of your job that didn't align with your morals but did them anyway for the sake of your career?

Thanks
    Reviews

As a lawyer I've definitely done things that are perfectly legal - and in fact are required by my duty to the client and court - but are not in keeping with my own morals and ethics.

It can be very difficult emotionally and is one of the reasons I would prefer to not do criminal defence work again. That said criminal law while being an obvious area where this internal conflict occurs is not the only one!

Edit - oh and I've definitely had people judge me for it! Some have been downright nasty to my face about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Edit: I read the question wrong
    Last edited by atomicmama; 07-10-2016 at 10:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Some finance industry jobs are on the nose for me. People who push products on to people who can't afford them. People who make money off placing people in financial strain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    People who make money off placing people in financial strain.
    Would you consider persons that work in hospitality I.e gaming to fall under this umbrella?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My DH used to work in hospitality for years and there were some conflict of interests for him. Working in the Clubs (RSL) gaming machines are huge. Dh's family have a long history of addiction including pokie addiction and towards the end of him working in this industry he got really disgusted by the way the clubs pushed people to sink money into the machines. Stuff like providing free alcohol in certain 'promotions' so they got so drunk the addicts just sunk in everything they had Free/discounted dinners in the bistro. Tickets in prize draws if they were actively playing a pokie.

He then worked in a pub for a short while and though they didn't have all the pokies, responsible service of alcohol was non existent. In fact the owner would actually chastise DH for cutting off regulars who were so drunk they were fighting each other, could hardly walk. Had those idiots fallen down and hit their head they could have easily sued DH for serving them well beyond the point of intoxication and won

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenBlue View Post
    Would you consider persons that work in hospitality I.e gaming to fall under this umbrella?
    Interesting question. I wouldn't consider the people working in clubs responsible but if the management encouraged gambling like Del suggests happens then yes I would say that's undesirable.

Gambling is so far removed from my world i hadn't thought of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm... I think it has a lot to do with people rather than the job. But some jobs have more potential to be unethical than others.

I have worked in the finance/insurance sector for 10 years or so. As in the companies providing the insurance etc - not an adviser/broker office.

I find insurance especially there is a lot of unethical behaviour. Yes, it is usually the adciser/broker but it is encouraged by the companies and the government does not help (when they scrapped the legislation regarding commissions etc).

I see a lot of advice that is not in the best interest of the client as the adviser wants the commission. I see them move the client around as they get upfront commission each time. I see a client paying more for insurance each month than what comes into their super as they are so ridiculously over insured.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Real Estate! I've come across some really bad agents in my time.

Not all are bad of course! But there's a lot of tricks they pull that I am in total disagreeance with.

Pharmaceutical sales (borderline in Australia but worse in the US).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

delirium  (07-10-2016),yadot  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Politicians that toe the party line and vote for things even if they are policies the individual disagrees with.....
    I don't know how people can live with that.