+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New age guideline to starting solids?

Hi mummies

I just came back from the paediatrician and he mentioned about the new age guideline to starting solids is 4 months. Apparently latest research done and found that there is now no evidence that delaying the introduction of food preventing the development of allergy. In fact, it is better to start earlier, but not before 4 months. It is the exposure, I guess. And best time to avoid allergies. I also read somewhere this new finding was just released in May 2016.

They have now reverted to what people had practised years ago. So paeds has recommended us to start solids in 4 weeks time (DS is 12 weeks now). Just a small amount, to test and get him try new foods. I don't know how I feel about it yet. DD started solids at smack 6mths. I'm looking to see if anyone else has heard about this and what everyone thinks of it. And also where everyone is with bubs starting solids.

Thanks!
    Last edited by smudgy; 06-10-2016 at 20:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default New age guideline to starting solids?

It's not true - there was 1 study done by a private centre that said from 4 months but allergy australia and the national research and health committee have NOT changed their advice which is breastfeed until around 6 months and introduce ALL food immediately ( so eggs, nuts, shellfish ect at 6 months) unless of course you have a history of allergies in the family then you should see a paed - but for all other babies it's still around 6 months and definitely not before 4 months , so there is no need to rush as they just don't need solids that early but when you do just make sure you offer a huge variety of foods straight away

this is from allergy australia, updated last month
    http://www.allergy.org.au/health-pro...ods-to-infants
    This is NHMRC, also updated
    https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmr...ary_160822.pdf

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do not feel pressured to start at 4 months. Every child develops at different rates.

DD was nowhere near ready for solids at 4 months. They need to be able to sit. They need to show interest in food. Lose tongue reflex. And also their gut needs to be ready.

DD is 6 months and onlh really started a little bit of solids consistently for close to a week. Before that she was physically not ready and her gut was not ready.