+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 131
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked
    17
    Reviews
    0
    Oh well.. im constantly judged on here too.

  2. #42
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of CC, but I'm a SAHM. I understand some women, especially in the city where rent and mortgages are insane, have to work. And why they are very touchy on the subject - because they feel the guilt from society.
    I just want to touch on this point, because I see this sentiment a lot.

    Sometimes women return to work because they *choose* to work and they get something intellectual, inspirational or otherwise from their career. It seems that it's considered okay for women to return work if there is a clear financial need, but for women to say 'hey, I'm working because I like it and my job/career is important to me' is somehow still considered less ok by many. Or at least, harder to understand maybe?

    It's taken me three years to just say 'I work because it's meaningful to me'. I could survive financially if I worked part time, but I hated that. But I always felt like I needed a 'reason' that society would accept. I wonder if I'm alone there?

    I know that wasn't your implication, just your comment made me think of this :-)

    Sorry, OT I know, just a thought I had...

  3. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (09-10-2016),AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (09-10-2016),binnielici  (11-10-2016),clb84  (10-10-2016),clbj  (10-10-2016),Full House  (09-10-2016),Gentoo  (09-10-2016),gingermillie  (09-10-2016),hazzyj  (09-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (09-10-2016),JustJaq  (09-10-2016),KitiK  (10-10-2016),smallpotatoes  (09-10-2016),Sonja  (09-10-2016),TheGooch  (09-10-2016),twinklify  (09-10-2016),Wise Enough  (09-10-2016)

  4. #43
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,660
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DH and I have no support other than each other. We have no extended family or friends close enough to babysit adhoc let alone on a regular basis so childcare was used as our 'village'. I don't necessarily think that they 'learnt' much in the earlier years but they definitely got to have experiences that I would never have thought of or (I'll admit) I would have found too demanding to do on a remotely regular basis. I'm thinking of things like messy play, craft, painting with lots of different mediums, sensory play activities etc.
    I was never a 'natural' mum. I had never even held a baby before I had my son let alone changed a nappy or baby sat. I learnt a lot about how to interact and engage with other children from my children's child care experiencing childcare.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

    clbj  (10-10-2016),Gentoo  (09-10-2016),gingermillie  (09-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (09-10-2016),VicPark  (10-10-2016)

  6. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,838
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I just want to touch on this point, because I see this sentiment a lot.

    Sometimes women return to work because they *choose* to work and they get something intellectual, inspirational or otherwise from their career. It seems that it's considered okay for women to return work if there is a clear financial need, but for women to say 'hey, I'm working because I like it and my job/career is important to me' is somehow still considered less ok by many. Or at least, harder to understand maybe?

    It's taken me three years to just say 'I work because it's meaningful to me'. I could survive financially if I worked part time, but I hated that. But I always felt like I needed a 'reason' that society would accept. I wonder if I'm alone there?

    I know that wasn't your implication, just your comment made me think of this :-)

    Sorry, OT I know, just a thought I had...
    Oh absolutely! And I frequently say that - that some women are bored as bat sh*t at home. I find it just a valid a reason as the financial reason. But I more referred to the 'have to' mums bc I find they tend to be more defensive in these type of discussions about child care. As almost a 'please go gently here, as some women don't have a choice to use childcare' type thing after reading some cringe worthy comments about cc.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    KitiK  (10-10-2016)

  8. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    3,644
    Thanked
    3,453
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    DH and I have no support other than each other. We have no extended family or friends close enough to babysit adhoc let alone on a regular basis so childcare was used as our 'village'. I don't necessarily think that they 'learnt' much in the earlier years but they definitely got to have experiences that I would never have thought of or (I'll admit) I would have found too demanding to do on a remotely regular basis. I'm thinking of things like messy play, craft, painting with lots of different mediums, sensory play activities etc.
    This is me as well. I'm a stay at home mom (2.5 and 4 months) and I am early childhood educated, was a nanny, doula and preschool teacher. But we live in another country from both our families and have no support group to call on for help. I am quite good at thinking up things to do but quite frankly I'm exhausted or just not in the mood to clean up a mess or be creative sometimes. DS goes to preschool three mornings a week and absolutely loves it and I do think he is thriving with it. Was he doing well with me, of course. But his language, independence, motor and social skills have all definitely improved and I do think that is happening, probably at a faster rate, because of his experiences at preschool. He goes to a Montessori and the classes are mixed ages and I think interacting with the 4 and 5 year olds on a regular basis has a big impact on him. I think it has been good for both of us, that he was getting a bit bored with me and I definitely needed a break. I also think it is important for him to learn how to foster relationships, problem solve, etc outside the comfort of knowing mom is there to fix it which is all obviously more likely to happen in instances where I am nowhere to be found.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (10-10-2016),Freyamum  (10-10-2016),gingermillie  (09-10-2016),Its Me  (09-10-2016)

  10. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,174
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked
    576
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I think it's important.

    When I socialise with non Childcare kids I notice a gap.


    What can you notice ? How can you tell?

  11. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,319
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    2,195
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This is me as well. I'm a stay at home mom (2.5 and 4 months) and I am early childhood educated, was a nanny, doula and preschool teacher. But we live in another country from both our families and have no support group to call on for help. I am quite good at thinking up things to do but quite frankly I'm exhausted or just not in the mood to clean up a mess or be creative sometimes. DS goes to preschool three mornings a week and absolutely loves it and I do think he is thriving with it. Was he doing well with me, of course. But his language, independence, motor and social skills have all definitely improved and I do think that is happening, probably at a faster rate, because of his experiences at preschool. He goes to a Montessori and the classes are mixed ages and I think interacting with the 4 and 5 year olds on a regular basis has a big impact on him. I think it has been good for both of us, that he was getting a bit bored with me and I definitely needed a break. I also think it is important for him to learn how to foster relationships, problem solve, etc outside the comfort of knowing mom is there to fix it which is all obviously more likely to happen in instances where I am nowhere to be found.
    You said everything in a more educated way. Lol.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (09-10-2016)

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,256
    Thanks
    2,352
    Thanked
    1,871
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    DH and I have no support other than each other. We have no extended family or friends close enough to babysit adhoc let alone on a regular basis so childcare was used as our 'village'. I don't necessarily think that they 'learnt' much in the earlier years but they definitely got to have experiences that I would never have thought of or (I'll admit) I would have found too demanding to do on a remotely regular basis. I'm thinking of things like messy play, craft, painting with lots of different mediums, sensory play activities etc.
    I was never a 'natural' mum. I had never even held a baby before I had my son let alone changed a nappy or baby sat. I learnt a lot about how to interact and engage with other children from my children's child care experiencing childcare.
    I couldn't just thank this I had to acknowledge I feel exactly the same. 'Thanks'

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,166
    Thanks
    1,401
    Thanked
    723
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So much all that, @harvs. Completely agree. I want to work more (currently 3 days) but I'm beung given significant 'mummy guilts' by family members who should know better.. sigh..
    @Unschooling4, you haven't answered the question, and I'm curious - what is it you're concerned about?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (10-10-2016)

  16. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,485
    Thanks
    849
    Thanked
    299
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really think you need to just do what is best for you. My kids didn't go to childare, but are they better off for it? Not necessarily. My youngest in particular struggled a lot with separation anxiety when going to school, but then she may have struggled like that going to childcare too.
    I worked in childcare for a couple of years and there were children who thrived, and children who didn't cope so well with it. I think it just comes down to individual personalities and situations. But it sounds like something you would get benefit from so why not? I wouldn't worry too much about whether others think it's right or wrong. Everyone makes decisions based on what is best for their family, but if you think you'd like the break and time to look into study, etc, then I would go for it. And if it doesn't work out like you hoped, it doesn't have to be forever.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Online Learning
    By Choni in forum East Gippsland
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2016, 11:49
  2. What does early labour feel like?
    By quietlyhopeful in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-11-2015, 10:52
  3. Daycare / pre kinder / early learning decisions!
    By amcyus in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-11-2015, 19:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!