+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toilet training tips

So we are thinking of toilet training DS in the next few days. I've had enough of nappies lol
    Any tips?
    We have a potty and one of those cushion things on the toilet. Should we be focusing on just one option though? Like only the potty. What rewards can be used? How often should we take him to the toilet? Actually just any bits of advice would be great! I'm not sure how to do this lol

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Yay good luck! I'm no expert, but...

I got DS special Thomas jocks that I unveiled on toilet training day. Just used the puffy toilet seat thing (no way am I emptying potties!). Rewarded with a sticker for wee and a little chocolate egg for poo. The first couple of days we stayed home and I asked him probably every ten minutes if he needed a wee. He had two accidents on that first day. I took an extra minute to change him out so he knew that it felt uncomfortable and that it was better to go in the toilet. He had one accident the second day, and since then he's never had an accident at home and has never had a poo one ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yay good luck! I'm no expert, but...

I got DS special Thomas jocks that I unveiled on toilet training day. Just used the puffy toilet seat thing (no way am I emptying potties!). Rewarded with a sticker for wee and a little chocolate egg for poo. The first couple of days we stayed home and I asked him probably every ten minutes if he needed a wee. He had two accidents on that first day. I took an extra minute to change him out so he knew that it felt uncomfortable and that it was better to go in the toilet. He had one accident the second day, and since then he's never had an accident at home and has never had a poo one ever!
    Thanks harvs! I'm actually quite nervous haha. I bought him special paw patrol ones yesterday! I'm thinking the size 2/3 is actually going to be too big!! Lol. He has no waist! I think I'd be fine cleaning out wees in a potty but poos I'd be grossed out haha. He does follow me everytime I go to the toilet so he knows what I'm doing lol
    I was thinking if I just stay home for a few days it will be safe lol I've got plenty of dinosaur stickers so that should work! Did u put them on a chart or just give him the sticker and have fun? lol. Oh!! I hope it goes that well for us hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good luck.

We started DD out on the potty. I tried the padded toilet seat, but she was terrified to sit on it on the toilet.

I rewarded her with stickers. She just stuck them on her hand or wherever she wanted to.

We stayed home for a few days and just took her to the toilet every 15 minutes. We also noticed that when she needs to go, she can't keep still and keeps stepping from side to side, so when I saw that, I rushed her to the potty

We also called Nanna everytime she used the potty. She loved the praise from everyone.

In the last week, she has just decided to use the padded seat on the toilet (she started using the potty at the beginning of the year). And she hasn't gone near the potty since she made that decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    Good luck.

We started DD out on the potty. I tried the padded toilet seat, but she was terrified to sit on it on the toilet.

I rewarded her with stickers. She just stuck them on her hand or wherever she wanted to.

We stayed home for a few days and just took her to the toilet every 15 minutes. We also noticed that when she needs to go, she can't keep still and keeps stepping from side to side, so when I saw that, I rushed her to the potty

We also called Nanna everytime she used the potty. She loved the praise from everyone.

In the last week, she has just decided to use the padded seat on the toilet (she started using the potty at the beginning of the year). And she hasn't gone near the potty since she made that decision
    Thanks Lil Smurfy! He's sat on the padded seat and seemed quite fine with it. If he starts to panic about it I'll try the potty out.
    I'll let him stick them wherever he wants haha.
    Oh if my mum wasn't working today that would be great. He asked to put undies on so we will see how that goes lol

I'll have to keep an eye out for signs. Right now he's sitting on the lounge lol hopefully he doesn't wee on it!

That's great she's decided to use it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long do I give it before I take a step back and try again another time? I don't want to prolong it if he's not ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    How long do I give it before I take a step back and try again another time? I don't want to prolong it if he's not ready.
    How old is he?

I would try for a few days and see if you see signs of improvement. If you do, keep persisting, if not back off for a while

With DD, on day one she screamed about going to the potty, pee'd all over the floor numerous times and was miserable with the whole process. The next day I managed to actually get her to wee on the potty but still not happily, but she was living the praise and stickers. The next day she was actually telling me she needed to go, sometimes at the last minute, so still a few accidents, but huge improvement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    How old is he?

I would try for a few days and see if you see signs of improvement. If you do, keep persisting, if not back off for a while

With DD, on day one she screamed about going to the potty, pee'd all over the floor numerous times and was miserable with the whole process. The next day I managed to actually get her to wee on the potty but still not happily, but she was living the praise and stickers. The next day she was actually telling me she needed to go, sometimes at the last minute, so still a few accidents, but huge improvement.
    Thank you. I'll give it a go in a couple of days and see what he does. He's so independent I see him screaming and carrying on for awhile lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds preferred the potty to start with so we went with that for about 3mths and he got to the stage where he would take himself off to the potty.
    (He happily used toilets when out though)
    We went on holidays for a week and didnt take the potty and he was fine with the toilet all week so when we got home i had the potty then got rid of it.lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Ds preferred the potty to start with so we went with that for about 3mths and he got to the stage where he would take himself off to the potty.
    (He happily used toilets when out though)
    We went on holidays for a week and didnt take the potty and he was fine with the toilet all week so when we got home i had the potty then got rid of it.lol
    Thanks! I've been trying both potty and toilet and he seems to prefer sitting on his potty in front of the tv. The potty seems small though. Seems to um squish him up a bit? I'm not sure if that's putting him off because he will not do one in there (yet) we've had 2 accidents.. no successes. So he is definitely holding it!