+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I'm not sure about our BBQ, last time Dh said the temp didn't seem right (too high?) What should it be on?
    I have a Weber Q and it came with instructions for each meat type.

Basic instructions are to use a trivet (raised rack) to rest the meat on.
    Heat the BBQ on a high temp.
    Turn heat down (as per instructions to cut of meat, would be either a mediumish temp I think)
    Leave meat in until cooked.
    I use a meat thermometer and take the meat out when it beeps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If I was to serve that many people I would cook the day before for the meat. The veges I would get up super early and start them early as can always reheat everything when needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, i think with one oven you either need to share cooked meats or employ the bbq and oven. Personally i would totally minimise any cooking on xmas day. Too stressful! If you are going to cater all of it you self, do all prep the day before. Traditional potato salad, rice salad, playter of prawns, oysters smoked salmon, cut leg ham etc, all plated up the night before. If you are going to cook on the day, limit it to easy things on the bbq and maybe one roast meat. You don't want to be stressing about cooking veges and switching things in the oven. I love hosting xmas! Have a great time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We always do a cold lunch so cook the meats the day before and serve with salads (potato, pasta and garden)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with everyone else. Prep as much the day before. Serve cold meats and salads. And perhaps one roast meat and some roast potatoes/vegetables if you think you must have something hot.
    Seafood is great cold.
    And given the season, summer desserts are great on Xmas day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get everyone to bring a plate. Ask them to bring something specific - dessert, salad, bread etc etc It won't help the meat question but I will get there. For meat you can try one cold and bake one hot on the day. That way people have the option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use our slow cooker to roast the ham or turkey on the day. It is so easy to do the prep (ie open the lid, put in the meat and press the button)in the morning when you are still energetic and have the time and then nothing else to do until it is time to slice and serve. Slow cooker is good too for cooking the pudding and cake.