+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth options after previous loss

Hi ladies

Please be kind to me in regards to this topic. I am just wanting some advice and stories regarding your own experience with inductions and/or elective c-sections.

My daughter was born sleeping at 28 weeks 6 months ago and we are now expecting our rainbow baby.

I am yet to have any discussions with OB regarding delivering our rainbow baby as it is a bit too early at the moment.

My OB has told me that, he wont allow me to go over my due date, which will more than likely mean i will be induced if bub doesn't arrive early.

I had a very positive labour experience with my angel, however I am now terrified of labouring again and something going wrong in labour.

Obviously I will be talking to my OB about all of this in time, but I was just interested to hear of other people's experiences.

Also, i am completely aware that when the time comes, things may be out of my control and will be decided for me, eg if bub is breech or in distress etc.

I personally don't want a birth plan, as all i want is for my rainbow to be here safely, and i don't care what means that is achieved by. However i do like to feel as prepared as i can especially if a c-section is on the cards.

- Do inductions generally end up in other interventions such as C-sections

- As a public patient can you elect to have a c-section

Im sure i have other questions, but i cant seem to think of them atm.

Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @MrsMummaButterfly congratulations on your rainbow baby. I can't offer you personal experiences, but I can try and give you professional experiences.

The fact you have laboured before is a good thing. It means your body knows what to do. Even though you laboured at 28wks, you still laboured.

Inductions don't 'generally' end in a c-section. Obviously they can, but it's not the norm. An induction can certainly set off a cascade of intervention though. For example, an early epidural may mean that you're labouring on the syntocinon for longer meaning your uterus is being pushed harder and possibly increasing the chances of distress to the baby or even a post partum haemorrhage. Similarly if you have an epidural and the block is dense, you may end up with dead legs to the point that when it comes time to push, you struggle meaning it might be necessary for a vacuum or forceps delivery. Best tip is simply to stay active as long as you're able, remaining active and upright will help your labour much more than being flat on your back will. By all means when you get to the point of needing pain relief, have an epidural if that's what you want, but even being active for an hour or so will make a difference to your labour.

Obviously there are things that may add to the mix that can increase your chances of a c/s such as an undiagnosed breech found in labour. Most of the time Drs will recommend a c/s at this time. Meconium liquor may increase bubs risk of distress but is not a reason on its own for a c/s.

Method of induction vs gestation. Discuss with your doctors what methods of induction is their preference. For example we use the balloon catheters as standard. Had about a 99% success rate of us being able to break your waters after the 12hrs of the balloon. Prostin gel may require multiple doses and occasionally may just not work at all (not that common). Most women only require 1-2 doses. One of our obs did a study that basically showed almost 100% of women who required a 3rd dose of prostin gel ended up with a c/s. Not exactly 100% but he described the 'success rate' as negligible.

As a public patient you can certainly ask for a c/s, but whether they agree is another thing. They will look at your reasons for wanting a c/s and your previous birth. To be honest though, if you had a great labour last time, I imagine they will try and push for a vaginal birth just because it's better for you and bubs in that the recovery is generally easier. If they do agree to a c/s then if you're wanting more control over the situation, it should help you with that. Be mindful that you can still go into labour or break your waters before your c/s date, so you may still end up with an 'emergency' c/s if that is what you're trying to avoid. The recommendation for a c/s these days is in the 39th week also.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

ILKANDMT  (05-10-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @M'LadyEm

Thank you so so much for your very detailed and thorough response.

Thank you for giving me a medical point of view and making me realise that I need to believe in my body more.

I know it changes from hospital to hospital and all depends on personal circumstances, but at what gestation are inductions normally offered?

How early are things like stretch & sweeps offered to start things along before the catheter and syntocinon is offered?

Hope you and bub are going well too hun xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Will come back and reply later since I have been in your position before and gone on to have two live births. X

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Will come back and reply later since I have been in your position before and gone on to have two live births. X
    Thanks hun, hope you are well x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    Thanks hun, hope you are well x
    And congratulations

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    And congratulations
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, and congratulations on your rainbow baby.

I can't offer personal experience regarding stillbirth, however can just give some info on what I've had with my hospital.

2 of my aunties have had stillborns at full term, which naturally made me extremely anxious. At my first appointment, I basically just said there is no way I'll be going overdue. The midwife I saw didn't really take me seriously, I requested to see a different midwife st my next appointment and put my foot down and said I was serious about it, my midwife said we would discuss it as we got closer. I ended up getting put through to the obstetrician team at the hospital to be monitored closely anyway because of aunties history.
    I'm now 31 weeks and last week at my 30 week appointment, I told them that I need to know what's happening in regards to induction as I'm starting to get close and have extreme anxiety about it.
    My obstetrician said straight out that I would be induced at 39 weeks on the dot, as my mental health is more important in this case.
    However, we will be trying to avoid induction so will be trying to encourage Bub to come from 36.5 weeks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    @babymummatobe
    Thank you so much for sharing hun. And congrats on your pregnancy too hun.

Im so glad to hear that your OB has listened to you and will be inducing you early. Has he told you about the process at all?

What sorts of things are you doing to coax bub out before your induction date?

I would love to hear of your experience in 8 weeks time if thats ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    @babymummatobe
    Thank you so much for sharing hun. And congrats on your pregnancy too hun.

Im so glad to hear that your OB has listened to you and will be inducing you early. Has he told you about the process at all?

What sorts of things are you doing to coax bub out before your induction date?

I would love to hear of your experience in 8 weeks time if thats ok?
    Definitely! I will be here to update when he arrives.

Not sure how it all happens to be honest, think the method of induction depends on how your body is prepared on the day. I'll have to ask st my next appointment.

Provided I'm dilated at my 37 week appointment, I will get a stretch and sweep done, and they will do these every appointment. Other things my ob said to do is to take raspberry leaf capsules, evening primrose oil, bounce on the exercise ball, walk walk walk, sex, expressing colostrum and I'll be giving acupuncture and acupressure a go too!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post: