+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    How is he at childcare?
    They used to say his attention span was extremely short and he is a little wild but they think he's calmed down Alot. They say he will sit for group time and plays a little more but he does run wild. He is happiest outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Can you set it up at night after he goes to bed and then he can just play? Might get a bit longer out of him.
    I didn't think to do. That sounds like an idea I will try that tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Is there a Westfield near you? Most have a play area/jungle gym etc
    Unfortunately no. Very limited lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    My 2.5 year likes 'helping'
    Putting shopping away
    Making the bed.
    'Cooking' while you are cooking
    He does love helping so I always let him with those things. Maybe I need to clean more so he can help lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3 yo loves duplo - he can build things and then "SMASH!" them down.

He also loves helping cook biscuits or cupcakes. It gets pretty messy, though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    My 3 yo loves duplo - he can build things and then "SMASH!" them down.

He also loves helping cook biscuits or cupcakes. It gets pretty messy, though...
    I did just bring his blocks out. They were taken away lol I might help him build garages for his cars and see how he goes.

I am thinking of making cupcakes today so that should amuse him lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He needs to run around and climb and be a bit rough. Let him out in the puddles and mud. Take him to the park or a play centre with lots of trampolines and jumping castles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    He needs to run around and climb and be a bit rough. Let him out in the puddles and mud. Take him to the park or a play centre with lots of trampolines and jumping castles.
    Oh I'm all for jumping in puddles and playing in the mud but I just can't let him everyday unfortunately. Our closest park is a swamp even though there's suppose to be tan bark everywhere. It's dreadful there's just been so much water.
    The other parks and play centres are around 20-30 minutes away so it's not easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has a ride on Thomas bike he ride around the house, he also loves the Vtec car track, singing & Dancing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You mentioned he does swimming, what about other sports classes? I have a 2.5 year old boy as well and although he sounds maybe slightly calmer than yours I do find him exhausting. I find Pinterest helps for ideas and there's also a Facebook page called 'toddler approved' that often has good ideas and articles. To keep him busy we have preschool 3 mornings a week, sport one morning, swimming one morning, playgroup one morning. Other times we go to the park/playground, go for a walk and he rides his scooter or balance bike, playcenter, etc. inside we do lots of trains, duplo, playdoh, painting, etc. but I think my DS may have a sightly longer attention span than yours. Would sensory play keep his attention? So things like a tray of shaving cream that he can drive cars through? There's this mixture of corn flour and shaving cream that is kind of like sand and snow that ds' preschool does. Or would he just take messy play to a whole new level and make it too stressful? What about going for a scooter or bike ride to burn energy in the morning then home to play after? How often does he go to child care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I was going to also suggest sensory play as Holly did.

OP: my DS sounds similar to yours at that age. A runner, short attention span for 'tasks', likes knocking things down etc. with hindsight I should have upped his sensory play.
    - shaving cream, full body painting, big sandpits, ball pits, trampolining centre, box of pine cones/rocks and bark, squishy toys (would run off after 3 minutes playing trains as well, however give him a squishy toy and he's occupied for 20 minutes).

Don't forget TV. At that age my DS developed an infatuation for toy story. Could last the whole movie.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (09-10-2016)