+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Amusing a 2.5 yr old

I'm sure I asked this all the time for different ages but I'm struggling to keep my 2.5 yr old amused. DS is a ball of energy. The energiser bunny. He's got 2 speeds.. flat out and asleep.

With all the terrible weather we have had our yard is like a swamp. DS loves playing outside but it's been terrible. There's suppose to be months more of rain. When we get to play outside... He has some toys he likes to play with, he loves golf, his dump trucks, trampoline, trike and other things. What else is there I might be able to add outside to play with?

The other and probably the biggest problem is inside... he is destructive. He's so go go go that he doesn't like craft much, by the time I set paint etc up he paints for 2 minutes and he's gone. We have playdoh, drawing, colouring books, paints etc but he loses interest quickly.
    He seems to need to be really engaged in something but when we try he loses interest or turns the game too rough, by that I mean we could be playing with cars on a mat and he will want to crash them but then it turns to every car within a metre has to be thrown. Regardless of what's around. If he's not playing too rough he's being really destructive. DF and I made a cardboard car he could sit in with him the other day.. within 20 minutes he had destroyed it.

I'm just running out of ideas with him. I have no idea how to amuse him and how to occupy his mind. Any ideas of games or techniques? Anything. I swear all I'm doing is yelling.

He can be such a lovely little boy as well so I do understand it could be his age but I'm losing my mind.

Help please x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds a bit like my 2yo, I find not spending too much time at home helps, he is usually happier at the park, or swimming lessons, or riding his trike or scooter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    Sounds a bit like my 2yo, I find not spending too much time at home helps, he is usually happier at the park, or swimming lessons, or riding his trike or scooter.
    Thank you for the reply!
    I do try to take him out as much as possible between swimming, day care, playgroup and bits of shopping or going to my mums. My biggest problem is when we go out he's a runner! He's damn fast as well! I am really slow haha. The park near our house is terrible at the moment. So much rain and tan bark just don't mix. Unfortunately the nearest park other than that one is 25 minutes drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How about lego or puzzles (3D ones)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 year old DS has so much fun playing with his train tracks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevapa View Post
    How about lego or puzzles (3D ones)
    We do have blocks and puzzles, unfortunately they usually get met with him throwing them after a few minutes. He does really like his puzzles and we try to use them for his speech when we play. It's just like his attention span lasts for seconds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDino View Post
    My 2 year old DS has so much fun playing with his train tracks
    Oh DS does love his trains! The biggest problem we have is attention span... by the time we take 5 minutes to put it together (I always get him to help) he plays for 2 minutes and walks off. He will then come back and throw the pieces for absolutely no reason at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like I'm responding to everything with 'yeah but no' sorry. I'm just fresh out of ideas myself and can't seem to think of activities he can enjoy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he do better with running around activities?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's very active so yeah he does. He's just not wonderful with directions lol he's a typical boy 'forget the instructions' lol