+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default The Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    We might have to agree to disagree.
    I think it all adds up - some women focusing on physical beauty and adhering to male constructed social norms.....Makes it that little bit harder for other women to not be treated as objects, to be treated as equal and to demand and receive respect. Does it make abuse or lack of respect ok? No.
    I don't get that feeling at all when I look at "beauty" accounts on Instagram. And most of the followers of those accounts are female. And i think it's a stretch to say that these accounts contribute to disrespectful and abusive treatment of women. It's a bit OTT really..

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475579914.023103.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475579966.428105.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475579979.251223.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475579990.272482.jpg

These images give me good vibes when I see them on my Instagram feed. I don't for a second think, "these women are being objectified and are destroying everything that our feminist sisters have built for us!"
    Last edited by witherwings; 04-10-2016 at 21:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Attachment 84798
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475580085.212068.jpg

Both covers of men's magazines. Both genders have unrealistic expectations placed on them.

Which gender do you think comes off as more empowered, respected and in control?
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agreed. Have a look at the messaging in the male cover though. It's in a magazine for me and is very 'empowering.' "Big this, big that." Hardly the same effect as a picture of a woman in a bikini with her legs spread and washing a car (more subservient than empowering).

Sorry but you're not going to convince me that overall men have a raw deal when it comes to media pressures affecting their opportunities in life.
    Men who are small probably don't find it very empowering, probably more off-putting and isolating. Women do have a rawer deal, I was just highlighting that I don't think this is a women's issue - it's more a society in general issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I don't get that feeling at all when I look at "beauty" accounts on Instagram. And most of the followers of those accounts are female. And i think it's a stretch to say that these accounts contribute to disrespectful and abusive treatment of women. It's a bit OTT really..

Attachment 84799
    Attachment 84800
    Attachment 84801
    Attachment 84802

These images give me good vibes when I see them on my Instagram feed. I don't for a second think, "these women are being objectified and are destroying everything that our feminist sisters have built for us!"
    Those photos aren't too bad? You forgot to include the shots of Juddy in her bikini though - perhaps as that could have skewed the point you were trying to make?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default The Sisterhood

Those photos aren't too bad? You forgot to include the shots of Juddy in her bikini though - perhaps as that could have skewed the point you were trying to make?
    And you've selected one photo out of hundreds she's posted to focus on.

The problem is you make good points but your bias makes it difficult to see them.

Eta you didn't get back to me about Tess Holliday. She's applauded for being fat and proud. She posts photos in bikinis.

If Bec Judd wasn't advertising spray tan would you care about that photo?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default The Sisterhood

Do you think underarm hair preference is chromosomal based?
    Perhaps. I definitely think the fact that women naturally have more estrogen and men more testosterone automatically plays a part in how we view the world, preferences, etc. Not with everything but of course hormones play a big part in the workings of our brains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I agree but of all of those the existence or non existence of body hair is almost insignificant in my mind. A woman with or without underarm hair doesn't in any way shape or form contribute to women being overlooked for promotions at work, or men abusing their partners etc.
    Not wearing makeup could potentially see you passed over for a job or promotion though (ditto heavy makeup). It may not even be a conscious decision, just that the panel felt candidate A came across as "more polished" as opposed to her bare-faced, equally suited female rival.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Not wearing makeup could potentially see you passed over for a job or promotion though (ditto heavy makeup). It may not even be a conscious decision, just that the panel felt candidate A came across as "more polished" as opposed to her bare-faced, equally suited female rival.
    Let's face it so could being overweight. Or a person of colour. Where I work no one is overweight. It's never really occurred to me before but there may be an unconscious bias about that as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default The Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Eta you didn't get back to me about Tess Holliday. She's applauded for being fat and proud. She posts photos in bikinis.

If Bec Judd wasn't advertising spray tan would you care about that photo?
    Sorry - didn't know who Tess was. Just had a quick google and not a fan - seems to post a lot of photos of herself too. It's the focus on ones physical appearance and needing to toot to the general public that I dislike.

If judd wasn't advertising spray tanning yes I may still have a problem with the photo as she's all about the beauty industry - that's her pitch.

If a female posted a one off or limited series nudie photo of herself to take the pi$$ out of women who were self absorbed with their own appearance, I would probably high-5 that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But even you admitted that you didn't find that photo on Instagram...