+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    The thing is, we can't change history and that social conditioning has happened. So when do you draw a line and finally acknowledge women are making their own choices and not just acting like sheep? When do you give us our power back and accept that maybe we are actually doing something because we want to?

Boys and girls are different, we react differently to many different things, not just because of social conditioning.
    Agree entirely was trying to find the right way to express it. I have 3 daughters and of course I want them to know they are beautiful without make up. But I am realistic about the world they grow up in and honestly these days make up is the least of my worries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ss-trends.html

Why do most men not feel underarm hair is uncomfortable?
    They don't know any better?! Ha. Probably because if you have shaved once the hair goes back thick at the end instead of thin and soft.

I just want feminist energy to be used for something more useful than studying underarm hair. Eg helping stop gender violence

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-10-2016),atomicmama  (04-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2016),twinklify  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I think there is an element of conditioning in women that has led to shaving our legs and waxing our underarms etc, but you know what I actually don't care. I like having hair free smooth skin and I do think it looks more 'feminine'

Just like men STILL don't wear skirts and dresses (generally speaking) women STILL shave their legs and armpits. Meh.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2016),witherwings  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Boys and girls are different, we react differently to many different things, not just because of social conditioning.
    Do you think underarm hair preference is chromosomal based?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I just want feminist energy to be used for something more useful than studying underarm hair. Eg helping stop gender violence
    I agree. The thing is it all adds up. The "you run like a girl" comments. The "don't cry, that's what girls do" comments. The boys and girls toys in kids catalogues. The magazines in Supermarkets at kids eye level depicting scantily clad women with non underarm hair washing cars and spreading their legs. The Instagram photos of beautiful and smart women posing in bikinis (with no underage hair) flogging a spray tanning business. They all contribute to the gender issues plaguing society.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    I agree. The thing is it all adds up. The "you run like a girl" comments. The "don't cry, that's what girls do" comments. The boys and girls toys in kids catalogues. The magazines in Supermarkets at kids eye level depicting scantily clad women with non underarm hair washing cars and spreading their legs. The Instagram photos of beautiful and smart women posing in bikinis (with no underage hair) flogging a spray tanning business. They all contribute to the gender issues plaguing society.
    I agree but of all of those the existence or non existence of body hair is almost insignificant in my mind. A woman with or without underarm hair doesn't in any way shape or form contribute to women being overlooked for promotions at work, or men abusing their partners etc.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I agree but of all of those the existence or non existence of body hair is almost insignificant in my mind. A woman with or without underarm hair doesn't in any way shape or form contribute to women being overlooked for promotions at work, or men abusing their partners etc.
    We might have to agree to disagree.
    I think it all adds up - some women focusing on physical beauty and adhering to male constructed social norms.....Makes it that little bit harder for other women to not be treated as objects, to be treated as equal and to demand and receive respect. Does it make abuse or lack of respect ok? No.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Agree. Also the media setting unrealistic expectations of what people should look like is an issue for men too.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475579313.143048.jpg

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-10-2016),binnielici  (05-10-2016),Gentoo  (04-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default The Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Agree. Also the media setting unrealistic expectations of what people should look like is an issue for men too.

Attachment 84798
    Agreed. Have a look at the messaging in the male cover though. It's in a magazine for me and is very 'empowering.' "Big this, big that." Hardly the same effect as a picture of a woman in a bikini with her legs spread and washing a car (more subservient than empowering).

Sorry but you're not going to convince me that overall men have a raw deal when it comes to media pressures affecting their opportunities in life.
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-10-2016 at 21:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We might have to agree to disagree.
    I think it all adds up - some women focusing on physical beauty and adhering to male constructed social norms.....Makes it that little bit harder for other women to not be treated as objects, to be treated as equal and to demand and receive respect. Does it make abuse or lack of respect ok? No.
    I get it, just hair is a moot point for me. A problem would be if a woman wanted to have hairy arms and legs and bikini line and their partner shamed them into removing it.

I had a friend who when she was 19 was with a married man and she basically morphed into a barbie doll (dyed her hair blonde grew it long, started getting French polish acrylic nails - even had a boob job - but still felt she was so ugly!) all so he wouldn't break up with her that was wrong on so many levels and that is a legitimate example of expectations of beauty being placed on women which contributes to women being treated with no respect, but body hair? Still pretty meh on that.

But yes let's agree to disagree or we will go round in circles for a while