+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Had yet another thought before bed. Selfies - are they ever ok? An example is this. You have decided to get fit/lose weight etc etc. You take selfies to track progress and also post them on FB/IG for motivation. Is that still a no? Dependant on frequency? Or still don't think its necessary/ok/overkill/self obsessed?
    I do this all the time. If people want to call me self obsessed, that's fine. Doesn't bother me what people say about me. But I love seeing my progress in photos and I love sharing that progress with others. Obviously not right now as I'm only getting bigger (pregnant!) I even started a separate Instagram account to document my progress and clean eating.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475694221.378141.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Oh for Pete's sake! This quote really irritates me.

There is far more purpose to photographs than just to document how physically attractive someone is.

Selfies can be about capturing memories, sharing experiences with people that you care about that aren't there with you, to capture funny moments or inside jokes to send to someone else, or, in my case, because often I'm on my own and I would prefer there to be some physical record of my existence for my son to remember me by and there's no one else to take the damn picture!

It's a fact of life that we aren't all authors and journalists and actors and composers who can leave behind grand bodies of work, and one of the only things we can all leave behind is a memory of how we looked. That doesn't mean high self-worth or low self-worth has to always be tied up in it. It's just the way society has been through centuries of portraiture, self-portraiture, sculpture, photography and now selfies.

A person's appearance isn't their most important quality, no one here is disputing that, but it remains one of the only essences of ourselves that we can truly capture for posterity.
    Beautifully written! 🏼

3. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

harvs  (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I do this all the time. If people want to call me self obsessed, that's fine. Doesn't bother me what people say about me. But I love seeing my progress in photos and I love sharing that progress with others. Obviously not right now as I'm only getting bigger (pregnant!) I even started a separate Instagram account to document my progress and clean eating.

Attachment 84843
    I personally love seeing progress shots of other people too. But then again I have no issues with selfies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (06-10-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default The Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Of course some selfies are 'innocent' however you are kidding yourself if you think the traditional duck face selfie (or Judd's bikini selfie) is anything other than a desperate attempt for affirmation and a high tech reflection of the ****ed up way society has convinced girls that their physical attribute is their most important quality!
    I'm not kidding myself about anything! I wrote in my other post that I understand all viewpoints that are being presented here.

As I said, there is more than one reason to take a selfie and more than one type of selfie, and I don't think speaking in absolutes about *all* selfies or *all* people that take selfies is accurate or fair.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark;
    It's not disempowering to say someone is disempowered. It's an explanation of a state of being.
    But I think it *is* disempowering. I wear make up about three times a year. Always have done. And I can honestly tell you that, particularly since my separation, I don't give two f****s what anyone thinks about me, male or female. Not about my personality, not about my body, not about my looks, none of it.

So when I say that sometimes I put make up on if I need a bit of a lift and that it makes me feel better, and I do it for that reason only, for myself, and people turn around and say 'ha ha no you don't do it for yourself! You only think you do because you don't understand you've been manipulated and controlled by society and don't realise it!' then I believe that is disempowering. Someone 'explaining' my own state of being to me is disempowering and bordering on patronising.

Someone giving me an interesting social and cultural context for the world around me is completely different. It's a chance for a conversation. But that's different.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (06-10-2016),LoveLivesHere  (06-10-2016),twinklify  (06-10-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    With the traditional selfie (Judd's bikini selfie) there is no doubt in my mind that it's a high tech reflection of the ****ed up way society has convinced girls that their physical attributes are their most important quality. Considering that Judd has also blogged about the unfairness of being judged on her physical appearance I am going to hazard a guess and say she is in the dark about her own (subconscious) motives for the selfie.
    I should add I agree with this, although I didn't read her blog so would need more context. I mean, is she talking about posting that bikini shot and then going 'come on guys, don't just talk about my looks tee hee hee oh you!'

Or is she talking about posting a picture of having just birthed twins and people are arguing over whether she is wearing mascara in hospital?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default The Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I should add I agree with this, although I didn't read her blog so would need more context. I mean, is she talking about posting that bikini shot and then going 'come on guys, don't just talk about my looks tee hee hee oh you!'

Or is she talking about posting a picture of having just birthed twins and people are arguing over whether she is wearing mascara in hospital?
    Neither. My recollection was she posted a photo when she was pregnant and was criticised for being too thin.

Vicpark you show your bias in your posts. Did you even read her blog?

Here you go:

http://www.rebeccajuddloves.com/2014/10/30/omg-eat/

Worth reading.
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-10-2016 at 09:06.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (06-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Neither. My recollection was she posted a photo when she was pregnant and was criticised for being too thin.

Here you go:

Worth reading.
    Geez. I like her more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Geez. I like her more.
    Me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

Here you go:

Worth reading.
    Just out of curiously.. Is Rebecca Judd the pregnant one in that photo?

She makes some great points in her blog. And I wouldn't consider that photo a selfie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Just out of curiously.. Is Rebecca Judd the pregnant one in that photo?

She makes some great points in her blog. And I wouldn't consider that photo a selfie.
    Yep - she did mention it somewhere in the blog. She is 32 weeks pregnant there.