+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And for every argument there is the counter point

http://www.elle.com/life-love/a29197...ood-for-girls/

(I hate selfies by the way)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had yet another thought before bed. Selfies - are they ever ok? An example is this. You have decided to get fit/lose weight etc etc. You take selfies to track progress and also post them on FB/IG for motivation. Is that still a no? Dependant on frequency? Or still don't think its necessary/ok/overkill/self obsessed?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    ... "Stop this. Selfies aren't empowering; they're a high tech reflection of the ****ed up way society teaches women that their most important quality is their physical attractiveness."
    Oh for Pete's sake! This quote really irritates me.

There is far more purpose to photographs than just to document how physically attractive someone is.

Selfies can be about capturing memories, sharing experiences with people that you care about that aren't there with you, to capture funny moments or inside jokes to send to someone else, or, in my case, because often I'm on my own and I would prefer there to be some physical record of my existence for my son to remember me by and there's no one else to take the damn picture!

It's a fact of life that we aren't all authors and journalists and actors and composers who can leave behind grand bodies of work, and one of the only things we can all leave behind is a memory of how we looked. That doesn't mean high self-worth or low self-worth has to always be tied up in it. It's just the way society has been through centuries of portraiture, self-portraiture, sculpture, photography and now selfies.

A person's appearance isn't their most important quality, no one here is disputing that, but it remains one of the only essences of ourselves that we can truly capture for posterity.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-10-2016),gingermillie  (06-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (05-10-2016),LoveLivesHere  (06-10-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-10-2016),smallpotatoes  (06-10-2016),SuperGranny  (07-10-2016),twinklify  (06-10-2016),witherwings  (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:

Default The Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

There is far more purpose to photographs than just to document how physically attractive someone is.

Selfies can be about capturing memories, sharing experiences with people that you care about that aren't there with you, to capture funny moments or inside jokes to send to someone else, or, in my case, because often I'm on my own and I would prefer there to be some physical record of my existence for my son to remember me by and there's no one else to take the damn picture!

It's a fact of life that we aren't all authors and journalists and actors and composers who can leave behind grand bodies of work, and one of the only things we can all leave behind is a memory of how we looked. That doesn't mean high self-worth or low self-worth has to always be tied up in it. It's just the way society has been through centuries of portraiture, self-portraiture, sculpture, photography and now selfies.

A person's appearance isn't their most important quality, no one here is disputing that, but it remains one of the only essences of ourselves that we can truly capture for posterity.
    While I agree with the general sentiment of this I also agree with where vicpark is coming from. Not everyone views selfies with the eyes of experienced 30+ year olds. Many of 16 or 17 year olds who are intimated by what they see. They may not see the full journey just the skinny body at the end. Or the subtlety is completely lost on them. There are some selfies that are sad and make me worry about the mindset of the person posting.

There's no right or wrong answer hence my reluctance to judge. It's a messy minefield.
    Last edited by Sonja; 05-10-2016 at 22:58.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-10-2016),binnielici  (06-10-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I totally get where she is coming from too. A few years ago I would have been absolutely as resolute in that viewpoint as she is now. I teach pre-teens, I worry for them. I know that society is a messed up place for women and for young people in general, and that social media is making it more so. It's a total terrifying minefield.

I just feel that some of the statements being made (like the quote from the article) are so absolute that they don't give room for shades of grey, and I think that giving the message that women must be mistaken or in the dark about their own motives and feelings is actually just as disempowering as the alternative.

I probably don't make sense, and I was out of this thread a long time ago, because the truth is I can really see all viewpoints of this, but that quote just really got under my skin.

And it is starting to feel a bit personal because, as I said, it's pretty much selfies for me or nothing, so that's probably a good sign to graciously step away. Not that anyone is going to look at a pic of me and feel bad about themselves :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I totally get where she is coming from too. A few years ago I would have been absolutely as resolute in that viewpoint as she is now. I teach pre-teens, I worry for them. I know that society is a messed up place for women and for young people in general, and that social media is making it more so. It's a total terrifying minefield.

I just feel that some of the statements being made (like the quote from the article) are so absolute that they don't give room for shades of grey, and I think that giving the message that women must be mistaken or in the dark about their own motives and feelings is actually just as disempowering as the alternative.

I probably don't make sense, and I was out of this thread a long time ago, because the truth is I can really see all viewpoints of this, but that quote just really got under my skin.

And it is starting to feel a bit personal because, as I said, it's pretty much selfies for me or nothing, so that's probably a good sign to graciously step away. Not that anyone is going to look at a pic of me and feel bad about themselves :-)
    I bet your account is beautiful.

I'm firmly in the middle. Hence why I drill into those so strongly on the side.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    .... and I think that giving the message that women must be mistaken or in the dark about their own motives and feelings is actually just as disempowering as the alternative.
    :-)
    This sums up exactly what I've been thinking about the whole we only do something because are socially conditioned to do so comments.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-10-2016),binnielici  (06-10-2016),Sonja  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Of course some selfies are 'innocent' however you are kidding yourself if you think the traditional duck face selfie (or Judd's bikini selfie) is anything other than a desperate attempt for affirmation and a high tech reflection of the ****ed up way society has convinced girls that their physical attribute is their most important quality!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Had yet another thought before bed. Selfies - are they ever ok? An example is this. You have decided to get fit/lose weight etc etc. You take selfies to track progress and also post them on FB/IG for motivation. Is that still a no? Dependant on frequency? Or still don't think its necessary/ok/overkill/self obsessed?
    Talking them for on self - ok.
    Posting them (for friends of publicly) - mostly self obsessed and knobby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I think that giving the message that women must be mistaken or in the dark about their own motives and feelings is actually just as disempowering as the alternative.
    With the traditional selfie (Judd's bikini selfie) there is no doubt in my mind that it's a high tech reflection of the ****ed up way society has convinced girls that their physical attributes are their most important quality. Considering that Judd has also blogged about the unfairness of being judged on her physical appearance I am going to hazard a guess and say she is in the dark about her own (subconscious) motives for the selfie. It's not disempowering to say someone is disempowered. It's an explanation of a state of being.