+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default The Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    . I guess on the opposite side of social conditioning, when women do look a certain way (Bec Judds figure type) they are labelled as show offs and putting Pressure on other women etc. Not saying anyone on here has said that but that's a general observation from others.
    I'm going to hazard a guess that Judd having that show off/pressure rep has more to do with her publicly posting a tonne of selfies and flogging the beauty industry rather that her specific body type.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm going to hazard a guess that Judd having that show off/pressure rep has more to do with her publicly posting a tonne of selfies and flogging the beauty industry rather that her specific body type.
    So if she was a plus size model taking selfies and promoting the makeup industry do you still think people would have the same opinion? Just curious...
    I'm all for women being who they want to be and if that means taking selfies and promoting a product then so be it. I think it's unfair to make judgements on women full stop. Back tracking to the original concepts behind the thread, of course it's ok to have an opinion about things, it's what makes us who we are as individuals. So I understand the sentiment behind saying I wouldn't do that, or I feel using social media platforms to take selfies and promote beauty products is adding to the social conditioning of women. But I do think it breaks the 'sisterhood' when we signal women out and take a disliking based on difference of opinion or lifestyle. Additionally, I dislike the contradictory terms that we place on women based on looks or lifestyle. I feel if women stuck together, and supported each other 100% regardless of differences in opinion we could promote strength, compassion, respect and self worth to women all around the world

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So if she was a plus size model taking selfies and promoting the makeup industry do you still think people would have the same opinion? Just curious...
    I'm all for women being who they want to be and if that means taking selfies and promoting a product then so be it. I think it's unfair to make judgements on women full stop. Back tracking to the original concepts behind the thread, of course it's ok to have an opinion about things, it's what makes us who we are as individuals. So I understand the sentiment behind saying I wouldn't do that, or I feel using social media platforms to take selfies and promote beauty products is adding to the social conditioning of women. But I do think it breaks the 'sisterhood' when we signal women out and take a disliking based on difference of opinion or lifestyle. Additionally, I dislike the contradictory terms that we place on women based on looks or lifestyle. I feel if women stuck together, and supported each other 100% regardless of differences in opinion we could promote strength, compassion, respect and self worth to women all around the world
    I asked her in reference to Tess Holliday and she said no she was still a knob for posting selfies.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default The Sisterhood

. I think it's unfair to make judgements on women full stop.
    I don't. I feel if the activities of a woman are detrimental to other women (or kids or people in general even) then they are absolutely fair game for judging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't. I feel if the activities of a woman are detrimental to other women (or kids or people in general even) then they are absolutely fair game for judging.
    But again this is your opinion. If you take Tess Holliday she's held up as a role model for girls who don't fit the skinny mould. Or Ashley Graham. They are very popular for showing girls that it's ok not to be perfect.

The problem isn't that the beauty industry exists, or that people take selfies. The problem is it defines women by such a narrow margin as to what is beautiful it isolates the 95% of the population who don't fit that definition.

There are reasons why social media has age limits. As parents we need to be responsible for what we let our kids see. We don't live in a utopia where these problems aren't a reality.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (05-10-2016),binnielici  (06-10-2016),VicPark  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who defines them as being detrimental though? As a midwife I have seen so many women with different lifestyles. Its so easy to sit back and judge however some of their environmental or sociological influences are profound. We are the way we are for a multidimensional cascade of reasons. So for that reason, I am going to have to disagree with you. I feel judgements gets people no where. If someone is concerned enough to form a passionate judgement, then maybe education or building a platform for awareness would be a fantastic avenue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default The Sisterhood

Who defines them as being detrimental though? As a midwife I have seen so many women with different lifestyles. Its so easy to sit back and judge however some of their environmental or sociological influences are profound. We are the way we are for a multidimensional cascade of reasons. So for that reason, I am going to have to disagree with you. I feel judgements gets people no where. If someone is concerned enough to form a passionate judgement, then maybe education or building a platform for awareness would be a fantastic avenue
    Each individual will make their own judgements based on their values and life experiences.

We might have to agree to disagree - I feel judgement is the first step in every are of pround change that benefitted society. E.g women got the vote because a chunk of men judged that there current rules restricting women were crap! Without judgement there is no change and without change women will continue to be screwed. Literally and figuratively.

Are you sure your objection is with judging itself as opposed to just being a **** about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each individual will make their own judgements based on their values and life experiences.

We might have to agree to disagree - I feel judgement is the first step in every are of pround change that benefitted society. E.g women got the vote because a chunk of men judged that there current rules restricting women were crap! Without judgement there is no change and without change women will continue to be screwed. Literally and figuratively.

Are you sure your objection is with judging itself as opposed to just being a **** about it?
    Yes I think we might But that the beauty of life, we all have our own values and beliefs!

I don't see positive change as being based upon initial judgement, I think change occurs from opening your awareness of a situation and developing deep perspectives, education and passion. As I said previously, having an opinion or belief is paramount, its shapes who we are. Very different to judging a person on a personal level.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-10-2016),VicPark  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Where does the notion of being "brave" for going out without make up or whatever come from?
    I'm one who has posted about the 'brave' step of not wearing makeup to work. For me, given the sum total of my life experiences to this point, I needed courage to do it. It felt like a risk.

Just as to you, being in charge of 25+ 12 year olds may take some bravery and take you waaaay outside your comfort zone, but it's no biggie for me.

I don't know if it's become a 'thing' in general but I do remember my FB feed being scattered with makeup free selfies a while back. I has such s live hate relationship with these. I loved seeing women as nature intended. But I just don't like the whole selfie thing full.stop. Pius, why should it be a big deal if you have no makeup on? (Which is sort of what you were saying too).

I don't think it should take bravery to wear no makeup and it's awesome that lots of women don't give going barefaced in a range of situations a second thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default The Sisterhood

Just found this cracker of an article:

http://jezebel.com/selfies-arent-emp...elp-1468965365

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475666800.888675.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475666831.638618.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475666853.538693.jpg

"the selfie evangelist. Selfies are just dandy, they say, because they're a way for people (mostly young women) to express themselves and to show pride in who they are. To insult the selfie is to insult WOMEN IN GENERAL, and that's, like, against the rules of feminism. Besides, selfies are here to stay! Get used to it!"
    ... "Stop this. Selfies aren't empowering; they're a high tech reflection of the ****ed up way society teaches women that their most important quality is their physical attractiveness."

I rest my case. Goodnight.
    Last edited by VicPark; 05-10-2016 at 21:35.