+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    On the whole Bec Judd conversation...

I think it's awesome that she owns her body and is proud of it. Whether you are a size 6 or a size 26 every woman should have the right to be proud and own who they are. I guess on the opposite side of social conditioning, when women do look a certain way (Bec Judds figure type) they are labelled as show offs and putting Pressure on other women etc. Not saying anyone on here has said that but that's a general observation from others. I love her fit and healthy lifestyle, it inspires me. As does a bigger sized woman that shines confidence and curves (so envious of women with curves). So I believe that every woman regardless of size, clothes, hair colour, line of work etc has the right to be proud of who they are and their lifestyle. That to me is being a feminist and supporting the sisterhood ������
    No one is saying she shouldn't be proud of her body. I agree with you, women should be proud of who they are, inside and out. But the feminist in me also says that with great power comes great responsibility (thank you Spiderman ). I also wonder if she was a size 26, in the same swim suit, in the same poses what reactions she would get?

One WAG who comes straight to mind who I like is Coleen Rooney, married to Wanye Rooney of Manchester United. She is beautiful, but actively used her celeb in the UK to fight for positive body image, hates the photoshopping /obsessiveness of stardom, even had a show about it. She'll dress up for functions and look amazing, she goes to the gym. But will happily be seen in a pair of jeans and T with no make up. I find her relatible, down to earth and she realises the power of the beauty industry.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Where does the notion of being "brave" for going out without make up or whatever come from? I've seen it speckled through posts here and there? I don't wear make up, I don't own any. I wore it on my wedding for two reasons (the photographer says it's nicer and I was playing dress ups anyway so may as well go whole hog right?) but I am in no way "brave". I shave under my arms because once it gets to a certain length, I can smell my own BO, so I just shave when I start to smell it. My legs are hairy half the time, pure laziness and the fact I don't really give a **** what they look like. I do love putting my cotton trackies on right after I epilate them though, because it so shiny and smooth and feels swishy which is nice for me. They're hairy now though.
    Still not "brave", I just don't know why it matters.
    I couldn't tell you if any of the last 10 women I spoke to have make up on or shaved legs. It doesn't even cross my mind to look. In the Bec pic, people started pointing out mascara on one of the pics. What makes you look close enough to see it?

I guess I'm just more likely to notice a weird looking lamp in the background of a photo than make up. I literally do not ever think to see what make up other girls wear.

I think I just see a girl putting on make up or picking a pretty dress, in the likes of me picking an aesthetically pleasing day planner, or couch. Seeing nice looking things makes me happy. I don't want my daughter to think she can't feel pretty if she wants to because she would be anti-feminist or sending a poor message out. I don't want her to ONLY feel pretty, but I don't want her to feel ashamed if feeling pretty makes her happy.

I had no idea who Bec Judd was. Still don't really. But I know pretty little about celebrities. I don't follow tabloids or any "social news" sites. I don't follow celebs on FB or IG, so I guess I'm just really sheltered to this whole beauty industry thing. Bubhub is literally the only window I have into it at all. (I've heard the Kardashian name and still don't really know who they are?!)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (05-10-2016),gingermillie  (05-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (05-10-2016),Renn  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm into the AFL, has been since a child so obviously keep up with afl related news. She also also been in the news quite a bit the last few months because of the twins.
    Ok I was genuinely curious why you had formed such a low opinion of her. I'm very into afl as well but still outside of her family didn't know that much about her until I snooped on her Instagram.

For me to say I couldn't stand someone I'd have to have had a really bad run in with them I suppose I was wondering what I was missing.

I think so much damage is being done by trump at the moment to women a few selfies don't even rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Where does the notion of being "brave" for going out without make up or whatever come from?
    Some women wear make up to tone down things about themselves they don't like, like freckles, or rosea. Some women feel an unsaid pressure to at least wear the basics to look 'pretty'. Rooney is a pretty big celeb in the UK, or was 5-10 years ago especially. Not wearing make up is not a common thing for a WAG over there.

It's nice you don't feel the need to wear make up, or don't think it's brave. But for some it is almost like stepping out in only underwear. It makes them feel naked.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im glad someone else has said they don't know bec judd. I was thinking of an actor ? or even a country music singer. ?? I have no, absolutely zero, interest in any football, so I had no idea who we were talking about. nevermind that. I feel women today have a considerable amount of freedom regarding what they wear or how they look, but I do see that there is a long way to go yet. Women are not accepted as equal on many levels. Imagine how many magazines they would sell if the average person male or female was put on the covers. marie.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (05-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Ok I was genuinely curious why you had formed such a low opinion of her. I'm very into afl as well but still outside of her family didn't know that much about her until I snooped on her Instagram.

For me to say I couldn't stand someone I'd have to have had a really bad run in with them I suppose I was wondering what I was missing.

I think so much damage is being done by trump at the moment to women a few selfies don't even rate.
    I said in my first post I couldn't stand her but it's not like I throw darts at a picture of her in my room As I clarified, I'm just not a fan of her. I also can't stand KK, I find Andrew O'Keefe's voice so annoying like finger nails down a chalk board and something about Bindii Irvin makes my eye twitch.

*shrugs* surely it's not that crazy that someone finds a celeb dislikable??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I said in my first post I couldn't stand her but it's not like I throw darts at a picture of her in my room As I clarified, I'm just not a fan of her. I also can't stand KK, I find Andrew O'Keefe's voice so annoying like finger nails down a chalk board and something about Bindii Irvin makes my eye twitch.

*shrugs* surely it's not that crazy that someone finds a celeb dislikable??
    No like I said just genuinely interested as I wouldn't even consider her a "celeb". Apart from being a WAG I don't ever come across her. Anyway moving on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default The Sisterhood

Some women wear make up to tone down things about themselves they don't like, like freckles, or rosea. Some women feel an unsaid pressure to at least wear the basics to look 'pretty'. Rooney is a pretty big celeb in the UK, or was 5-10 years ago especially. Not wearing make up is not a common thing for a WAG over there.

It's nice you don't feel the need to wear make up, or don't think it's brave. But for some it is almost like stepping out in only underwear. It makes them feel naked.
    Are you serious? I don't pay may attention to the WAGS over here, I don't buy things like OK magazine often enough, and haven't really paid attention to Rooney since they first became famous (the first time we lived in London). BUT when I do see them or from what I have seen having a few friends that have friends that are WAGS (or desperately trying to become one) they are some of the most made up girls you've ever seen! And love their selfies and duck faces!

Eta: scratch that, missed the 'not' a common thing in your post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Are you serious? I don't pay may attention to the WAGS over here, I don't buy things like OK magazine often enough, and haven't really paid attention to Rooney since they first became famous (the first time we lived in London). BUT when I do see them or from what I have seen having a few friends that have friends that are WAGS (or desperately trying to become one) they are some of the most made up girls you've ever seen! And love their selfies and duck faces!

Eta: scratch that, missed the 'not' a common thing in your post!
    lol oh yeah the soccer WAGS make ours look tame!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have zero interest in footballer wives or celebrities generally, i hardly ever watch or read the news let alone gossip stuff about people's personal lives. I "follow" certain people on Instagram for 2 reasons - either because they are friends & family or because their photos inspire me or make me feel good. E.g. Travel photographers, people in the fitness industry, people who make beautiful healthy food, people who snowboard, and beautiful people in general.

I admit that when I see images of (in my eyes) beautiful healthy-looking women or super fit/strong individuals (men or women) it makes me aspire to be like that too. I don't expect to look like them but I want to achieve that level of self-satisfaction. Does this mean I am socially conditioned? Probably. Yes I guess when I go shopping for clothes and I can't fit into the items I like, it makes me feel down, and if I get complimented by someone on my weight loss or on my appearance generally it makes me feel good.
    If I'm above my "ideal" weight I don't feel as attractive (I still think I'm hot though haha!) I'm sure if we were living in a different time with different trends, I might not feel the way I feel, but I'm happy to set goals for myself to reach a level of health/fitness/beauty that makes me feel happy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I also doubt that the women who are considered stick-thin/beauty models or whatever ever feel fully satisfied with themselves, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Striving to improve or better yourself whether intellectually or physically or emotionally I think is normal.

One of the people I follow on Instagram is my crossfit trainer. He has an amazing body and constantly posts photos of himself in incredible crossfit poses. You couldn't imagine he could get any fitter and yet he continues to aim for a higher level of fitness and health than his status quo. It's inspiring! And that doesn't make me feel oppressed and I don't feel like I'm a sheep either.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (05-10-2016)