+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Taking young kids out at night

Do you do it? How old are they? How do they behave?

Watching the NRL grand final and saw a little boy in the crowd who would have been maybe 2 at the most. I took my 2yo and 5yo out for dinner at 5:30 last night and it was a bit painful! 5yo is fine but the 2yo just can't sit still and has zero patience at the moment!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-10-2016),PeanutsMummy  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah pretty much never, lol. They are 2 and 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't go out fancy places a whole lot as there is nothing near where I live. We do have a community area on my street that we go for bbqs at with other people from my street (our street belongs to hubby's work so everyone knows each other). We often stay there quite late with the kids running amok. Often by the end of the night, they will be sitting watching the telly inside the building or falling asleep on the couches. They are 6, 4, 3 and 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always done it so I guess my 3 are used to it. However I always pack toys or pencils/paper and sometimes a DVDs player. Also make it an early dinner (6pm and home by 8pm). It also helps to go somewhere where there is a play area and I get a table close by. My youngest is happy to stay with mummy so that makes it easier. If we are with other people conversation can be a bit broken (attending to kids etc) but at least we still get to catch up. My girls are 8, 6 and 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do and always have. It only takes a few times for them to learn what is acceptable behaviour. Ours know to use inside voices, manners, sit at the table etc unless there is a kids area. They are good kids so not really a drama. I have an 8,6,3 year old. But as I said I always have and for several years I was a single mum and still did

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't generally have the kids out late very often. DS is now 7 so copes pretty well out late once in a while. DD is not 2 yet and we occasionally take her out to a child friendly place for an early dinner but that's about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. We very rarely go out. DS is nearly 2, and he really struggles with sitting still. It doesn't matter how many toys we pack for him, he really struggles to stay in the one spot. And the more tired he gets, the more active he gets. He's even like this at day care - when all the other kids are sitting, he's moving. Also, we've worked so hard on his sleep (getting him to sleep, getting him to stay asleep), and he's improved so much that it makes me reluctant to disrupt his routine too much.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Occasionally I would take my kids out at night - not all the time, just for special occasions. If my team was playing in a grand final I wouldn't hesitate to take them out to a function at a friends house.

My kids are 2.5 and nearly 5. They sleep in (non school days until 8:00amish). If I let the DS2 nap for a little longer than normal during the day then he will be find until 9pm or 10. Ds1 will need an afternoon nap too (only has one when we go for a drive) otherwise he won't last.

When the boys were young (pre 1 day nap) I was more hesitant to take them out at night because it screws with their naps the next day more. Too much disruption in the early days, too many screwy day naps can lead to disrupted night sleep. If it was a very special occasion I would do it and just suffer/accept the consequences.

There is a hubber who has a lot of family functions at night and it's normal for her kids to be out and about. It works for her as her kids (and herself sometimes) have big massive sleeps during the day. Works for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always have but generally kid-friendly places/events where they can have a run. My two are very energetic and once they get their dessert-induced second wind they need to move.

It always takes a bit of planning though such as making sure their day before is pretty chilled and that they can sleep in the day after. Plus for restaurant dinners we always pack a bag of tricks (DVD player, colouring, small toys etc).

DD didn't start going to the football until about 5 as she just would not have coped with being in the one spot all that time. She went to her first late night finishing game recently at 8.5y and that was still a bit much for her.

Some kids have a late start late to bed routine though. So our late is their normal. We are out at night a lot more when travelling with no work/daycare the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We generally don't. DS is almst 2 and DD is almost 5. Exception would be Christmas when we go to see the lights or Skyfire

DD'S bedtime is 8 but honestly she could probably stay up later fine. If there's something I wanted to take her to at night she'd be ok.

DS on the other hand is ratty around 630 and ready for bed. We start his bedtime routine around 630, and hes usually in bed by 7/730. Being 2 he can't really deal with his tiredness