+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 5yr old still wetting bed at night

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice or just tell me this is normal..

My DS1 is turning 5 next weekend and he still wets the bed at night.

We stopped putting night nappies on him about 6 months ago but we recently moved to a new house about 6 weeks ago.

Before we moved, he would often wake in the middle of the night and go to the toilet. He had accidents sometimes, because he is a really heavy sleeper and I assume the need to pee isn't strong enough to wake him.
    So we stopped letting him have his drink bottle in bed and it seemed to help.

But since moving, he will have an accident every single night in bed unless we wake him at least one time at 11pm or midnight to make him go. He will stand there practically asleep and pee in the toilet then stumble back to bed and fall back into deep sleep.

I'm not sure how much longer we can keep doing this. It seems ridiculous that we have a 5yr old child that we need to wake in the middle of the night EVERY night.

He goes to the toilet right before bed (around 8pm) and the last drink he has is usually around 7. Should we be cutting him off from drinks earlier? I'm thinking that considering he won't wake up himself, we need to make the last water much earlier but it will be painful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He will grow out of it, its time and probably the move that has caused some change in him. Is he comfortable finding the toilet in the new house on his own? Jocks with a pull up over the top would be the go - lets them know they have wet and doesn't require bed linen change. And if he doesn't wet you can re use the pull up. Goodluck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If you've tried all the usual things (night light near toilet rewards) and 5 year old isn't having dry nights don't stress. Maybe put pull ups back in him until he is ready. I certainly wouldn't continue to wash sheets and bedding every day. Or even deny drinks/wake through the night.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (02-10-2016),witherwings  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's still really common to be wet at night at 5, especially if they are a heavy sleeper. My 5yo is a heavy sleeper,she just wont wake up to use the toilet. I dont limit drinks, but she doesnt have a drink bottle in bed - she can have a drink of water at bedtime at 7pm. Then I put her on the toilet at around 9.30-10.30pm every night &she does a wee. If I dont put her on the toilet, she will wet. She is almost always dry in the morning if I do pop her on the toilet. I expect I will have to do this for another year or so, but will just see how she goes & when she is ready - you just have to follow their lead.

Could you take him to the toilet a bit earlier, like before you go to bed every night just make it a part of your evening routine? I personally dont like the idea of limiting drinks too much. I've heard of people aaying 'no drinks after 4pm' which I just couldnt do - imagine being thirsty and trying to eat dinner with no drink!
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 02-10-2016 at 08:11.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's easy for him to find the toilet. It's literally just outside his room. So it's not that.. And I leave a light on in the bathroom so he isn't scared. But he just won't wake up

I really don't want to restrict water, particularly as he isn't going to sleep with his drink bottle. we usually finish dinner at 7 and that's the last time he drinks water usually. I usually don't let him have water after dinner, but sometimes he insists that he is really thirsty and then this usually results in an early bed wetting (eg I'll go in at 11 and he's already wet the bed).

I'll try the pull ups over underwear, that's a great suggestion! And also taking him to toilet earlier, around 10.30.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your feedback ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is in Prep, and several of the other Mums have said that their 5-6 year-olds still have accidents at night. My son wore Pull-Ups at night until he was a few months past 5.

One of my Mothers' Group friends (whose daughter is nearly 6 and still wets at night) told us that she "Russian Dolls" her bed...so layer of mattress protector then fitted sheet, mattress protector then fitted sheet, etc. So, in the middle of the night if the bed is wet, she can just strip one layer of mattress protector and fitted sheet, and bang...bed is ready! I thought that was a great idea.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (02-10-2016),witherwings  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it's well within the normal ranges for a 5 year old to still wet the bed. Our 7 year old DD still wets once or twice a week. She was wetting every night at 5. She's getting there, it's just a waiting game.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies! That makes me feel a lot better. It makes it easier not to get upset when I know it's normal. I like the Russian doll idea too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing to bear in mind is the stress of moving. It appears there is a clear trigger (move/new house) and he has regressed a bit and that is very normal. I see you are expecting a bub and such regressions are also frequently triggered by a new arrival. The suggestions here might help and at least reduce your workload. Another option might be a bed wetting alarm? Also I wouldn't be restricting his water intake, particularly as we head towards summer.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagingi For This Useful Post: