+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying a degree from home

Hi! Just want to know if there are other mums out there doing uni studies from home with little ones?? I'm really wanting to start a Ba Languages in October, and expecting my first bub in January (crazy?! feasible?). I still work fulltime until Jan, and help the other half run our 2 businesses as well.

Would love to hear how others have managed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm expecting my first in December/ Jan. I am studying my masters from home and work full time, but I'll have next year off. I figure it'a not going to get easier from here so may as well do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my final unit of my masters left - was scheduled to start in October - but baby #1 due in November - so have deferred till February

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm planning on studying a bachelors shortly and I have 4 little ones but 1 goes to school and 3 are in preschool 3 days a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hun it's hard to say how things will go until you know what type of baby you will have.

I've studied without kids and that had it's own challenges. Me personally, there's no way I would study until my youngest is 4. Definatley not in the first year. That's just me though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hun it's hard to say how things will go until you know what type of baby you will have.
    This.

I enrolled into an online Interior Decoration Certificate before having DD (my first) so I had something to 'fill in the time' while I was on Mat leave. Boy wasn't THAT a mistake. I had a high needs baby for the first 7 - 8 months and got nothing in.

I now have 2 and when my DS was 1.5 and DD 4, I started my certificate in interior Decoration again (this time through TAFE) and have just been doing 2 subjects.

I would advise maybe wait until Bub is at least 6 months old and do 1 or 2 subjects to begin with. Given your other things on the go, add in a baby to the mix (any kind of baby - easy or higher needs) and I can't see how you would successfully study in the beginning. But that's just me.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 3 children (8,6 and 3) and study a bachelor of psychological science from home, whilst working part time and running off to dancing, tennis, swimming, football and all other related activities for the kids. It's hectic, sometimes stressful but very doable. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are one crazy moose . Hats off to you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

1CrazyMoose  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I have 3 children (8,6 and 3) and study a bachelor of psychological science from home, whilst working part time and running off to dancing, tennis, swimming, football and all other related activities for the kids. It's hectic, sometimes stressful but very doable. Good luck!
    Wow. How many subjects do you do per semester?

I'm studying and working fulltime with 2 school aged kids and its freaking hard. I've dropped down to 1 subject per semester but next year need to pick 2 subjects per semester back up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's doable but you need to be super organised, disciplined and motivated. I personally would not start until bub is 6 months old. For me the first 6 months were hideous and there is no way I could have found time or mental energy to study.
    I went back to my masters degree (external) when DD was 7 months old. I also went back to work 1.5 days a week at the same time. I did one subject last semester and this semester (now working 2.5 days a week) I had hoped to do 2 subjects but my DH is away for the whole semester interstate so I dropped back to one.
    I have found it very difficult to find the time but that is a lot to do with my job which is very busy and not confined to 2.5 days and also with DH being away.
    I am actually a Uni lecturer and half of my workload is teaching online and I have been teaching in that format for many years. In my experience a lot of my external students struggle. As I said you need more organisation, motivation and discipline to study externally as it is so easy to let other stuff encroach. But it is doable but I would wait til bub is a few months old so you are more settled.
    Hope this hasn't been too negative! I see it from both sides though as both an external student myself and an online educator.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (02-10-2016),Kazzy36  (02-10-2016)