+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any tips for a nasty cold while BF?

Little man is almost 6 weeks old and my immune system seems like it was evicted along with him. I have been pretty much constantly sick since his arrival and after a few days respite my cold is back with vengeance. My throat is beyond sore, my snot is green, I have a cough with is brilliant for my post c-sec tummy, constant headaches, chills and every muscle that could hurt certainly is. Little man has also been unsettled the last couple of days and is only prepared to sleep while being cuddled and on the b00b. I can't even feed without my arm and back killing. As I'm breastfeeding I've just been relying on strepsils and the occasional panadol which has been totally useless. I'm turning into an emotional wreck and crying at the drop of a hat. I've been waiting for a baby in my arms for so long and want to feel OK enough to enjoy him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh hugs honey. Being sick and feeding a newborn is so draining physically and emotionally.

A positive of illness while breastfeeding is your little man is getting all the antibodies right now.

Are you able to feed lying down? It's a life saver when sick. I find when they're really little like your DS a pillow propped up my back helps me stay in position for them.

Will your DS take a bottle of EBM? Mine never do but it's worth a try.

Otherwise can your DH take him between feeds so you're able to rest and sleep. He can bring him back changed and ready to feed them take him away again.

Panadol is totally safe while feeding so don't stress about it. Be careful with cold/flu medications. As breastmilk is like a mucus - weird I know - and anything aimed at drying up mucus can impact your supply.

Hope you feel better soon. I recently had to feed DS3 through about of gastro - he was fine and I was dying!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice lovely. Thankfully little man has so far escaped unscathed. I've been contemplating expressing but as of yet I've been to lazy, I think it's worth a try. Bub is such a guts I'm pretty sure he'd drink from anything! We've pretty much mastered feeding lying down but Mr. 5 is on holiday s which makes lying down a challenge.

I've been avoiding decongestants for fear of harming my supply but I would kill for a lemsip.

I'm sorry to hear you've had gastro, that sounds unbearable with two little ones to look after. Glad you're feeling better and S managed to avoid it! There's so many bugs going around at the moment, let's hope the rain washes them away!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the original lemsip when I was breastfeeding- I'm pretty sure it's just the lemsip max that should be avoided (as it contains a decongestant). This was a life saver.

I also got some elderberry tea to drink - it's supposed to be good for immunity so I thought it was worth trying.

I also used a throat spray (Difflam) - was amazing and didn't affect my supply but I've had one pharmacy say it was ok to use and another said not while breastfeeding so maybe see what your pharmacist says.

Definitely try feeding lying down as PP suggested or use pillows under your arm and baby to support so you can rest your arms and back.

I really hope you get better soon!

Best wishes

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being sick with a baby is so hard, I feel for you.
    I found panadol, breathing in the steam from Vicks in boiling water and flushing out my nose with a nasal douche really helped.

Be careful with the Strepsils, I was told not to take them while feeding xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Any tips for a nasty cold while BF?

I really feel for you, DD2 is 6 months old and I've been sick about 8 times since she was born, it's so hard being sick with a baby, and having your 5 year old at home would make it even more difficult.

I found lying down to feed a lifesaver, a couple of times I've basically been in bed for a whole day or two with fever etc and DH just brings her in to feed while I'm half asleep then takes her away. Any chance of your partner doing something like that at least over the weekend, a couple of days of good solid rest does the world of good.

Also like PPs Panadol, Vicks and some hot lemon and honey tea helps a lot. Also chicken soup.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Last edited by Mama Mirabelle; 01-10-2016 at 23:25.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can take nurofen when feeding too, might find it better than the panadol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    sorry to hear you're sick! if your snot is green I suggest getting to the gp for some antibiotics. I had erythromycin for tonsilitis whilst pregnant, I can only assume it's therefore safe whilst BF? worth looking into anyway.

panadol and nurofen are a very effective pain management combination. have you got any drugs left over from the cs? a tramadol might help shift the constant headache?

I'd also be cranking the steam, Vicks, heat pack on the head and you could try those head ache sticks? just be careful you don't accidentally get any of the essential oils on your little man.

big hugs, can't imagine how annoying and painful the cough would be after a cs.

are you taking any supplements for immunity support? xx

15. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP - try a saline nasal rinse over decongestant. You can take nasal spray as well without harming supply.

Nurofen and Panadol are both fine to take.

Lemsip is pretty much paracetemol in a hot drink - take some paracetemol and make hot lemon/honey drink or lemon/ginger tea instead.

Green snot is not always a sign of needing antibiotics. I would see a dr to rule out chest infections/flu etc as well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used fenugreek seeds which clears congestion and boosts your milk supply. Win win! Rather than the expensive tablets, I bought a pack of seeds for $2 and mixed a teaspoon in a glass of water. Not the tastiest thing but worked great. If you take it often, your wee and sweat will smell like maple syrup but that means it's working

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bc1984 For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (02-10-2016)