+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Daylight savings and toddler sleep

What experiences have people had with daylight savings (I'm in SA) and toddler sleeping patterns? Does it matter at all? I hadn't thought about it til it hit me last night and now and I'm wondering if it will affect DDs sleep at all. She is 15 months old now and for the past 3 months or so has been in an excellent sleep routine (sorry fellow sh1t sleeper club members). Her day looks like this:
    I wake her up at 7:30am
    Nap at 10:30/10:45-12pm
    Nap 3-4:30pm
    Bedtime 7:30pm and sleeps through til 7:30am.

Tomorrow I am planning to wake her at 8am (so technically 7am) and then keep her nap at 3hrs after wake time so nap 11-12pm and 3-4:30pm as usual and bed at 7:30.
    Am I being super naïve thinking she will just adjust her usual 12hour cycle like this? I would have thought end of daylight savings would be harder as it's generally harder to make them sleep an extra hour than to take an hour away. But I really have no idea. Hopefully I am overthinking this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing... I forgot that was happening. I am going to keep my monkeys up late and see how it plays out tomorrow.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Subbing... I forgot that was happening. I am going to keep my monkeys up late and see how it plays out tomorrow.
    Shouldn't you be doing the opposite?
    Like, as clocks go forward don't you want them in bed earlier as 7pm tomorrow will now be 8pm iykwim? And if they wake at 7am it'll now be 8am - so if you keep them up late tonight they might be up really late and have a later nap/bedtime -unless you want a later start/bedtime?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-10-2016 at 18:02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

@gingermillie seems like a good plan.
    I have found for whatever reason dd1 adjusted quickly with a bit of planning re naps/bed. Though it never worked changing her body clock at any other time of the year lol!

Daylight savings and back always stresses me out and does my head in. Personally I hate it. I like to be up early and into bed early, and it's depressing when you get up in the dark yet the sun is still up when you try to go to bed lol.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-10-2016 at 18:03.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It may take a few days to even out and I have found 20 minute intervals best. So my kids (2 and 19months) sleep 7-7 therefore Thursday night was down at 6:40pm, Friday night down at 6:20pm tonight down at 6pm. We have changed all our clocks this morning so the day ran more smoothly. Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Shouldn't you be doing the opposite?
    Like, as clocks go forward don't you want them in bed earlier as 7pm tomorrow will now be 8pm iykwim? And if they wake at 7am it'll now be 8am - so if you keep them up late tonight they might be up really late and have a later nap/bedtime -unless you want a later start/bedtime?
    Haha! Yes, that's exactly what I meant!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    @gingermillie seems like a good plan.
    I have found for whatever reason dd1 adjusted quickly with a bit of planning re naps/bed. Though it never worked changing her body clock at any other time of the year lol!

Daylight savings and back always stresses me out and does my head in. Personally I hate it. I like to be up early and into bed early, and it's depressing when you get up in the dark yet the sun is still up when you try to go to bed lol.
    Yeah I'm hoping I can adjust it by naps tomorrow as most days at the moment I am having to wake her from her naps to keep to our routine so I am hoping she doesn't even notice the difference! She seems to cope ok with the odd day of different nap time/length so fingers crossed.
    I am so not a morning person so I'm hating the light mornings I may have covered DDs window in black cardboard too looks terrible but it worked haha!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Haha! Yes, that's exactly what I meant!
    I'm doing similar with dd2 as she wakes at 430/5am and is dying for bed by 530pm so am stuck in a vicious cycle of early rising, attempting to stretch her and overtiredness at night. Hoping the clock change will sort her body clock out. Fingers crossed!!!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-10-2016 at 18:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ds2 is still sleeping and it's nearly 8am im thinking I'll wake him in 10 mins if he doesn't get up himself..

We didn't do any preparation for the time change, we just tried to stick to the normal routine, which was fine for day nap yesterday but they didn't go to sleep until 10pm last night

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    ds2 is still sleeping and it's nearly 8am im thinking I'll wake him in 10 mins if he doesn't get up himself..

We didn't do any preparation for the time change, we just tried to stick to the normal routine, which was fine for day nap yesterday but they didn't go to sleep until 10pm last night
    Same here was nearly 10pm last night for us then I had to wake her At 8.30 this morning. I told daycare to try not to let her sleep past 2pm today so we can try for an earlier bedtime tonight. It's tricky isn't it??

Good luck, hope it gets better for both of us!