+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help Please with car seat choice

Hi there
    i am really struggling to decide between the britax Millenia and the britax platinum pro car seats for my 9 month old who is coming out of the capsule.
    Safety is my number 1 concern, but we have been told they are equal on safety, in which case would prefer the Millenia as less bulky and also able to be used on a plane. However, I find it hard to believe that the platinum is not safer as it includes the side impact plastic and they charge an extra 100 for it.
    the platinum is a bit big for my our car but it will go at a push.
    i just want our baby to be as safe as possible.
    thanks for any tips

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dont let price make you think its safer.
    All seats sold in australia have to pass stringent safety checks.

I dont know the website myself but i recall hearing theres one you can compare safety ratings on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The two you are looking at are same seat except the PRO has an additional safety feature so one would assume it's a little safer. I'd get the PRO if it fits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Dont let price make you think its safer.
    All seats sold in australia have to pass stringent safety checks.

I dont know the website myself but i recall hearing theres one you can compare safety ratings on
    There is a website but at the moment it's a couple of years out of date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the platinum pro and I love it. We were told (by Kidssafe) that all car seats have to meet Australian Standards so all seats are safe but then some seats exceed the standards. We were told that this seat is the safest (and were lucky to get it on sale).
    My son travels great in the car, I think the seat definitely helps as he was terrible in the capsule.

I think that the platinum has higher markers for facing forward than the Millenia, it is one of the seats that can stay rear facing for the longest.

If you're going to have it rear facing, test it first. We have ours behind the passenger seat (I have an X-trail) and there is not a great deal of leg room in the front now. If we had it in the middle, my Hubby wouldn't be able to drive my car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the millenia and can't fault it. My son is still rear facing at nearly 2.5 years in it and always looks really comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your child will be safest if it is correctly restrained in a correctly fitted seat. This sounds obvious but most children are not. Some little tips that I have learnt over the last few years..... Read the whole instruction manual that comes with your seat. Make sure it is installed firmly and correctly. So test both seats in your car and see if one sits better or firmer then the other. Learn about correctly strap positions, learn about correct strap tightness, adjust strap tightness every time you put baby in, never allow straps to be twisted, don't let you child wear bulky clothes while in their seat, teach your child to tell you if the straps come undone, DO NOT move you child up to the next stage of restraint until they meet the markers (not based on age)- so stay rear facing as long as possible and then stay harnessed as long as possible.
    These things will make a tangible difference in how safe your child is while you are driving MUCH more then buying the most expensive seat. Good luck. X