+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sunny Coast - reccomend me...?

...a suburb to live in that is not too far from Caloundra?

DH has just got a job at Caloundra and we'll be moving up there late November or December.

I'm not too familiar with the Sunny Coast, so looking for suburb reccomendations please

Some of our 'wants':

- family friendly
    - preferably beachside
    - good schools/daycare
    - not too far to shopping precinct/centre
    - not too far to commute to Caloundra (15-20 mins max)

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a little bump for the night crew! Any sunny coasters out there that can help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats on the job and the move!

I have never lived in Caloundra, but it's a fairly family friendly area. It really depends on what you're after, the Caloundra beachside suburbs (Moffat, Dicky Beach, Golden Beach etc) are older suburbs with older style houses. But right on the beach. Pelican Waters is a newer estate about 5 mins inland/south where there are fabulous new/ish large designer type homes, some on the water, some on the golf course etc.

As you travel north you have Wurtulla, Warana, Kawana etc and on the beach side of the 'Nicklin Way' these are older suburbs but walking distance to the beach with a major shopping centre in Kawana. All around 10-15 min drive to Caloundra.

FYI there is a lot of development going on around the new hospital (near Wurtulla. Not sure exactly what suburb they call it as it's very new), it might get very busy on that (western) side of the Nicklin Way over the next year or so. Having said that, Brightwater is quite well established now and very popular with families. Pretty sure Brightwater qualifies for Mountain Creek school catchment, which is a relatively good and popular public school (again depending on what you're after). Unity College also has a good reputation in the south Sunshine Coast region, as does Pacific Lutheran College for private options.

There are also a number of newer, cheaper estates on the western Caloundra side. These aren't what I would call beachside though, and are very high density living type estates.

Are there any suburbs you've been looking at in particular?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for this info @sunnygirl79! That is really helpful

We're probably going to look at older suburbs as we're possibly looking for a house with a self-contained granny flat for my mum (just waiting for her to confirm if she's coming!). And granny flats seem to be more prevalent with the older houses... have seen some nicely renovated ones though!

I had looked online at a couple of houses at Wurtulla that were right on the beach, but that's interesting to know about all the development there and possible traffic increase! Definitely something we'll keep in mind.

I'd also seen some houses that ticked our boxes at Coolum, but not sure if that'll be too far... I just like the idea of being able to walk to the beach and cafes etc, rather than having to pack the kids into the car and drive there.

Will keep Mountain Creek school in mind too for catchment zones. DS1 is only 2 years away from starting school, so we need to start thinking about it.

Kind of excited about the move, but also a bit scared about having to start all over again in a new place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    No help but congrats lovely :-)

I love the Sunny Coast.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats you will love it here. I work in Caloundra and live in Aroona which is a small suburb within Caloundra. Coolum is about 45 mins. Caloundra west is ok, pretty high density. I'd recommend somewhere near Caloundra like warana. Keep in mind the roads aren't great for congestion here so the closer the better. Also meridan state college in Little Mountain (another small suburb in Caloundra) is a very good school.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh1984 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Thank you so much for this info @sunnygirl79! That is really helpful

We're probably going to look at older suburbs as we're possibly looking for a house with a self-contained granny flat for my mum (just waiting for her to confirm if she's coming!). And granny flats seem to be more prevalent with the older houses... have seen some nicely renovated ones though!

I had looked online at a couple of houses at Wurtulla that were right on the beach, but that's interesting to know about all the development there and possible traffic increase! Definitely something we'll keep in mind.

I'd also seen some houses that ticked our boxes at Coolum, but not sure if that'll be too far... I just like the idea of being able to walk to the beach and cafes etc, rather than having to pack the kids into the car and drive there.

Will keep Mountain Creek school in mind too for catchment zones. DS1 is only 2 years away from starting school, so we need to start thinking about it.

Kind of excited about the move, but also a bit scared about having to start all over again in a new place!
    Coolum is beautiful but TBH it's a fair way from Caloundra. Prob 40 mins. I would be sticking to south of the (Maroochy) River, maybe Mooloolaba would be the furtherest you would want to go north (approx 20 min to Caloundra). Have a look at Alexandra Headland too. The Nicklin Way gets pretty busy, but busy by Sunshine Coast standards (not by city standards!). The area around Point Cartwright is really nice, good walking path right along the beach and up to the tower, great for kids/walking/bike riding etc.

Mooloolaba has the choice of Cafes but it does get pretty busy in holiday season and there are a lot of rentals (ie hooligans - especially where there are townhouses etc. Its popular with young adults etc).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsh1984 View Post
    Congrats you will love it here. I work in Caloundra and live in Aroona which is a small suburb within Caloundra. Coolum is about 45 mins. Caloundra west is ok, pretty high density. I'd recommend somewhere near Caloundra like warana. Keep in mind the roads aren't great for congestion here so the closer the better. Also meridan state college in Little Mountain (another small suburb in Caloundra) is a very good school.
    Thanks so much! This is all great to know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Coolum is beautiful but TBH it's a fair way from Caloundra. Prob 40 mins. I would be sticking to south of the (Maroochy) River, maybe Mooloolaba would be the furtherest you would want to go north (approx 20 min to Caloundra). Have a look at Alexandra Headland too. The Nicklin Way gets pretty busy, but busy by Sunshine Coast standards (not by city standards!). The area around Point Cartwright is really nice, good walking path right along the beach and up to the tower, great for kids/walking/bike riding etc.

Mooloolaba has the choice of Cafes but it does get pretty busy in holiday season and there are a lot of rentals (ie hooligans - especially where there are townhouses etc. Its popular with young adults etc).
    Good to know! Will cross off Coolum and probably Mooloolaba too. I think we'd like somewhere a bit quieter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also your price range could be a factor. Places close to the beach and around buderim tend to be more expensive.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh1984 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-10-2016)