Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is there another one the way R&A&H?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Pearlygirl, you're taking all this a bit personally. I didn't say the OP was nuts, I said I thought "it was nuts" to want a drug-free birth. As turquoisecoast said, that's my perspective as a "woman" and not as a "doctor". I'm allowed to be both, yes?
    Why would you think it was nuts to want a drug-free birth? As a woman or a GP? Drug/intervention free births are most likely to have the easiest recovery and overall best experience for the mother and baby. Why would you think it was nuts to want that?

To the OP, I was adamant that I was going to have an intervention free birth with my second baby. To achieve this I did the following:
    - sought a care model that provided continuity of care (ie, I got into a midwifery care program where the midwife that would be with me during labour had met me before and knew my labouring preferences
    - prepped my husband and student midwife of my labour and birth preferences.
    - stay at home to labour for as long as possible
    - read about hypno-birthing and immerse myself with information on how to labour effectively
    - have options for pain relief including standing in a shower with the hot water on your back (many women find this very helpful)
    - if your care providers start talking inductions, stretch and sweeps, breaking waters etc then don't automatically agree. Ask what the risk is of each and the alternative options. Once you agree to the first step of induction (usually a stretch and sweep) then you're on the clock. If your pregnancy goes over the due date ask what the alternatives are to induction including daily monitoring.
    - one of my strategies was to count during contractions (surges). If your contractions are lasting for 30 seconds (and they peak at the half-way mark) and you're counting, you know that at 15 seconds it's all downhill from then, mentally I halved the contraction length by using this strategy.
    - Have movies to watch and things to take your mind off labour.
    - Acknowledge that every contraction is one step closer to meeting your baby!!
    - Don't panic during labour as it will set off a pain-fear cycle (if you're scared you're going to feel more pain)
    - Stay upright and listen to what your body wants to do during labour.
    - Most importantly, believe in yourself, believe in your body. Women have been giving birth for thousands and thousands of years.

I also close to delay getting any check from the midwife to see how dialiated I was. I didn't want to track it because I was worried it might mess with my head. If I'm in the throws of labour and the midwife had said to me "you're 4cm dialated" then I was worried it might put me off and make me doubt my body's ability to birth. I only had 1 check (I can't remember what they're called) and when the midwife said to me "you're a good 8 cm" I remembering thinking words to the effect of, "omg, I'm going to do this, I'm actually going to do this!!" and got rather excited!! (Remember that a woman's cervix does not necessarily dilate at an even/consistent rate.)

Believe in yourself!!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (09-10-2016),Lil Smurfy  (09-10-2016),witherwings  (10-10-2016),Yogis Mumma  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Why would you think it was nuts to want a drug-free birth? As a woman or a GP? Drug/intervention free births are most likely to have the easiest recovery and overall best experience for the mother and baby. Why would you think it was nuts to want that?

To the OP, I was adamant that I was going to have an intervention free birth with my second baby. To achieve this I did the following:
    - sought a care model that provided continuity of care (ie, I got into a midwifery care program where the midwife that would be with me during labour had met me before and knew my labouring preferences
    - prepped my husband and student midwife of my labour and birth preferences.
    - stay at home to labour for as long as possible
    - read about hypno-birthing and immerse myself with information on how to labour effectively
    - have options for pain relief including standing in a shower with the hot water on your back (many women find this very helpful)
    - if your care providers start talking inductions, stretch and sweeps, breaking waters etc then don't automatically agree. Ask what the risk is of each and the alternative options. Once you agree to the first step of induction (usually a stretch and sweep) then you're on the clock. If your pregnancy goes over the due date ask what the alternatives are to induction including daily monitoring.
    - one of my strategies was to count during contractions (surges). If your contractions are lasting for 30 seconds (and they peak at the half-way mark) and you're counting, you know that at 15 seconds it's all downhill from then, mentally I halved the contraction length by using this strategy.
    - Have movies to watch and things to take your mind off labour.
    - Acknowledge that every contraction is one step closer to meeting your baby!!
    - Don't panic during labour as it will set off a pain-fear cycle (if you're scared you're going to feel more pain)
    - Stay upright and listen to what your body wants to do during labour.
    - Most importantly, believe in yourself, believe in your body. Women have been giving birth for thousands and thousands of years.

I also close to delay getting any check from the midwife to see how dialiated I was. I didn't want to track it because I was worried it might mess with my head. If I'm in the throws of labour and the midwife had said to me "you're 4cm dialated" then I was worried it might put me off and make me doubt my body's ability to birth. I only had 1 check (I can't remember what they're called) and when the midwife said to me "you're a good 8 cm" I remembering thinking words to the effect of, "omg, I'm going to do this, I'm actually going to do this!!" and got rather excited!! (Remember that a woman's cervix does not necessarily dilate at an even/consistent rate.)

Believe in yourself!!
    Great advice!!!

I had the opposite. I didn't have any checks after they broke my waters (I was 1-2cm at that point). My contractions were immediately 1-2 mins apart. I had no checks but had really 'helpful' midwives that were telling me I was in mild labour and my co reactions weren't doing anything. At that point I thought if this is mild, WTF an I in for, so asked for an epidural. After 2.5 hours of 'mild' contractions, they came in ready to hook me up to syntocin drip to speed up / strengthen my contractions. My ob came and checked me at that point because I was bleeding. Then they discovered I was fully dilated, no need for that drip at all

So for me, I 'think' if they'd actually checked me and told me how I was progressing, or had not commented at all, I may not have opted for the epidural. But the negativity from the midwives got into my head.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-10-2016),BornToBe  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Is there another one the way R&A&H?
    No but I loved that I was listened to by my care providers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP it's awesome that you have the option of a water birth!!

Water is an amazing pain relief. I use a warm/hot shower for both births and the relief was incredible.
    Bath wasn't offered at my hospital but if it had been I would have loved it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I had a lovely ob that I completely trusted as well, but when it came to the labour, which was 16 hours long, he was only in the room on 2 occasions, both times only for 10 minutes (one of those times was to deliver the baby). Plus the time to stitch me up after a tear.

I spent the majority of my labour fighting with the midwife who kept insisting I needed more intervention. So whilst the ob was wonderful, he wasn't there to be on board with my preferences, which was really upsetting at the time. Thankfully, I had a birth plan and my husband knew what I wanted based on that plan and what we had discussed.

As much as you trust your care providers, it doesn't hurt to have a written plan or list of preferences.
    Wow. The nurses didn't communicate well with your ob then by the sounds of it.
    I had the same ob each pregnancy and he delivered my 3 boys in the same private hospital. After ds1 where my labour was 33hrs I trusted him completely. He knew me and knew my preferences. Each labour he came in a few times to check my progress and the midwives rang him throughout labour when required too.
    My second labour was 4hrs and easy. My first 2 babies were big babied, the 3rd was smaller. My 3rd labour was 9hrs, extremily painful as baby was head down but sideways and I had a lower back injury. But he got me through 3 labours without me having csections which I was adamant I didn't want, I am extremily proud and grateful.
    My care was sensational. I don't have a single complaint at all.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 09-10-2016 at 16:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 'Natural' birth - communicating in your birth plan

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Wow. The nurses didn't communicate well with your ob then by the sounds of it.
    I had the same ob each pregnancy and he delivered my 3 boys in the same private hospital. After ds1 where my labour was 33hrs I trusted him completely. He knew me and knew my preferences. Each labour he came in a few times to check my progress and the midwives rang him throughout labour when required too.
    My second labour was 4hrs and easy. My first 2 babies were big babied, the 3rd was smaller. My 3rd labour was 9hrs, extremily painful as baby was head down but sideways and I had a lower back injury. But he got me through 3 labours without me having csections which I was adamant I didn't want, I am extremily proud and grateful.
    My care was sensational. I don't have a single complaint at all.
    That's great! Unfortunately the one complaint I have with my hospital was the midwives. Which is why I'm not having my 3rd at that hospital. It means going with a different Ob which was a hard decision to make, but given that the nurses were so bad during both labours, and he was only involved on a very small level, and I've had 2 uncomplicated pregnancies, and particularly as my 2nd delivery was literally ALL me, deciding when to push etc while standing up and leaning over a bed, and all he did was catch the baby, I don't think it's worth risking another ****ty experience at that hospital.
    Last edited by witherwings; 11-10-2016 at 19:45.