+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    Even before my epidural, I didn't want to move around, I was content to just lay on my side. My labour was 4.5 hours, so I don't think not being active was an issue
    That's great for you, but more often than not a change in position is required to get the baby to move out. Just ask any midwife. You can't possible know what position your body needs to be in before going into labor.

To say being inactive isn't an issue shows a gross misunderstanding of the birth process - your baby was clearly in a great position and was going to come out regardless of what position you were in. It wasn't an issue for YOU. Unfortunately it's not that simple for everyone, babies present in a large variety of presentations not all of which are suitable for delivery lying down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 'Natural' birth - communicating in your birth plan

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    That's great for you, but more often than not a change in position is required to get the baby to move out. Just ask any midwife. You can't possible know what position your body needs to be in before going into labor.

To say being inactive isn't an issue shows a gross misunderstanding of the birth process - your baby was clearly in a great position and was going to come out regardless of what position you were in. It wasn't an issue for YOU. Unfortunately it's not that simple for everyone, babies present in a large variety of presentations not all of which are suitable for delivery lying down.
    That is what I meant - for me and that birth, inactivity wasn't an issue. Hence I said I didn't think it 'was' an issue, not 'is' an issue

But saying a generalized statement that women need to be active during labour, is also incorrect

Women need to do what they feel is right for them at the time.

No need to be rude and attack me!!!
    Last edited by Lil Smurfy; 01-10-2016 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It drives me crazy when people act like you are stupid because you don't have kids yet. You have done your research and no one knows you better than you
    Every birth is individual so others experiences may not apply.
    I would suggest discussing your plan/preferences only with those who matter so you support people and your care professionals.
    It goes without saying that safety of the baby is everyone's #1 priority so I don't think including contingency plans is necessary.
    I would also recommend if your support person is not very strong looking into a doula- they have only your interest in mind and can fight the battles for you.
    I have every confidence that you can get through it there are lots of methods to help you through and people do it every day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to believe For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    That is what I meant - for me and that birth, inactivity wasn't an issue. Hence I said I didn't think it 'was' an issue, not 'is' an issue

But saying a generalized statement that women need to be active during labour, is also incorrect

Women need to do what they feel is right for them at the time.

No need to be rude and attack me!!!
    Similarly I never said all women need to be active. I just said having a epi takes away activity as an option. Which is often needed to get the baby out.

Apologies I misread you saying being active wasn't an issue it sounded very general and as I was quoted I felt the need to defend my comment. I am not anti-epidural, but I do think there are huge risks and consequences that needed to be explained as some people on here seem to think it's no different to taking a panadol.

I'm 100% trying to be supportive of the OP here and he request regarding respect and support of her decision to prefer no pain relief. How on earth it's gone so far off track always amazes me. I'm bowing out. Good luck ladies!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a birth plan, I aimed for a drug-free birth and particularly didn't want to be stuck on the bed with numb legs. I got my drug-free birth, and then ended up in theatre, having my stitches done with a spinal block lol!!

Anyway, I used to get annoyed by the people telling me I was naive for aiming to not have drugs, but I ignored them and did lots of preparation. I don't know if the knowledge and skills I learned during the calm birth course are responsible for my lack of pain (we were taught that if you can stay relaxed and calm, the adrenaline isn't sent to the muscles in your uterus and so you don't get the pain as a result), or if I was just lucky, but the contractions didn't hurt me at all. I never needed pain relief.

Good luck op!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd post an update here that we attended our birth class today and not only am I feeling so much more confident about attempting a natural birth but my husband absolutely loved the course and said he's so on board to support me in my decision and will do everything possible on the day to encourage me. The midwife running the course happened to be an ex-doula with a strong belief in natural birth and allowing your body to do what it's naturally intended to do while still educating us on interventions etc.

The best part was that we learnt that our hospital offers water immersion as a natural form of pain relief and water birth. I hadn't even thought this was an option in the public system and after seeing the beautiful bath suite I have decided that I would like a water birth if my situation on the day allows, or at least to spend most of active labour in the water.

While I'm still absolutely ok if there are any circumstances on the day that result in interventions - because like everyone else, mine and my baby's well-being is my priority, I feel such strong support from the people around me that a natural birth is not a silly thing to want and that I can do this!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-10-2016),rainbow road  (08-10-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (08-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @MrsVZ check out rockstar birth magazine on Instagram for some awesome positive vibes around birth.
    You can absolutely have a low intervention and pain relief free first birth. You can even have an enjoyable birth! Good luck!!! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2 drug free births. Both booked homebirths with the same midwife caring for me so she knew my preferences as we had the whole pregnancy to discuss it.

I did have a "in the event of" birth plan in place incase I needed to go to hospital , SCN , C-section ect

I recommend using short dot points about what is important to you. And the rest just discuss with your care provider ( assuming you have continuity of care).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had one intervention birth and two natural births. For my first I had a detailed plan that was ignored. For my other two my plan was followed well.

My birth plan now is unless it's a medical emergency

*dont touch me
    *dont talk to me
    * leave me alone
    * lights off.

My last birth I had my baby in a dark shower with the ob and mw using a torch to deliver Bub. The lights were turned on once she emerged.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (09-10-2016),Busy-Bee  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely love your birth plan R&A&H