+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    there are other factors aside from just an epidural that can preclude an "active" labour. if bub is in distress and you require constant ctg monitoring for instance.

there are also plenty of women who've birthed their babies just fine and had epidurals.

you're not more of a woman because you opt to have a drug free birth.
    No one is saying this though? Its all about personal preference and there is nothing wrong with going either way. Its all about you and what makes you comfortable. That's it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess I'm just posting what I wish someone had seriously said to me before labour. in hindsight, I went into things so naively. I guess I'm just giving the advice I wish someone had told me.

it's not about being "unsupportive", it's about giving another perspective.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-09-2016),HeavenBlue  (30-09-2016),VicPark  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsVZ View Post
    Hoping for some opinions/advice on how to communicate in my birth plan that I want to avoid epidural and pain medication where possible.

I find myself getting very annoyed at some people's responses to my desire to go without an epidural and other pain medications during labour. I have done so much reading up and feel it's the best option for me but every time I mention that to someone who asks, they smirk and say 'just see how you go when you're actually in labour because you'll probably change your mind'. They seem to assume that I am underestimating labour, which is not the case. I just believe that it can be done without drugs and that it will likely be very very painful but that I can get through it with the right preparation. Another comment I get is that you can't truly prepare for labour, which I strongly disagree with. I'm not saying I can do anything to make it a breeze, but there are proven techniques to help get through it.

My OB said that although it's good to be flexible on my birth plan because things don't always go the way you want, it's important to communicate my wishes while in a sound frame of mind because you don't really want to be making these decisions in the peak of labour. Basically, I don't like the idea of putting it in my birth plan with a disclaimer as such, like 'unless I ask for it' or 'unless labour is slow in progressing'. Everyone says you kind of forget the pain once it's all over and some of my friends who put on their birth plan that they wanted to avoid epidural but ended up opting for one and were told it was too late, were actually glad it worked out that way and they think it was actually deliberate delaying from the midwife because of their birth plan wishes.

I cannot stand when someone says 'don't be a hero' because that implies those who choose pain medication are weak. I'm trying really hard not to pay attention to people's responses as if I'm naive and like they're waiting for me to come out of labour saying 'ok you were right I needed an epidural'. I have no shame in getting one, but I'm feeling a bit confused if I should just commit to no drugs or if I should prepare for any exceptions and how to communicate this clearly.

Thanks!
    I had two drug free labours, and yes, they were very painful, and yes, you do forget the pain fairly soon after. I didn't have birth plans as such, especially not with my first, but I did communicate to my midwives what I wanted. I think it's great to have an idea of what you'd like in your head. Things don't always go to plan, and you might change your mind in the heat of the moment, but just be clear with your midwives about what you want and they will respect that.

I went through a birth centre both times, and pain relief isn't readily available in the BC so that was helpful for me as my midwives were on the same page as me . Please don't stress about other people's opinions, they are only going by their own experiences which is all they have to personally draw on, so try not to take it to heart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwrlab For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (30-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    there are other factors aside from just an epidural that can preclude an "active" labour. if bub is in distress and you require constant ctg monitoring for instance.

there are also plenty of women who've birthed their babies just fine and had epidurals.

you're not more of a woman because you opt to have a drug free birth.
    I was so proud to deliver my son drug and intervention free. My first birth was induction with pethidine and monitoring and I needed stitches. My second birth was drug and intervention free birth of my son who was 4.85kg and I didn't even need stitches. My third was an emergency c-section after my waters broke and I was already 5cm dilated but my daughter was transverse lie so had to deliver her without even my husband around as it happened that quickly and he was working on the other side of Sydney. Nope, I'm not more of a woman because of my son's birth but f$vk yes I am proud of myself!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 30-09-2016 at 22:03.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (30-09-2016),smallpotatoes  (01-10-2016),sunnygirl79  (01-10-2016),turquoisecoast  (30-09-2016),witherwings  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I just do not get this attitude. For a supposed Dr you really seem to have no respect for other people's choices. Birthing, and all medical care in general is all about someone choice on how to handle their own body is ways which make them comfortable and happy. I really don't understand your posts/why you comment sometimes
    I've said twice now, "to each their own". Not sure how I can make that any clearer.

As long as the baby is not at risk, and the mother is not at risk, I don't have a problem with how a woman wants to labour.

The OP seems very sensible, and I am sure she will be fine.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post

As long as the baby is not at risk, and the mother is not at risk, I don't have a problem with how a woman wants to labour.
    Of course - this is what every mother wants!! Comments saying she is naive, "I think she's nuts" - so unhelpful. I wasn't nuts to want a drug free birth, and no one else is either. Just have some respect.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (01-10-2016),Busy-Bee  (09-10-2016),just her chameleon  (01-10-2016),MrsVZ  (30-09-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (01-10-2016),sunnygirl79  (01-10-2016),witherwings  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Of course - this is what every mother wants!! Comments saying she is naive, "I think she's nuts" - so unhelpful. I wasn't nuts to want a drug free birth, and no one else is either. Just have some respect.
    Pearlygirl, you're taking all this a bit personally. I didn't say the OP was nuts, I said I thought "it was nuts" to want a drug-free birth. As turquoisecoast said, that's my perspective as a "woman" and not as a "doctor". I'm allowed to be both, yes?

I would never tell my patients they were nuts for wanting a drug-free birth. But I'd definitely tell my friends

14. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Everyone Labors differently. You can't possibly know how it will be for you (even 2nd/third time round). I think it's important that you feel supported in your choices, whatever they may be.
    Great point - each labor can be very different. Until you are in the middle of it all you just don't know what will happen and what it will be like.

With this in mind, perhaps besides being supported in ones choices, it's equally as important for someone to be informed in their choices, in the sense of all the scenarios and experiences that may arise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Pearlygirl, you're taking all this a bit personally. I didn't say the OP was nuts, I said I thought "it was nuts" to want a drug-free birth. As turquoisecoast said, that's my perspective as a "woman" and not as a "doctor". I'm allowed to be both, yes?

I would never tell my patients they were nuts for wanting a drug-free birth. But I'd definitely tell my friends

Hardly supportive though is it? So yes it is very disrespectful when someone's asking for how to word a birth plan, and explicitly says she's sick of hearing negative opinions which is exactly what you gave her!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bwrlab For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 'Natural' birth - communicating in your birth plan

Op two bits of advice for you:

1) don't listen to others negative comments on your birth or parenting plans. Come to think of it - don't give people an opening by discussing it with them. Do you research and talk with your doctor.

2) don't pidgeon hole yourself into a birth plan or parenting philosophy. Research widely on all the different experiences out there. Sure have a goal, but factor in life. The wider your expectations and the more flexible your plan, the lower the chance you will be disappointed and the higher the likelihood you will enjoy your birth experience.

As for your birth plan whatever you put in it make sure it's handed to each staff member that works with you. Shift change? Hand out a copy.
    Make it hubby's job to do that
    - I wonder if you can put in post-natal care in your birth plan?. Because to me that's where I should have pushed my needs more. Birth was ok/good, post care sucked big hairy dogs balls.

Good luck

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (30-09-2016),Wise Enough  (09-10-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast