+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post

But, to each their own. To me, a drug-free labour sounds like a nightmare. As turquoisecoast said, f**k that!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Not sure that's very helpful to the OP who is tired of naysayers telling her she's being naive to think she can do it drug free.. But anyway..

I've had both my babies at a private hospital in NSW (Sydney) and was told walking epidurals are not an option.

I probably would have taken it if I had the choice, but my primary goal was to avoid a c/s and I knew an epidural would increase the chances of heading that way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Not sure that's very helpful to the OP who is tired of naysayers telling her she's being naive to think she can do it drug free.. But anyway..

The OP may very well be a bit naive, but I agree that if she wants to have a crack at a drug-free birth, then I think she's been given some good advice in this thread.

I personally think it's nuts, but this isn't about me. If the baby is delivered safely, then to each their own.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Radio  (09-10-2016),VicPark  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had both of my babies in a private hospital in Melbourne, and have worked as a doctor in both public and private. So you can certainly have a walking epidural in urban Melbourne hospitals, but I don't have experience in other States, so I'm not sure what they do.

But the on-call Anaesthetist can discuss such options with the patient. Personally I think it's empowering to know all your options, rather than saying "don't even mention xyz to me".

But, to each their own. To me, a drug-free labour sounds like a nightmare. As turquoisecoast said, f**k that!

I was in an inner city Melbourne private hospital and walking epi was a no go.

Asking for medical professional to not mention epidural is because it's annoying (polite word) to have them keep mentioning it when you're in the zone and managing just fine without it.

I believe most women that ask for medical teams to not mention those pain reliefs are already empowered and know their options.
    They just don't need to have people to keep reminding them about it.

Usually the birth preparation classes tell you all about your pain reliefs options with pros and cons.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-09-2016),Mambo  (10-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wrote out a loose birth plan but I didn't end up sharing it with my midwife (baby came before I had a chance). It was pretty basic and just revolved around letting me control what I wanted and when I wanted it. My aim was to try as best I could for a drug free birth and see how I went. I went through a midwifery group practice which revolves around drug free/low intervention though so they were geared towards respecting these wishes anyway.

I did end up having the labour and delivery I wanted. Transition was the hardest part and the part where I started demanding drugs (apparently common). I wanted some pethidine and the middie went off to get it, and by the time she came back (maybe only 5-10 minutes) I was demanding an epidural. It was far too late at this stage as I was fully dilated and ready to push, so her leaving and "organising" me pethidine was just enough time to get me to pushing stage (in hind sight I know she knows I was right at the end and really it was far too late for anything at that stage - I just needed reassurance). Having said that though, if I had asked earlier for it she would have got given it to me, same as an epi. She advocated for me to do it drug free if I could but would never have denied me pain relief if I had really needed or wanted it and I think the primary caregiver having respect for your wishes and advocating for you is really an important key to how your labour and birth go.

The part that kept me sane was the bath. I'm not sure I could have done it without being in a deep hot bath tbh as that was such instant relief and I was in the bath for literally hours having it filled up with hot water constantly. Water is a great pain reliever and I will be using it again next time. A great book is Birth Skills by Juju Sundin/Sarah Murdoch and I recommend you give that a read.

Good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-09-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I suggest perhaps looking into getting a doula. They are a godsend and will really push your wishes, especially when you are in labour because your thought process can go out the window very quickly. They are trained to help you and whoever is with you during labour with emotional and physical support and will have your best interests at heart the entire time. My husband and I had one with our second as I was attempting a VBAC and I couldn't have done this without her.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twolegs For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the OP made it quite clear she wishes to attempt a drug free labor and birth. I don't think 'fk that' comments are either helpful or supportive to the OP. It's pretty much exactly the negativity she was talking about.

Any intervention whether it be epidural, induction, etc interferes with the natural process and limits the options available to the mother to actively birth her baby. Sometimes it's required, yes. Sometimes it is absolutely the right thing for a particular situation.
    However I think if a natural birth is what the OP is aiming for, she needs to feel supported by her team in that decision and make her preferences clear. She can ask for an epi at the eleventh hour if she wants to, it's not like they will say oh no sorry, it wasn't in your birth plan!

Everyone Labors differently. You can't possibly know how it will be for you (even 2nd/third time round). I think it's important that you feel supported in your choices, whatever they may be.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Bel0v3d  (01-10-2016),Busy-Bee  (09-10-2016),smallpotatoes  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hoped to avoid opening a can of worms...

Let me just say thank you to those who have helped me see this more as a birth preference rather than plan, as it is just that. I see pain relief medication as a preference, everything else with labour will be what it is on the day and I don't feel that having a few things written down means I'm in control and it will go exactly as I want. I don't have anything to compare it to at this stage so I can only go by information I have gathered and what feels right for me. DH is on board for whatever I would prefer and I know he will be an amazing support on the day.

Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences!

On a side note, all women are amazing for going through childbirth (with or without pain relief) and no one should be made to feel anything but supported and encouraged no matter how they choose to go through the experience. But comparing childbirth to a dental procedure is just the silliest thing I've ever heard and I don't care much for Bec Judd's opinion on this topic if that is her view. As for calling me "nuts", not quite the input I was looking for.
    Last edited by MrsVZ; 30-09-2016 at 21:48.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-09-2016),BornToBe  (01-10-2016),Busy-Bee  (09-10-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (30-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (01-10-2016),witherwings  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    there are other factors aside from just an epidural that can preclude an "active" labour. if bub is in distress and you require constant ctg monitoring for instance.

there are also plenty of women who've birthed their babies just fine and had epidurals.

you're not more of a woman because you opt to have a drug free birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The OP may very well be a bit naive, but I agree that if she wants to have a crack at a drug-free birth, then I think she's been given some good advice in this thread.

I personally think it's nuts, but this isn't about me. If the baby is delivered safely, then to each their own.

I just do not get this attitude. For a supposed Dr you really seem to have no respect for other people's choices. Birthing, and all medical care in general is all about someone choice on how to handle their own body is ways which make them comfortable and happy. I really don't understand your posts/why you comment sometimes

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (01-10-2016),Full House  (01-10-2016),just her chameleon  (01-10-2016),sunnygirl79  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I just do not get this attitude. For a supposed Dr you really seem to have no respect for other people's choices. Birthing, and all medical care in general is all about someone choice on how to handle their own body is ways which make them comfortable and happy. I really don't understand your posts/why you comment sometimes
    perhaps she's commenting/posting as an individual and not as a doctor?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (01-10-2016),HeavenBlue  (30-09-2016),J37  (30-09-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast