+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally don't believe in birth plans so I didn't do them. I did however have a few preferences which I discussed with my ob prior. I trusted my ob completely and trusted the midwives and him to offer me/do what they feel is right for me. I think you need to be prepared that things may not go to plan if you do have a birth plan. 3 births, 3 very different labours. I have no complaints with the midwives or my ob along the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Bloody hell, I must be the odd one out here. For me, labour was the most pain I have ever experienced. Both times.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's was bloody painful for me too.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    One thing I will say regarding drugs is that like any other intervention, it increases your chance of ending up with a c-sec. An epidural forces you to be stationary and prohibits active labor, which is often (not always) necessary to actually birth your baby.

So with all due respect, I don't think you can compare it to a dental procedure at all.
    This is why I want to avoid drugs this time! I laboured drug free for 24 hours with DS and it was painful, sure, but very manageable with other techniques.

The midwife I had wasn't happy with my progression (although Bub was happy) and ultimately talked me into having synto and an epi.

But then I had to birth on my back and DS was a compound presentation and I ended up with a deep 2nd degree tear, a **** tonne of stitches and an awful recovery which was 1000 X worse than labour!

So while I loved being able to have the epidural and have a little nap then get to wake up and push, I want to avoid three weeks of feeling like someone built a barbed wire fence up my vagina, and to do that I feel like I need the opportunity to move around, help Bub move around if needed and not be restricted.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-09-2016),smallpotatoes  (01-10-2016),sunnygirl79  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    One thing I will say regarding drugs is that like any other intervention, it increases your chance of ending up with a c-sec. An epidural forces you to be stationary and prohibits active labor, which is often (not always) necessary to actually birth your baby.

So with all due respect, I don't think you can compare it to a dental procedure at all.
    You don't have to be stationary with an epidural. You can have a "walking epidural", and still move around and push. The degree of block depends on the concentration and infusion rate of administration of the local anaesthetic and opioid into the epidural space.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 'Natural' birth - communicating in your birth plan

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post

I remember reading an article by bec judd actually that I quite like...she's pro-pain meds in labour but she put it this way and I think she makes a great point: I don't go to the dentist and get a filling without pain meds, I wouldn't get any other medical procedure done without an anaesthetic, so why the hell would I go through labour without drugs?

This line of reasoning is one of my pet peeves. Labour & childbirth shouldn't be thought of as a medical procedure. Maybe that's how they end up at times, but we are by nature, no different to animals, and have been birthing for a lot longer than medicine has been around.

The key for me to get through the pain (I'm not going to pretend it wasn't freakin painful!) is embracing the pain, and knowing its natural and is part of the process. I certainly don't deal well with pain when something is wrong with me, for example if I cut myself or break a bone or stub my toe, or have a migraine, I'll scream out in pain, I'll cry and sometimes even sulk.. and I'll want immediate pain relief.. I just don't think it's the same as being in labour.

I totally respect womens' choices to have the birth they want, whether that's with pain relief or not, an elective c-s, induction or whatever.. But I think statements that compare child birth to having a medical procedure that requires anaesthetic, or breaking a bone or what have you is inaccurate, if not irresponsible.
    Last edited by witherwings; 30-09-2016 at 21:06.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-09-2016),Bel0v3d  (01-10-2016),BornToBe  (01-10-2016),dani251  (01-10-2016),sunnygirl79  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't have to be stationary with an epidural. You can have a "walking epidural", and still move around and push. The degree of block depends on the concentration and infusion rate of administration of the local anaesthetic and opioid into the epidural space.

Walking epidurals aren't always offered. In fact I think especially in private hospitals, they aren't allowed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I personally don't believe in birth plans so I didn't do them. I did however have a few preferences which I discussed with my ob prior. I trusted my ob completely and trusted the midwives and him to offer me/do what they feel is right for me. I think you need to be prepared that things may not go to plan if you do have a birth plan. 3 births, 3 very different labours. I have no complaints with the midwives or my ob along the way.
    I had a lovely ob that I completely trusted as well, but when it came to the labour, which was 16 hours long, he was only in the room on 2 occasions, both times only for 10 minutes (one of those times was to deliver the baby). Plus the time to stitch me up after a tear.

I spent the majority of my labour fighting with the midwife who kept insisting I needed more intervention. So whilst the ob was wonderful, he wasn't there to be on board with my preferences, which was really upsetting at the time. Thankfully, I had a birth plan and my husband knew what I wanted based on that plan and what we had discussed.

As much as you trust your care providers, it doesn't hurt to have a written plan or list of preferences.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Not all hospital offer this though
    Mine didn't, so once the epidural was in you had to stay on the bed.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Not all hospital offer this though
    Mine didn't, so once the epidural was in you had to stay on the bed.
    Mine too.

If I had had the option I would've taken it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both of my babies in a private hospital in Melbourne, and have worked as a doctor in both public and private. So you can certainly have a walking epidural in urban Melbourne hospitals, but I don't have experience in other States, so I'm not sure what they do.

But the on-call Anaesthetist can discuss such options with the patient. Personally I think it's empowering to know all your options, rather than saying "don't even mention xyz to me".

But, to each their own. To me, a drug-free labour sounds like a nightmare. As turquoisecoast said, f**k that!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-09-2016),HeavenBlue  (30-09-2016),Tinkers  (30-09-2016),VicPark  (30-09-2016)