+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To tell a potential employer

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have just gone through a second round interview with a company I've wanted to work with for years. I want to be upfront with them about my pregnancy but I also don't want to be discriminated against. Not sure what to do!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    7 weeks is still early. Anything could happen. I would be waiting until after 12 weeks before you say anything.

You don't have to tell them, but if you really wanted to maybe wait until you've been offered the job (assuming that happens) and tell them then - they can't take back their offer, but it might make you feel better to say 'I am really happy to accept this job, and I want to be open and honest with you now and let you know I have just found out I am pregnant, I hope this doesn't affect things'. Or something like that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yea I wouldn't say anything at 7 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    7 weeks is still early. Anything could happen. I would be waiting until after 12 weeks before you say anything.

You don't have to tell them, but if you really wanted to maybe wait until you've been offered the job (assuming that happens) and tell them then - they can't take back their offer, but it might make you feel better to say 'I am really happy to accept this job, and I want to be open and honest with you now and let you know I have just found out I am pregnant, I hope this doesn't affect things'. Or something like that.
    Everything here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea that's what I was thinking too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with all of the above. It's no ones business at 7 weeks, if you get the job you can always explain at 12 weeks that you didn't feel comfortable sharing that information so early in the pregnancy. They should respect that and understand your intention was not to deceive them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post

^^^This..... except without "I hope this doesn't affect things"