+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Theboys&me...you've posted some valid points. In regards to the bikini selfie, I don't like it because they've usually taken 100 photos and made sure they're getting the best angle, and the best lighting to make them look 'better' that bothers me...oh and I am a size 8, bikini wearing, exercise lover with decent muscle definition myself, so I'm not jealous...but I don't like it because it does leave people feeling unsatisfied with their bodies...not because they aren't beautiful, but because they see the 'perfect looking' body and don't always realise that that took 100 goes to get that photo. It's a dangerous slippery slope for teens, or for insecure women.
    However...my support in this thread has been for Rebecca, because she posted a photo of her with her twins and is being criticised for it. I am not okay with that. I am also not okay with 'yuck, scary' comments that relate to her body physique in the bikini shot because that's not okay either. There are women who are naturally that thin (maybe Rebecca is one, maybe she isn't...I don't know her so can't say), but those comments are hurtful to people who do look like that. I used to get them all the time in my teens/early 20's. I joined a gym because I was so uncomfortable with how people commented on my body shape...skinny. I now weigh ten kg's more...ten kg's of muscle definition that have given me a bit more shape to my 'pre-pubescent boy' body shape. I am really comfortable in my own skin and have been for years...but I have 'skinny kids' and hope they don't cop the same abuse as I did. It's not okay to comment on someone's body unless you're paying a compliment. It's that simple.
    Rebecca's photo was a post birth photo, and not even the main focus of this thread. She should never have become such a focus, nor should her bikini photos have been posted in here for people to comment on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I haven't read all of the posts yet... but so far I'm shocked at just how much people don't like a pretty woman posting selfies. Would the pic have been okay if she didn't look nice? Does it make her a better role model if she had sweat dripping down her face?

I remember seeing a picture of Amy Schumer posting a naked pic where she had tummy rolls and was applauded. I thought it was great that she was proud of her body...

But then I also think it's great that Rebecca Judd is proud of her body.

I no doubt relate to Amy more (plus add a few stretch marks for me) but I just don't get why people get slammed for their bodies if they are slim or toned or tanned. Is it because we as women feel inferior to those who are blessed with good genes or work hard to achieve the bodies they desire??

I'm much too addicted to wine, cheese and Netflix to even fit into a bikini let alone post a selfie of myself in one, but that doesn't encourage me to condemn others that can or do.

It seems that for some people it's not ok to post selfies or gain attention based on their physical appearance as it sends an awful message to young girls, yet it's perfectly fine to post negative, judgemental posts on a parenting forum about other people.

I'd much prefer to see an example of acceptance regardless of what floats your boat. If you like being hairy - good for you, if you like wearing bikinis and posting selfies - good for you, if you like wearing tracksuit pants - good for you, if you like wearing make up - good for you, if you like setting your roomba to clean your floors while you drink wine and watch Brooklyn 99 in your PJs - good for me!

Live and let live I say. And I don't know anyone who's had twins for their third & fourth ...
    I haven't been following this thread closely enough so a lot of the comments are lost on me but I totally agree with everything you said!

For the record, I'm one of those people who follow beautiful women on Instagram. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it. I girl-crush all over the place. It doesn't make me feel inadequate and I'm well aware that it sometimes take 100 snaps to get a good Insta. I'm also one of those people who post selfies of themselves especially when I'm on a health-kick. I'm also one of those insufferable people who post photos of their food. It makes me happy and that's all that matters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    For the record, I'm one of those people who follow beautiful women on Instagram. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it. I girl-crush all over the place. It doesn't make me feel inadequate
    I am the same - I also follow lots of makeup people.

I think for me is I love the beauty of the photography. The clothes. The makeup transformations. Even models poses. To me that is so beautiful. It does not make me feel bad about myself - it makes me love life and the beauty in it.

It sounds lame but its true. On my bad days I watch makeup tutorials. Some are SFX - some are glam, some drag - I love it (note I have no talent).

I love the shapes and sillouetes that clothes can give. The movement. The prints. And don't get me started on glitter and sequins.

And I cannot see how that is a bad thing.

The actions and words you have given in this thread @VicPark sadden me. You do not see beauty/fashion the way I do and that is ok.

But what you have done is taken a person - a human being, posted pictures purely to shame her. And dismiss her as a footballers wife, a knob, someone who uses their boobs and not their brains to get ahead. You have posted a 'comparison' between a bikini picture of her and Rosie Batty to prove what exactly?

They are both beautiful, strong, intelligent women. They lead different lives but it does not make one better or worse than the other.

I am not a 'fan' of Bec Judd. I am a fan of supporting women. And it hurts and saddens me that we cannot rely on women to support us. To me that means we have gone backwards and not forwards with equality for women. Because we now have to fight to have a our choices to be respected by both men and women.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

coco123  (03-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (03-10-2016),Lincolns mummy  (03-10-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-10-2016),witherwings  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those not sure about having a third....

Last edited by Louise41; 03-10-2016 at 20:17.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    Your post was exactly on point. Why did you delete it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Louise41 - I did see your post and agree with you. That is all I saw in the beginning. Its what I still see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Your post was exactly on point. Why did you delete it?
    Changed my mind lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sick of women judging other women on looks. More to life than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Fab comments twinklifly and full house.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Full House  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I am the same - I also follow lots of makeup people.

I think for me is I love the beauty of the photography. The clothes. The makeup transformations. Even models poses. To me that is so beautiful. It does not make me feel bad about myself - it makes me love life and the beauty in it.

It sounds lame but its true. On my bad days I watch makeup tutorials. Some are SFX - some are glam, some drag - I love it (note I have no talent).

I love the shapes and sillouetes that clothes can give. The movement. The prints. And don't get me started on glitter and sequins.

And I cannot see how that is a bad thing.

The actions and words you have given in this thread @VicPark sadden me. You do not see beauty/fashion the way I do and that is ok.

But what you have done is taken a person - a human being, posted pictures purely to shame her. And dismiss her as a footballers wife, a knob, someone who uses their boobs and not their brains to get ahead. You have posted a 'comparison' between a bikini picture of her and Rosie Batty to prove what exactly?

They are both beautiful, strong, intelligent women. They lead different lives but it does not make one better or worse than the other.

I am not a 'fan' of Bec Judd. I am a fan of supporting women. And it hurts and saddens me that we cannot rely on women to support us. To me that means we have gone backwards and not forwards with equality for women. Because we now have to fight to have a our choices to be respected by both men and women.
    There's no problem in you loving make up and the beauty it can bring but I don't want my daughters thinking they need make up to transform into something beautiful. That's the message that I hate. That only make up, clothes, and posing in front of a camera can make them beautiful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIIKTNPP5Ts

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (03-10-2016),Gentoo  (03-10-2016),VicPark  (03-10-2016)