+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @delirium .
    For me it's been a really frustrating read, though, because many of the people that are commenting about Bec's looks/trading on her looks are conveniently ignoring the comments that illustrate that she is actually a woman of more substance - like her being university educated, like reportedly being a lovely person, like having enough nous and sense to be a successful business woman, etc etc. It just seems really hypocritical to me! 'Oh I hate the way she's only about her looks so I'm going to just talk about her looks.'

And honestly if it was a discussion about the beauty industry I think it's a very important and interesting conversation for a bunch of women from different walks of life to have. This thread doesn't feel like that.
    Just wanted to say that I've taken the 'woman of substance' comments in board. She's obviously smart as well as a beautiful person. She's trained as a speech pathologist which is a field where she has obviously shown a desire to help others. She's not working in that field though. She's making money modelling in bikinis and flogging products which contribute to the merry-go-round of women focusing on their looks.

For me it was more a discussion on the beauty industry - I have no interest in discussing Judd's weight, parenting abilities (I've seen nothing at all which would bring that into question) or nit picking her looks (who gives a shiz if she's not perfect).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    At the end of the day we are judging someone based on their looks. Yes she puts photos on social media but we are not judging her ln her actions but purely her appearance. That makes me shudder.
    But isnt that what modelling is? Based completely on appearance and nothing else? I agree it makes me shudder too, which is why I don't hold modelling in a high esteem. But the entire industry and career is based solely on appearance, is it not?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default For those not sure about having a third....

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    But isnt that what modelling is? Based completely on appearance and nothing else? I agree it makes me shudder too, which is why I don't hold modelling in a high esteem. But the entire industry and career is based solely on appearance, is it not?
    Agree. But would you walk up to a model and tell them to their face they are gaunt or skeletal? I'm not singling you out as you haven't made these sorts of comments but there's a huge difference between discussing an industry generally and the specifics of a person who just happens to look a certain way.

Edit and some of the comments were about her photos with her babies. Hardly modelling photos.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just wanted to say that I've taken the 'woman of substance' comments in board. She's obviously smart as well as a beautiful person. She's trained as a speech pathologist which is a field where she has obviously shown a desire to help others. She's not working in that field though. She's making money modelling in bikinis and flogging products which contribute to the merry-go-round of women focusing on their looks.
    For sure, and I happen to share your opinions on the beauty industry in general. I guess this comment ^ though is what I'm talking about - that it depends on how you frame things I guess?

You could say she is 'making money modelling in bikinis and flogging products' or you could say she is a 'founder of two successful companies' and they imply totally different levels of respect.

And then I guess you could respond that no one who perpetuates that industry is worthy of respect, but I would struggle with that in this context, I guess because as I suggested earlier it felt like a discussion about a young successful woman, not the beauty industry in general.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    For sure, and I happen to share your opinions on the beauty industry in general. I guess this comment ^ though is what I'm talking about - that it depends on how you frame things I guess?

You could say she is 'making money modelling in bikinis and flogging products' or you could say she is a 'founder of two successful companies' and they imply totally different levels of respect.

And then I guess you could respond that no one who perpetuates that industry is worthy of respect, but I would struggle with that in this context, I guess because as I suggested earlier it felt like a discussion about a young successful woman, not the beauty industry in general.
    Good points. And I have to say my wording is reflective of the fact that I don't hold her chosen career path in high esteem. In my eyes her success is secondary to the damage her industry is causing to women and gender equality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't read all of the posts yet... but so far I'm shocked at just how much people don't like a pretty woman posting selfies. Would the pic have been okay if she didn't look nice? Does it make her a better role model if she had sweat dripping down her face?

I remember seeing a picture of Amy Schumer posting a naked pic where she had tummy rolls and was applauded. I thought it was great that she was proud of her body...

But then I also think it's great that Rebecca Judd is proud of her body.

I no doubt relate to Amy more (plus add a few stretch marks for me) but I just don't get why people get slammed for their bodies if they are slim or toned or tanned. Is it because we as women feel inferior to those who are blessed with good genes or work hard to achieve the bodies they desire??

I'm much too addicted to wine, cheese and Netflix to even fit into a bikini let alone post a selfie of myself in one, but that doesn't encourage me to condemn others that can or do.

It seems that for some people it's not ok to post selfies or gain attention based on their physical appearance as it sends an awful message to young girls, yet it's perfectly fine to post negative, judgemental posts on a parenting forum about other people.

I'd much prefer to see an example of acceptance regardless of what floats your boat. If you like being hairy - good for you, if you like wearing bikinis and posting selfies - good for you, if you like wearing tracksuit pants - good for you, if you like wearing make up - good for you, if you like setting your roomba to clean your floors while you drink wine and watch Brooklyn 99 in your PJs - good for me!

Live and let live I say. And I don't know anyone who's had twins for their third & fourth ...

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-10-2016),atomicmama  (03-10-2016),BornToBe  (03-10-2016),Full House  (03-10-2016),HeavenBlue  (03-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (03-10-2016),Mad84  (03-10-2016),nettz84  (03-10-2016),Tiny Dancer  (03-10-2016),witherwings  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not going to bother quoting everything, instead summing up my replies in one go, so this may be all over the place.

Let's stop with the skinny shaming, ladies. @J37 As someone in the medical field, I'm sure you would be well aware that some people are naturally that slim. You would also be aware that others may struggle to put weight on due to medical conditions. One would think you would be above making negative remarks about someone's body based on photos alone.

As for her post c/s appearance -
    Given her image is part of her brand, I'd hazard a guess that she takes care of herself by eating healthy and having a good skincare and exercise routine. Maybe she's wearing makeup... who cares? Or has used photoshop or cosmetic procedures like others have mentioned... once again, who cares?

Scrolling through her IG after reading through this thread, I see a variety of regular photos from her life. Anyone would think she was posting like Kim Kardashian the way some are commenting.
    @VicPark it was slightly frustrating to see you jump at putting her down for being a model, having it pointed out repeatedly that she is much more than that, yet still continuing to base your opinions on appearance alone. This is a woman that seems to be intellegent and caring, but oh no, she's a model... that can't possibly be true 😒

I absolutely HATE that women are perpetuated as being man-pleasing bimbos because we choose to alter our appearance in any way or wear particular things. Most men are 'guilty' of it too, yet we don't automatically assume they do it for females, nor should we. Let's start giving other women the same benefit of the doubt 😊

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (03-10-2016),Lincolns mummy  (03-10-2016),nettz84  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just noticed I've been tagged. Sorry girls, I lost interest about 10 pages ago

Carry on.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    @VicPark it was slightly frustrating to see you jump at putting her down for being a model, having it pointed out repeatedly that she is much more than that, yet still continuing to base your opinions on appearance alone. This is a woman that seems to be intellegent and caring, but oh no, she's a model... that can't possibly be true 😒
    Read my last post - I hope that has clarified any confusion regarding my viewpoint. I stand by my comments that focusing in appearance (as in the modelling industry) is detrimental to girls, women and gender equality. And for this reason I can not see judd as a role model. Not saying she's horrible, she's probably not. She's certainly beautiful and successful. Just that she's no role my - in my opinion. I make no apologies if you can not understand that and/or if that offends you.
    Last edited by VicPark; 03-10-2016 at 17:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't care if people want to photoshop their own photos to hang in their house.

But magazines etc. photoshop all the time. It's not reality. That's what's not healthy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Full House  (03-10-2016),Gentoo  (03-10-2016)