+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I remember that thread and even took part in it. While I won't say I supported her, I did feel empathy for her bc she had an addiction. While some echoed that, lots tore her to shreds. I think Bec has had way more supporters in this thread than detractors.

And it had nothing to do with weight. Most of us have said we aren't fans as we find her a bit self obsessed and staged. But it's like the thread has developed of a life of it's own where the few of us not gushing over her are haters and catty and jealous bc she's skinny. It kind of goes back to what I said earlier where women can't seem to comment on other women without being branded fat jealous B's. Which ironically is catty lol I could care if she was size 6 or 60.

Anyhoo, the thread is going around in circles so I'm going to leave it there.
    I think the issue is how that's expressed. No one takes issue with people not liking her or what she does. But sometimes in this thread the way it's expressed is plain cruel. Very cruel.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (02-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember that thread and even took part in it. While I won't say I supported her, I did feel empathy for her bc she had an addiction. While some echoed that, lots tore her to shreds. I think Bec has had way more supporters in this thread than detractors.

And it had nothing to do with weight. Most of us have said we aren't fans as we find her a bit self obsessed and staged. But it's like the thread has developed of a life of it's own where the few of us not gushing over her are haters and catty and jealous bc she's skinny. It kind of goes back to what I said earlier where women can't seem to comment on other women without being branded fat jealous B's. Which ironically is catty lol I could care if she was size 6 or 60.

Anyhoo, the thread is going around in circles so I'm going to leave it there.
    I'm just going to clarify that my comments have been in regards to the actual nasty comments about her face and weight in the beginning of the thread, which there are. Not people saying they are not a fan of her or don't like the whole image or selfie obsessed social media craze. My point is to not be nasty to each other. Do I think if she wasn't so thin people wouldn't be making the nasty comments? With some, most definitely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Honestly, in 10+ pages someone called her skeletal, I said she came across narcissistic (which she does) and there's been a few comments she prances around. That Chrissy thread, and not the one you linked, was way more nasty.

I get your sentiments Sonya I really do, and they are admirable. I just think the thread has been pretty tame and not very cruel at all?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Honestly, in 10+ pages someone called her skeletal, I said she came across narcissistic (which she does) and there's been a few comments she prances around. That Chrissy thread, and not the one you linked, was way more nasty.

I get your sentiments Sonya I really do, and they are admirable. I just think the thread has been pretty tame and not very cruel at all?
    There's 'she's had Botox, is *unnaturally* thin, has had cosmetic surgery, is yucky & scary, is skeletal, is gaunt, is only married to a footballer and shakes her booty, etc, etc. I couldn't be bothered to multi-quote it all.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @delirium fwiw I totally understood your points on this thread. And I share many of your concerns, for girls and boys too.

To be honest, I really don't gaf about Bec Judd. I didn't actually realise til this thread that she had any sort of public persona beyond who she was married to. I don't know if cruel is the right word, but I think some comments here have definitely been crass.

And I actually believe that many women who have made a name for themselves in the beauty industry (which I know is an industry that is responsible for creating and perpetuating huge issues about wellbeing and esteem) could not have done so without a lot of nous, hard work and business acumen.

I consider that to be true of Megan Gale, Miranda Kerr, Victoria Beckham, Heidi Klum, Bec Judd, that model in America with the chat show that's always feisty about things, and the list goes on.

For me it's been a really frustrating read, though, because many of the people that are commenting about Bec's looks/trading on her looks are conveniently ignoring the comments that illustrate that she is actually a woman of more substance - like her being university educated, like reportedly being a lovely person, like having enough nous and sense to be a successful business woman, etc etc. It just seems really hypocritical to me! 'Oh I hate the way she's only about her looks so I'm going to just talk about her looks.'

And honestly if it was a discussion about the beauty industry I think it's a very important and interesting conversation for a bunch of women from different walks of life to have. This thread doesn't feel like that.

It's late so I hope that all makes sense.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (03-10-2016),Barnaby  (03-10-2016),binnielici  (03-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-10-2016),Sonja  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:

Default For those not sure about having a third....

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a conversation about these things meanness at all?

I asked myself if I would show my 11 year old daughter this thread. No way.

I do think a lot of good points have been made about the social media world we inhabit. I also accept its the reality of today's world. Do I wish it wasn't? Probably. But it is and I'm trying to find my way through it for the sake of my 4 kids. And trying not to judge on the way through.
    Last edited by Sonja; 03-10-2016 at 00:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    There's 'she's had Botox, is *unnaturally* thin, has had cosmetic surgery, is yucky & scary, is skeletal, is gaunt, is only married to a footballer and shakes her booty, etc, etc. I couldn't be bothered to multi-quote it all.
    That's a whole lot of nasty words when you list them like that but some (not all) were said not as insults but as rebuttals against the "too perfect" comments. I believe it was our highly respected member who is a doctor who described her as gaunt or sunken. I took a second look at the photo after that and, looking beyond the happy postpartum glow I agree she looks a little drawn. I know my photos with my newborns I have an amazing radiance in my smile but I also bear the hallmarks of having had major surgery (and blood loss with #2).

I'm not dismissing that some people have come across as quite catty in their criticisms however a lot of people have made measured observations and fair comparisons to themselves or those near them. I don't think it is fair to tar them all with the same brush.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Most people on here weren't around when the thread about Chrissie Swan being caught smoking when pregnant was alive. It definitely shows the inherent bias people have against so called thin attractive mothers.

The BH community rallied behind her after she was busted smoking when pregnant and was full of empathy and warmth. There were also comments made in the media about her son being overweight which were awful. Yet she was a lowly television personality and radio show co- host at the time? By the standards of many in this thread she would have been hung out by her ankles.

But no she wasn't. Wonder why
    I remember the spinoff and the kid being overweight (banana) thread. I think I can say I didn't go lightly on her in those either. For me it has absolutely nothing to do with weight and everything to do with what one is doing that may harm or help kids (their own or someone else's).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    That's a whole lot of nasty words when you list them like that but some (not all) were said not as insults but as rebuttals against the "too perfect" comments. I believe it was our highly respected member who is a doctor who described her as gaunt or sunken. I took a second look at the photo after that and, looking beyond the happy postpartum glow I agree she looks a little drawn. I know my photos with my newborns I have an amazing radiance in my smile but I also bear the hallmarks of having had major surgery (and blood loss with #2).

I'm not dismissing that some people have come across as quite catty in their criticisms however a lot of people have made measured observations and fair comparisons to themselves or those near them. I don't think it is fair to tar them all with the same brush.
    At the end of the day we are judging someone based on their looks. Yes she puts photos on social media but we are not judging her ln her actions but purely her appearance. That makes me shudder.

As for the comments from the dr sorry I did find them harsh. You may not agree but as a mother of a tween who is very well fed but very thin I viewed them how she would which is why I wouldn't show her this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default For those not sure about having a third....

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

I actually didn't include the first comments from 'the highly respected dr' has they were pretty respectful and measured. Gaunt and skeletal and yucky and scary came later and I don't feel were used in the same measured way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (03-10-2016)