+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But how can you judge based on a persons Instagram account? I'm not even sure if you are but many on here have
    Nup, not judging Bec Judd.

Just railing at the pervasive cultural forces that tell women (and sometimes men), either expressly or impliedly, that they need to measure up to a notion of beauty and physical perfection that is a construct. It serves to make women (and men) feel inadequate and sells lots of products, but often at the expense of people's self-esteem.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Celeste Barber and her celebrity imitation shots, showing the Twittersphere how inane and staged and unattainable the celebrity notion of beauty and perfection is.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-10-2016),ShannyAnny  (02-10-2016),Stretched  (02-10-2016),Tinkers  (02-10-2016),VicPark  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    That's your opinion (which you clearly are not going to let up on) but it's not up to you to say for all women. Perhaps time to agree to disagree?

Everyone comes from different backgrounds with different values and different ideals. So what? I think we need to be respectful and stop criticising.
    I agree to disagree.
    To clarify - I'm not criticism her looks. She's gorgeous. I'm not criticising her mothering (seems like a good mum - haven't heard of any Finchy's being pulled etc). I'm not even really criticising her 'career'. Well I sort if am but don't really mean to - just trying to explain why I don't hold her up to be anything super special to fawn over.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Personally, I'm a big fan of Celeste Barber and her celebrity imitation shots, showing the Twittersphere how inane and staged and unattainable the celebrity notion of beauty and perfection is.
    This is one of my favourites. Gets at the heart of what I'm trying (poorly) to get accrossImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1475400854.537865.jpg

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-10-2016),HeavenBlue  (03-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-10-2016),TheGooch  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    She's also an extremely successful businesswoman who is university educated, seems to have sufficient interpersonal skills to maintain a happy marriage, is able to laugh at herself and loves her family, while seemingly managing to be well-liked and remaining scandal free, and, I would bet money, has had to fight harder than most to establish herself as someone worthy of respect due to value judgements that are placed on her because she is a) female and b) attractive.

Not too shabby a role model, I don't think, whether she wants to be or not :-)
    this.

she's a far better role model than types like Kim "where are my clothes again" kardashian too.

I bet if bec wasn't stick thin people would say she's a better role model. I think a lot of people want to discredit her because she's so (naturally I may add) thin. people look at her and assume she spends all her time maintaining this stick insect physique. hell maybe she does but I believe that's her natural body shape.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Full House  (02-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    this.

she's a far better role model than types like Kim "where are my clothes again" kardashian too.

I bet if bec wasn't stick thin people would say she's a better role model. I think a lot of people want to discredit her because she's so (naturally I may add) thin. people look at her and assume she spends all her time maintaining this stick insect physique. hell maybe she does but I believe that's her natural body shape.
    For me the thinness has nothing to do with it. It's the focusing on appearances and brands, the shallow vanity etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can I just say, I do get the (and agree with some of) the message VP and delirium are saying, that it's important to teach our daughters, and others, that there is much more to women than how we look. The recent presidential campaign has definitely proven that it's hard for a woman to find respect, especially against a misogynist like Trump. But I also think it's equally as important to teach young women not to judge others or be cruel because you do not agree with how another woman presents herself, the message should be to be kind to yourself and others. Like twinklifly said, yes there was a time when it was all about pleasing men but now it's about fighting for choice and the right to our own bodies, we need to respect others choices and not make it all about a woman not deserving your respect because she put make up on or you think she is too thin. She has the choice to handle herself a certain way and you have the choice to look away.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-10-2016),binnielici  (03-10-2016),clb84  (02-10-2016),Full House  (02-10-2016),Gentoo  (02-10-2016),harvs  (02-10-2016),Olive Oil  (02-10-2016),VicPark  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    For me the thinness has nothing to do with it. It's the focusing on appearances and brands, the shallow vanity etc.
    but that's her job?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    but that's her job?
    Yes it is. Doesn't make it any more desireable though. Her 'job' makes the path for every female that follows her that much more difficult.

How are females supposed to stand up to the likes of trump, demand to be judged on their brains and not their boobs when the likes of Judd are out there parading themselves and others products for cash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Can I just say, I do get the (and agree with some of) the message VP and delirium are saying, that it's important to teach our daughters, and others, that there is much more to women than how we look. The recent presidential campaign has definitely proven that it's hard for a woman to find respect, especially against a misogynist like Trump. But I also think it's equally as important to teach young women not to judge others or be cruel because you do not agree with how another woman presents herself, the message should be to be kind to yourself and others. Like twinklifly said, yes there was a time when it was all about pleasing men but now it's about fighting for choice and the right to our own bodies, we need to respect others choices and not make it all about a woman not deserving your respect because she put make up on or you think she is too thin. She has the choice to handle herself a certain way and you have the choice to look away.
    So well said!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes it is. Doesn't make it any more desireable though. Her 'job' makes the path for every female that follows her that much more difficult.

How are females supposed to stand up to the likes of trump, demand to be judged on their brains and not their boobs when the likes of Judd are out there parading themselves and others products for cash.
    to be fair I doubt anyone is judging bec on her boobs