+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I would rather my kids follow neither. How on earth a woman focusing on her own physical appearance and media coverage 24/7 is a good example for kids is beyond me. Does she offer anything to aspire to other than "she's not as bad as Kim."?
    I went and had a look at her Instagram and I'm not seeing anything that everyone here is talking about. She has a few bikini pictures, pictures of furniture, her kids, her husband, shoes, kitchens a few selfies. Big deal. From that people have jumped on her as if she does nothing else. How on earth do you know she focuses on looks 24/7. She might just naturally be very thin. She has a family to take care of and she seems normal. Her Instagram is part of her brand which happens to be her as a person.
    Sorry but I'm not getting it. Kids are exposed to so much crap on social media rebecca is the last of my problems.
    And I have seen photos of my friends after they just gave birth and they looked stunning.
    Unfortunately I looked like a bloated sardine but that's besides the point. Everyone is different.
    Reading this judgement makes me fear more for my daughter then selfies. She already cops hate for being skinny, tall and pretty. I can only imagine the crap she will need to deal with in her future.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-10-2016),twinklify  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    People are judging her because she is thin?! Wow. Imagine the outcry is she was judged for being fat. Haters gotta hate...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Full House  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe this article explains things better than I can:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opin...story-comments
    Attachment 84732
    Vicpark where did you find the photo of her you posted before? I've gone back to 2013 and I can't see it (or anything vaguely resembling jt).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default For those not sure about having a third....

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Reading this judgement makes me fear more for my daughter then selfies. She already cops hate for being skinny, tall and pretty. I can only imagine the crap she will need to deal with in her future.
    The best way to breed resilience in kids is to lead by example. For parents to not be focused on superficial things such as diets, having the best clothes, waxing, fake nails etc. as much as you can steering your child away from role models that focus on such things will also help.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I take it back, not all Instagram selfies are bad

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...42?pfmredir=sm

Legend..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That article bugs me. So much. Lets cover up from head to toe then.

I do not care if someone posts a picture of themselves clothed/unclothed or if they are skinny/overweight/short/tall. If they are comfortable enough in their skin than yay - more power to them!

The problem is not the poster. It is the people making the big deal out of this. Like the opinion piece linked.

Have you ever looked at the 4th trimester project? Or any of the other 'love your body' campaigns?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Vicpark where did you find the photo of her you posted before? I've gone back to 2013 and I can't see it (or anything vaguely resembling jt).
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...96778404a65808

Phot was taken while promoting a product designed to make the body more appealing ... Probably to men.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...96778404a65808

Phot was taken while promoting a product designed to make the body more appealing ... Probably to men.
    She is in the beauty industry. I am not a spray tan fan but plenty of people are. And ask her advice. Her job is to try things out to promote it.

Your 'they do it for men' comment is BS. I do makeup for me. Almost all women do all this for THEM. It makes me feel good. Just like a book may make someone feel good. So what does that make me? Someone desperate for attention who hates myself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    She is in the beauty industry. I am not a spray tan fan but plenty of people are. And ask her advice. Her job is to try things out to promote it.

Your 'they do it for men' comment is BS. I do makeup for me. Almost all women do all this for THEM. It makes me feel good. Just like a book may make someone feel good. So what does that make me? Someone desperate for attention who hates myself?
    I've just caught up and got woken at 5am again so can't be bothered commenting on everything, but in references to all your comments, you're my sister from another mister.

And, I wear makeup because I naturally have very dark circles around my eyes as part of my complexion and it makes me feel better to even out my skin tone. I wax or shave because I don't like the feeling of the hair when it gets long (currently growing the legs out to wax and it's bothering me so much), God knows I'm not having s3x so definitely not doing it to make DH happy!

My idea of feminism is to just let women do what they want to be happy, whether that skinny, fat, hairy, hairless, into fashion, into dump trucks, whatever! Live and let live and only worry about yourself.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-10-2016),smallpotatoes  (02-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And also, I'm not saying she can't be discussed. I'm saying stop being nasty---twinklifly said it best.