+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We had a ---- up with our first cycle I ran out of the drugs and when I raised it with the clinic nurse she told me I couldn't have and to keep injecting. When we went to pick up we got one egg. When we realised I'd been injecting fresh air into myself for over half the cycle I was devastated. We had been doing down reg cycles which were killing my body.

I still remember just lying in bed sobbing. You can't help it we hold out a fantasy of how our life will look when you do ivf and when the reality doesn't match its horrible. None of my frozens survived thawing and I had to cycle for my second child. I still remember being physically sick when the clinic called to tell me the last one hadn't thawed.

It's as if someone changes the end of your story without you having a say. Again I'm so sorry. Let us know how Tuesday goes xx

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (01-10-2016),Gymming  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my goodness! This is terrible! I'm so sorry!
    The power outage & my frozen embryos didn't cross my mind!
    Now I'm worried for mine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Oh my goodness! This is terrible! I'm so sorry!
    The power outage & my frozen embryos didn't cross my mind!
    Now I'm worried for mine!
    Give them a call. I phoned this afternoon (won't mention clinic name just in case but I think we are all with the same?) they said that all affected patients had been contacted and double checked and mine were ok. @Gymming if I could swap places with you hon I would in a heartbeat. I'm so sorry this happened. You never ever expect a technical fault to happen like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Embryos lost after power failure

Just saw this:
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...1361c65809b1b9

SOUTH Australia’s power blackouts have destroyed embryos at Flinders Fertility, leaving many families heartbroken and medics distressed by their loss.

The Advertiser understands more than a handful of potential children became ‘unviable’ because incubators failed when the entire state’s power went down.Hospitals all have emergency generators, but the one at Flinders did not work for some minutes. A short but crucial period without power means those embryos, which were ready to be implanted, are no longer able to be used.

Flinders Fertility called it a “devastating” and “distressing” situation. There will be a review. Flinders Fertility assured families and patients that “cryopreserved material” – waiting for a later implantation date – was not affected.

In a statement they expressed their deepest sympathies to the families and said the loss of power compromised incubators, affecting a small number of patients.

“Despite every effort by our scientists, the embryos are no longer viable,” they said in a statement.

“This is a devastating situation for our patients, and very distressing for our staff.

“Flinders Fertility doctors have contacted patients directly, and individual support and counselling is being provided.”

Families will be given priority for further treatment and there will be no further costs to repeat fertility cycles.

Flinders Medical Centre called it an “unprecedented and catastrophic systems failure”.

SA Health Interim Chief Executive Vickie Kaminski said there was “an issue” with the generator, leading to battery-powered back-up; that meant that on Wednesday night 17 patients were transferred to Flinders Private Hospital.

“We’re currently reviewing the circumstances that led to the Flinders Fertility laboratory being without power during part of Wednesday’s extreme weather event, a spokeswoman said.“We will also work closely with Flinders Fertility to make sure the families receive all the support and assistance they need during this difficult time.”

Otherwise, hospitals have been able to operate normally despite increased demand.
    Last edited by gingermillie; 29-09-2016 at 22:48.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Gymming  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Embryos lost after power failure

I am so so sorry gymming. This is awful.

I second everything that Sonja said. I'm a lawyer as well. I think any legal action would have to focus on the back up generators. Why they failed, whether they had been adequately maintained, whether they were sufficient for their purpose etc.

In the meantime I'd be hitting up the clinic for some counselling.
    Last edited by Sally1981; 30-09-2016 at 22:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your supportive words. They are comforting. Because you all have IVF histories I feel you understand. Thank you gingermillie for posting the latest media release. I don't want anyone to have to go through failed cycles in this way in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm so very sorry to you OP and others that lost your embies. So gut wrenching, particularly given they were 4 year younger eggs My first thought was how f'ed up the F clinic was to let this happen, but given the whole state's power went down, and they did have a back up generator that also failed, sadly I don't think this is anyone's fault. I know that doesn't help right now though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wouldn't know what to do if that happened, I'd be more than beside myself. I'm so sorry. I don't think I have anything helpful to say but I wanted to respond and show that there are lots of people here who have and are going through IVF and support you right now. I totally understand your devastation especially as your frozens were when you were 38. In IVF and fertility age makes a difference. I don't say this to make you feel worse and I hope I haven't. I'm outraged and upset for you. All I can add is that I think persuing counselling would be a good idea. As others have said the clinic is responsible for compensation but of course this doesn't change what has happened. I would pursue counselling either through the clinic, or through a private psychologist if you don't feel comfortable talking to the clinics counsellor given what has happened. Personally I think your clinic should pay for private counselling if you choose that. Maybe that could be something to bring up on Tuesday.
    I too have no one to talk to about my IVF struggles and it's so isolating. I hope the support here helps you a little bit,but I would really recommend counselling if you think it would help. Sometimes you just need someone to talk to, cry, vent and get it all out and be understood. Having no support IRL is so tough. Nothing can take away the pain and hurt and devastation you must be feeling right now or the years Lost if you do decide to cycle again now. All I can offer is that I feel for you and will be thinking of you. And update us after your appointment if you feel able to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie Looking at the link you posted, it looks like mine will be fine...just those that were in the pipeline for imminent transfer that have suffered the devastating loss

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

Gymming  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is devastating! Thinking of you xx

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Gymming  (30-09-2016)