+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How devastating. So sorry to hear. I do hope they are generous with compensating you for your loss.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Gymming  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The fact that you have lost your embryos that were created 4-5 years ago when you were 38 years old makes this situation so much worse and so there is really no way for them to put you back into the position you were in before this mess because even if you do now create more embryos they will not be from your 38 year old eggs. It may be worth seeking legal advice on this - I suspect that the clinic will be getting legal advice and if they offer you something such as a free cycle they may have you sign something to say that you won't take further legal action. I understand that no amount of money or free services will bring back your embryos but the clinic needs to be held responsible for this. With all the money we pay for IVF there should be back up generators for the back up generators. Plus they should be well maintained and tested so that this doesn't happen. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling and really wish you all the best with however you decide to proceed xo

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ShannyAnny For This Useful Post:

Billie2  (29-09-2016),Blossom74  (01-10-2016),Grace1  (29-09-2016),Gymming  (29-09-2016),JR03  (05-10-2016),Kazzy36  (29-09-2016),nicole83  (29-09-2016),pingc383  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Support here is valuable

Thank you. I'm numb that this happened. It has given me hope reading everyones comments. I'll see what the clinic has to say next week. Dr had just said i will have to do another cycle and could talk to the councillor if i needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Shannyanny. You're right. That is the upsetting part that no matter what i can't get back my 38 yr old eggs. My son was one of the 3 successfully fertilsed eggs so i was hopeful that the other 3 were good to go today. No matter what now, I'll never know. To know the demise had nothing to do biologically with me or the embryos seems to hurt more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be getting legal advice regarding compensation... I know it doesn't help the situation but they should compensate you above and beyond.. good luck xo

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nattie84 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (01-10-2016),Gymming  (29-09-2016),Kazzy36  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think knowing that this was avoidable and unnecessary would only add to the anguish. I agree also that having such a good result with your son would have left you feeling quite optimistic about your two remaining embryos. I think the counselling is probably a good idea too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ShannyAnny For This Useful Post:

Gymming  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just devastating. I have no idea how you are feeling. Just awful. From memory you sign so much paperwork when doing IVF, perhaps worth going back and checking if unforeseen circumstances are covered. I'm sure they are frantically trying to work out where they stand too.

I really feel for you, I would be beside myself. I am so sorry xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Gymming  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right. Was a number of years now since signing those forms. I'll check back through. I don't know if the clinic is to blame or the hospital. I'm trying to process the events of the day and it seems like a bad dream. I was thinking of doing 2 last cycle if these embryos weren't ok but i didn't expect a power failure would lead to this. They never told me that at any time they were being cultured there was the possibilty that the power could cause them to be destroyed. I'll keep anyone interested in the outcome up to date tuesday. Good luck to you all and thank you for your supportive comments xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Embryos lost after power failure

As a lawyer I hope my comments are helpful. Please don't think I don't understand as 3 of my kids are ivf so I do know the pain of the process and the cost.

As awful as this is I would be surprised if the clinic isn't protected legally. My understanding is back up generators were in place but they failed. Unless that failure was caused by the clinics negligence, and not by what we lawyers call "force majeures" (a fancy word for an act no one can control) then the clinic may not strictly be liable.

Hopefully they will offer the patients who lost embryos some form of compensation. From a public relations perspective I would be advising them to.

Do you still have all your paperwork from when you signed with the clinic? It will go in to detail about their responsibility to patients freezing embryos.

I too had frozen embryos after my first child and couldn't imagine losing them this way. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (01-10-2016),dani251  (01-10-2016),jess03  (29-09-2016),smallpotatoes  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your level headed comments. It is hard but I'm going to focus on getting 'healthy'and focus my energies on the next cycle. I've had times today of uncontrollably breaking down but over time I'm hoping i can move fwd. I'm disappointed my 38 yr embryos are gone and I'm trying to tell myself i can do it again, it's the uncertainty of the quality of my 42 year old eggs that worries me! And i don't want any more power failures! I work in a hospital and new backups were in place, i just didn't expect that to fail either. I got so close. Thank you again for your advice. I just hug my boy a little tighter today and it makes me appreciate even more that I have him. Thank you.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymming For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (29-09-2016),ShannyAnny  (29-09-2016),Sonja  (29-09-2016)