Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,844
    Thanks
    5,061
    Thanked
    4,446
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    How about just Nan? Granny? Granna, Gran? But as a PP said your mum can still be just Nanna and if your MIL wants to be Nanna too, then your kids will just need to add her name to the end of it. But it's your MILs choice and it would be rude of you to suggest perhaps she use something else. You could just be worrying for nothing.

    Is your MIL ethnic at all? My dad chose Popou which is Greek for Pappa and my mum chose Granny. They hardly go together but that's what they chose. FIL chose Granda!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    How about just Nan? Granny? Granna, Gran? But as a PP said your mum can still be just Nanna and if your MIL wants to be Nanna too, then your kids will just need to add her name to the end of it. But it's your MILs choice and it would be rude of you to suggest perhaps she use something else. You could just be worrying for nothing.

    Is your MIL ethnic at all? My dad chose Popou which is Greek for Pappa and my mum chose Granny. They hardly go together but that's what they chose. FIL chose Granda!
    Surely it can't be rude when she has openly asked for suggestions? I don't understand why some of you are so quick to jump on my back without actually knowing the full story.

    And no she is not ethnic at all

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,844
    Thanks
    5,061
    Thanked
    4,446
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire1992 View Post
    Surely it can't be rude when she has openly asked for suggestions? I don't understand why some of you are so quick to jump on my back without actually knowing the full story.

    And no she is not ethnic at all
    Gosh no, If she's asked for suggestions that's not rude. Your first post sounded like you didn't want your mum getting her nose out of joint by your MIL choosing the same name for herself.

    I didn't want it to sound like I'm jumping on your back, it was not my intention, just posting with the information at hand from your first post.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,950
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked
    2,299
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We let our parents decide themselves. MIL also did not want Granny/Grandma and her MIL has taken 'Grandmother' so she is not 'allowed' (it's funny to me as she has insisted to be Grandmother to grandchildren and great grandchildren but DS calls her 'Granny' and she loves it).

    She chose Nanny. My mum is Babcia (Polish). Your kids ultimately end up with the final say anyway!

    I don't have further suggestions other than Nan, Nanna, Nanny, Grandma, Grandmother, Granny.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    turquoisecoast  (30-09-2016)

  6. #35
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,406
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,045
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mum is Renny - which is a variant of her name. She felt too young (she's 45) to use the G word. But we call her Grenny Renny just to annoy her 😂

    My Nanna is Nanna to all ten grandkids and 1.5 great grandies.

    My MIL is Mormor which is Swedish for Mother's mother. (If she was the paternal grandma she would be Farmor which means Father's mother).

    I don't get the angst really, from either parent. Let them choose what they want, if it's the same the kid will differentiate anyway and it won't lessen their relationship to both be Nanna.

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,832
    Thanks
    1,407
    Thanked
    794
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My in laws are grandma and pa and my mum is called Noni (grandmother at 39 but didn't want to be called grandma/nan/nanny). Both were already grandparents before my kids came along so we just went with what they were already called.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Gosh no, If she's asked for suggestions that's not rude. Your first post sounded like you didn't want your mum getting her nose out of joint by your MIL choosing the same name for herself.

    I didn't want it to sound like I'm jumping on your back, it was not my intention, just posting with the information at hand from your first post.
    Sorry it just came across that way. Yes my mil has asked for help as she doesn't want to sound old. So really not sure what to suggest. Thinking nan *initial* or something.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum didn't want grandma or nana either. So she chose Lola and my dad chose Pepe. DH is a stick in the mud and hates that they don't have "normal" grandparent names lol.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    2,412
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire1992 View Post
    Surely it can't be rude when she has openly asked for suggestions? I don't understand why some of you are so quick to jump on my back without actually knowing the full story.

    And no she is not ethnic at all
    I think it's the way you are posting. I have been a bit confused with different things you have said, but I definitely got the intention originally that your mil wanted to be nana, but you and your mum thought that wasn't right because your mum was nana, so you wanted to take name suggestions to your mil so she could choose something else.

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,950
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked
    2,299
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    My mum didn't want grandma or nana either. So she chose Lola and my dad chose Pepe. DH is a stick in the mud and hates that they don't have "normal" grandparent names lol.
    Can I ask where they got thay from/how they picked it? I think its lovely!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Grandma threatening legal rights to my kids.
    By babybloom in forum Issues with Family Members
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30-05-2016, 22:05
  2. Grandma at 37
    By makers in forum Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 23-05-2016, 15:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting Education
Providing private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their own home. Sessions are flexible, including everything that hospital based programs cover. Click to find out more!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!