Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never knew there was a 'rule'. Growing up we called my mothers mother nana and my father's mother nanny. I only had one 'poppy'. Never called either grandma or grandpa.

When my kids were born we asked our mothers what their preference was. DH's mum is nana (his father grandad) and my mum is nanny (my dad is poppy). My mum also made the comment she wasn't old enough to be a 'grandma' and that 'nanny' sounded younger.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a grandparent to have a say in what they're called. However if the child calls them something else that's the child's call!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nana vs grandma

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I never knew there was a 'rule'. Growing up we called my mothers mother nana and my father's mother nanny. I only had one 'poppy'. Never called either grandma or grandpa.

When my kids were born we asked our mothers what their preference was. DH's mum is nana (his father grandad) and my mum is nanny (my dad is poppy). My mum also made the comment she wasn't old enough to be a 'grandma' and that 'nanny' sounded younger.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a grandparent to have a say in what they're called. However if the child calls them something else that's the child's call!
    Even my mil said to me it is usually the mothers parents who are nana and pop, it must just be a tradition carried down in some families.

And I completely agree, I want her to have a say in what she is called(and also ultimately decide what she wants to be called). I just wanted some alternative suggestions in case there is something else out there she likes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's up to the child and what they come up with my DS1 calls my mum mumma and my dad is papa my sisters DD calls mum grandma and her own mum mumma and our dad is still papa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire1992 View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions! My main concern is just making sure both my mum and mil are happy with whatever they are called. I just know for me personally in the past there have been some issues with my mil where she has tried to start drama... and really don't want this to be one of those things! I will talk to my mum and see if she is okay with my mil being nana "something". I'm sure at the end of the day it will all work out! I think my mil just wants the option to be called nana more than anything, not that she would actually pick to be called that.
    Why do you need to consult with your mother? It has nothing to do with her. Does your mil like to cause drama, or is she feeling suffocated by the fact that your mum seems to get a say in her actions? Because if you go to her and say 'my mum says you called be nana x' I can understand why she would be annoyed over that

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is nan and my kids never got to know mil but she was going to be nanny (her choice) my nan always said she was too old to be grandma but my cousins other grandmother was called nan so they called her nanma

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Why do you need to consult with your mother? It has nothing to do with her. Does your mil like to cause drama, or is she feeling suffocated by the fact that your mum seems to get a say in her actions? Because if you go to her and say 'my mum says you called be nana x' I can understand why she would be annoyed over that
    I haven't actually said anything to my mil about being called nana or what my mum has said at all. This is not an attack my mum or mil post, this was asking for suggestions. My mum has been nothing but lovely towards my mil and she has never tried to put her offside. My mil is a bit in your face with her opinions sometimes and has stepped on my mums toes a few times, but my mum has never done the same towards her. My mil has never had an issue with my mum, and trust me if she had, I would have heard it by now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nain (pronounced like the number nine) - it is the Welsh version which my mum uses. My dad is Taid (pronounced Tide).

I've never heard of traditions around maternal grandparents being one thing/paternal another. I have always known those who are grandparents to be called the same thing chosen by the grandparent by all grandchildren, whether maternal or paternal grandparents

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pointless1 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    Nain (pronounced like the number nine) - it is the Welsh version which my mum uses. My dad is Taid (pronounced Tide).

I've never heard of traditions around maternal grandparents being one thing/paternal another. I have always known those who are grandparents to be called the same thing chosen by the grandparent by all grandchildren, whether maternal or paternal grandparents
    I am not sure where the tradition originated from to be honest, only that both my mum and mil have said it to me now I just know that my family are funny with titles! I have an 18 year old niece that still has to call me aunty around her mum (my sister). Even though I have insisted she just call me by my first name haha!

They are different and nice names Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have Gran and Poppy on my husbands side and Grandma and Grandpa on mine. Both hubby and I have a Nanna(on the paternal side) but aren't close to them and I don't think either of our mums wanted to have the same name as their mil.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is granny (just like her mum was to us) and my mil is nana (just like her mum was to hubby). My dad is grandad and my fil in pops. My stepmum is nanny 'name'