Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2 nanna's growing up and my kids have 2 nan/nannys, my mil gets called nanny h now the kids are older as that's what my dh decided so we could diferentiate between nans when talking to the kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I really hope in the future I'm not called 'Grandma' it sounds too old and formal for me.

My Mum is called Nanny and MIL is called Nanna (her name).

Mum and my Mil were already grandparents before my kids came along, so we went with what they're already called.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I let your MIL decide for herself what she gets called.
    Plenty of kids have 2 nannas and manage to get by with minimal confusion

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (29-09-2016),SuperGranny  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my mil calls herself nanna. I can't stand nanna but it's her call so I'm not arguing. my mum is the polish term for grandma (babcia). I prefer grandma for mil but she started calling herself nanna and we've just run with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are some really great lists of alternative grandparent names. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

I personally have a Nanna and a Mara.

My MIL has a Polish heritage, so she goes by Babcia. Could something like that work for your MIL?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Growing up all my grandparents were Nanna, Pop/Papa. With the nanna's we just inserted the initial of their last name so we had a Nanna B and Nanna C (for example). I didn't realize there were "rules" to it tbh. My mum is Grammy to my nephew as she felt Nanna/Nanny/Grandma/Granny made her sound old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum is Nana and my DH's Mum says she prefers Nannan. Anything they wanted to be called would be fine by me. My Dad likes Poppy and DH's Dad likes Grandad, so we'll go with that

I don't think it would be a massive deal to have two grandparents called Nana. Kids don't seem to overthink things like that - they will know which one is which

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum ended up being called nannan by my DS when he was 10 months . He just said nannan and it stuck. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    There are some really great lists of alternative grandparent names. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

I personally have a Nanna and a Mara.

My MIL has a Polish heritage, so she goes by Babcia. Could something like that work for your MIL?
    Thank you for the suggestion! I don't think my mil has any heritage in particular that she celebrates but there is no harm in asking u suppose!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nana vs grandma

Thank you all for your suggestions! My main concern is just making sure both my mum and mil are happy with whatever they are called. I just know for me personally in the past there have been some issues with my mil where she has tried to start drama... and really don't want this to be one of those things! I will talk to my mum and see if she is okay with my mil being nana "something". I'm sure at the end of the day it will all work out! I think my mil just wants the option to be called nana more than anything, not that she would actually pick to be called that.
    Last edited by Sapphire1992; 29-09-2016 at 13:40.