Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nana vs grandma

Hi all,
    I just wanted your input into the whole grandmother/ nana names

So my mum has been a nana/ nanny for 18+ years now, and would like to keep that name for when we have children, which is fine by me.

However my mil keeps saying things like "I'm too old to be called grandma" "I don't know what to call myself when you have a baby" ect. Now from my understanding, and the way it is with my family and dh family, is that the females parents are usually called nana or nanny etc and the males parents are the grandma.

What are your thoughts on this? And do you have any alternative names to suggest? I just know my mum is funny with names and I don't want her to have to share her title (she is very old fashioned with traditions). I think this is fair enough though, she wants her name to be special and her to be the only one that gets called that by our. Children, I also want that for my mil. I just wish my mil was more open the being called grandma or grannie or something!

Suggestions? Thoughts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think your mum gets to dictate what your mil is called by her grandchildren. I would hate to be called grandma, and certainly wouldn't be happy being told I couldn't be nana because the in laws were. My kids have two Grandma's, and two nana's. They just say 'nana first name' at home, and call the grandparents nana/grandma to their faces.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Fauvette  (29-09-2016),LoveLivesHere  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My mum is nana and my nana is nana ABC(kiddo uses her dogs name when talking about her so we know who he is talking about but he always calls her nana though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I don't think your mum gets to dictate what your mil is called by her grandchildren. I would hate to be called grandma, and certainly wouldn't be happy being told I couldn't be nana because the in laws were. My kids have two Grandma's, and two nana's. They just say 'nana first name' at home, and call the grandparents nana/grandma to their faces.
    My mum hasn't said that my mil can't be called nana, in fact she even said to be she could be called nana "insert her name". But I know when she said that she was a little sad she may be sharing her title. That's why I'm searching for alternatives. To me nana sounds just as old as grandma (but that's just me)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Grandma to my gs ! I love being calls Grandma. It was what I decided to call myself ! The maternal grandma is nanny

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire1992 View Post
    My mum hasn't said that my mil can't be called nana, in fact she even said to be she could be called nana "insert her name". But I know when she said that she was a little sad she may be sharing her title. That's why I'm searching for alternatives. To me nana sounds just as old as grandma (but that's just me)
    But shouldn't it be your mil that gets to decide? This will be her title for all her grandchildren, not just yours. I really don't think it's something for your mum to be sad about (even saying she can be nana name...that's not your mum's call to make). When we had our kids we just told our parents to pick whatever they wanted, as long ilas it didn't sound like mummy or daddy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I'm Grandma to my gs ! I love being calls Grandma. It was what I decided to call myself ! The maternal grandma is nanny
    I think grandma is a nice name too do you have any other suggestions of names?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What if MIL was called Nan?

Your mum can remain as Nanny/Nana.

I can understand her reluctance about taking on Grandma/Granny, as it does have that 'older' ring to it.

I don't care much for 'alternative' names for grandparents, so no suggestions from me (sorry).

My mum tends to go by Nanny and MIL is Nanna. Growing up I used to call both my grandmothers Nanna, I'd just use their surname after if I was speaking about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nonna, gee gee ( gg) , ma My mum is gg for great grandma lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nonna?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast