+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What does one stay at home mum do all day?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstar View Post
    Hi, stay at home mumma's!
    If you're willing to share, I'd like to know what you do all day with your child(ren).

I'm a stay at home mum myself, to an almost 16 month old (and sorta in the process of ttc #2), and find that I just stay home, basically all day everyday. I'm a very anxious person, so I find it difficult to go out sometimes. Generally if the weather is good I'll go for a walk, as I've been trying to lose weight but not having much luck..

I asked my partner last night what he would do if he was the one to stay home with our daughter and he said he'd take her out, go see people and what not. But I find that there's only so much visiting you can do before people get sick of seeing you.. at least that's how I feel anyway.
    I don't have any friends and barely have many family close by either, so that makes it a bit hard.

So, what is it that you do all day?
    Please don't feel like a bad mum or that you are required to do amazing things/outings with your child everyday.
    Hats off to those of you with a fantastic social life and plenty of activities to choose from and go to.
    For those with anxiety, or little friends/family around the reality is very different.

Not to mention transport, what activities are available in your community or whether there is a limited budget.

Fwiw I didn't start taking dd1 out to things until she was around 18 months. And even then it was just the shops and library so a couple of days a week. If I was feeling cooped up or she was whiny/bored I'd pop her in the stroller for a walk. She's turned out just fine

I know these answers are making me feel very inadequate.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-09-2016 at 12:58.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (28-09-2016),BornToBe  (28-09-2016),Its Me  (28-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Please don't feel like a bad mum or that you are required to do amazing things/outings with your child everyday.
    Hats off to those of you with a fantastic social life with plenty of activities.
    For those with anxiety or little friends/family around the reality is very different.

Fwiw I didn't start taking dd1 out to things until she was around 18 months. And even then it was just the shops and library so a couple of days a week. If I was feeling cooped up or she was whiny/bored I'd pop her in the stroller for a walk. She's turned out just fine

I know these answers are making me feel very inadequate.
    Don't feel inadequate at all! The only reason I left the house was because I was on a fast downward spiral and if I didn't, I probably would have completely lost the plot. But trust me, my choice would have been to stay at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What does one stay at home mum do all day?

Yesterday was my regular catch up with a fellow mum so we shopped and ate

Today I'm at the movies seeing Bridget jones baby with a couple hundred other mums and babies

Tomorrow we will stay inside as there is a massive storm front coming through Adelaide, I live south of the city near the beach

Friday off to the pool

The weekend it's family time with DS1 and DP

Usually we only go out a couple times a week as ds2 is only 11wks and I don't like messing with his schedule to much

Thanks
    Reviews
    LMS, I know children can be perfectly happy at home when mum doesn't want to or can't go out frequently, due to ill health or not driving or living rurally or just by choice. No mum should feel bad over different routines and choices! Honestly the reason we go out several days a week is because I find it much easier on me at the moment, with the ages my kids are. They can get themselves in and out of the car and get around without a pram or stroller or nappies. There is no way I would be going out this frequently with a baby or young toddler around.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Its Me  (28-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every family is different, & if you are most comfortable home with your little one, that sounds like a great place for you both to be

I go a bit stir crazy at home, but we try to have one home day a week. I am a SAHM to 3 little ones & we are usually out of the house by 8am for school drop off, then playgroups, play dates, and volunteer activities. We usually come home for lunch & bed for the baby, & I cook dinner, do washing, etc. Then in the afternoon, I usually get to have about an hour play time with the two little ones before I pick the big one up from school and start the mad afternoon routine. Volunteer work in the community is a huge part of my life - this week I did around 25 hours volunteer work, all with the kids in tow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (28-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's awesome Cheesecake, do you mind me asking what kind of volunteer work can be done with littlies in tow? I used to enjoy the same, but haven't even thought it possible with kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I recently went back to work part time. But till then I was out every day. I need social interaction and lots of it. I've got 3 kids 11mths, 4&6yo. I left the house every day at 8.30 and returned for naps at 12pm.

Monday's is gym then library and coffee with friends.
    Tuesday's - gym, quick grocery shop then home
    Wednesday- activity ie museum or park or play date
    Thursday - playgroup
    Friday- another playgroup

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine is only 7 months old, and older two are at school.

Unless I absolutely need to get out of the house (food, formula, fresh air), we stay home.
    She is very very full on and only does two 30 min sleeps during the day, and it's pot luck as to when you manage to get her down, and she will only do it in her cot. If she misses one of them, she will not sleep more than 10 mins at a time for the whole night.

I do try to see my aunt once a week (only family out here) but she is always late and often cancels so it's tough.

ETA: not driving makes it tough too
    Last edited by DT75; 28-09-2016 at 22:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to add that getting out of the house gets a lot easier when they drop to 1 sleep instead of 2.
    DD had a morning sleep until about 16 months I think. I joined a playgroup but stopped going because the timing just messed up her sleep too much & had had to deal with a cranky kid all afternoon. Morning things always start at 10am which was a crappy time for her for a long time. Now she sleeps at midday it's much easier to get out & about in the mornings.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies, ladies!

My daughters dropped down to one nap for probably the last month or so but seeing as she wakes up quite early, around 4:30-5:30am majority of the time she's down for her nap around 10-11am, 12pm if I can get her to stay up that long. She generally naps for 3hrs!

I'm finding that I'm going a bit stir crazy just staying around home, so I think it'd be good to get out and hopefully start to slowly overcome my anxieties.
    It's just figuring out where to go is the troubling part, especially with only so much money.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickstar For This Useful Post:

DT75  (06-10-2016)