+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What does one stay at home mum do all day?

Hi, stay at home mumma's!
    If you're willing to share, I'd like to know what you do all day with your child(ren).

I'm a stay at home mum myself, to an almost 16 month old (and sorta in the process of ttc #2), and find that I just stay home, basically all day everyday. I'm a very anxious person, so I find it difficult to go out sometimes. Generally if the weather is good I'll go for a walk, as I've been trying to lose weight but not having much luck..

I asked my partner last night what he would do if he was the one to stay home with our daughter and he said he'd take her out, go see people and what not. But I find that there's only so much visiting you can do before people get sick of seeing you.. at least that's how I feel anyway.
    I don't have any friends and barely have many family close by either, so that makes it a bit hard.

So, what is it that you do all day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a stay home mum to 4 kids but one goes to school all week and the other 3 go to preschool 3 days a week. Two of the days they are at preschool I am out all day as I manage the school canteen. The other day is for big cleaning like the fridge, linen change etc.
    Days they are home, I feel like I spend most of the day just chasing them around cleaning up after them. I'm also a part of a few different volunteer organisations so they get dragged around to that a fair bit.
    I don't visit people too often. Everyone on my street works (we live on grounds for my husbands work), all my old school friends live 10 hours away and so do my in-laws (I'm estranged from my own family).

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a stay at home mum to a 3 year old and 18 month old, pregnant with no. 3. We go to a local playgroup which is awesome, go to local parks, we have a couple of home chill days a week... I'd like to say I'm one of those mums that has endless craft and activities organised but that's what playgroup is for lol.. when we are at home they play with their toys, outdoors and very occasionally we do some baking.

I myself, keep up with house work when the kids are playing quietly. I'm a list person so I meal plan, plan for upcoming event birthdays etc.. and do a little craft
    Last edited by Bon000000; 28-09-2016 at 09:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm back at work now, but when I stayed at home I had to make an effort to do something out of the house every day because I really struggled with PND and it was a lot worse if I was at home!

After dropping DD1 off, me and DD2 would go for a walk, either just on the local walking track or even to go get a coffee.
    One day a week would be a big shop, sometimes Mum would come along if she had a day off to help me out.
    Once a month we'd do something like the zoo.
    We'd go have lunch with DH maybe once a week.
    I'd also normally try and do maybe an hours cleaning a day, just to stay on top of it so we didn't totally drown!

Do you have an outdoor bootcamp near you maybe? I've seen more and more park based ones that involve your kids, that could be a nice 1hr outing? Even small things like make your lunch and go to the park for a bit? It will be easier now the weather is getting nicer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the day. Depends on what my kids are doing. We hsve swimming lessons, play group, home school co-op, community lunch, visiting friends and family, running errands, appointments, I do volunteer work and I do card making in a group. Cleaning the house, cooking, going on outings, library, mueseums, zoos, farms, park, beach, etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When I was at home, I used to have a loose routine of going to the gym first thing in morning and kids were in Creche, then library or playground and groceries if needed, home for nap and tidy up, usually headed out in afternoon again to meet up with friends then home to cook dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I was a SAHM mum for 4 years and loved our week , we usually had set things and activities every week and we definitely got out of the house every day , usually by 9am and were home by 2pm for naps and that's when I did all the cleaning/cooking/washing - our week used to look like:
    Monday - grocery shopping , which we would then usually meet up for lunch with my mum or sister ( either at their place or ours) and usually involved a park stop on the way

Tuesday - swimming lessons ( and a play in the water after as we did these with his cousins ) then usually all went to lunch

Wednesday - regular park/lunch date with a few friends and their kids , we always took his bike

Thursday - mainly music ( great activity for toddlers) then we always went into the office to visit DH and go for lunch and went fresh food shopping afterwards

Friday - little kickers in the morning ( another great toddler activity) and usually a few of us went to the park afterwards or back to my house

Then as he got older we did trampolining Monday afternoons and he went to pre school 2 days a week from 9-3 until he started school this year!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 28-09-2016 at 11:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it's all about the activities. They don't have to structured or cost anything much - park or beach in fine weather, library or museum or just strolling around the city in colder weather. Add in swimming lessons, kindergym, playgroup or for us, homeschool group and your week is pretty full and you actually have to find time to get the house jobs done. I find it's good to be in the routine of busy all morning, free time in afternoon, then end of day routine.

It got easier to find that routine as my children got older, and I had more of them. 16 months is still so little, they're not so much into all the activities. But you'll find as they grow they will really thrive with it all.
    Last edited by BornToBe; 28-09-2016 at 12:14. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with pp's, we try to get out of the house most days. I've been working 2 days a week (just gone back on mat leave), but in the days DD is home we do swimming lessons, toddler gym (in winter), library, grocery shopping, park.
    Now I'm not working I'll be looking for a playgroup.
    I like structure so I try to do an activity in the morning, home for lunch/sleep, then usually take the dog for a walk & stop at the park, plus cooking/baking, outdoor play in the arvo, or running errands. DD has been happily playing independently in our (fully fenced) backyard since about 18 months.
    Library rhyme time & story time are fantastic and free, why not call up your local to find out the times?

Thanks
    Reviews
    From this list, I didn't do all these things at once, these are just the things I did to break up the being home monotony over the years when I had 1 child and SAHM or worked part time.

Library Rhyme time
    Gym class - bub in creche
    Mum's and prams exercise class
    Water exercise class with bubs in a floaty seat attached to you by a rope (haven't seen these done in Aus though)
    Baby swimming lessons from 18m
    A local mums walking group I found on Facebook
    Playgroup (had to try a couple to find a 'fit' for me)
    A regular playdate (approx weekly) with a friend she met at playgroup (not until 3.5y)
    Delivering local papers with toddler in pram
    Going to the park

DD loved craft from an early age (DS didn't get into it til 3) so I would set her up and then do my own craft/sewing at the same time.

I lived away from family and was even OS with no friends for a while. Then we'd go window shopping or I'd get a coffee with her keeping me company.

I've always tried to alternate at home days with out and about days. I go a bit batty if I'm home every day but start to feel overwhelmed if I'm out every day too.