+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I live in Sydney and won't go to any big, crowded events. I'd happily never go to the city at all but have a toddler who loves the museums and zoos and aquariums so suck it up for his sake, but I'm on super high alert the whole time.

…Mind you, I'm like that anyway in Sydney - not just because of potential terrorists (which I know is pretty unlikely) but because of general homeless, drug addicted, unstable people - who I sadly have had several scary experiences with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Does anyone else feel this way?

Wow it never occurs to me to worry about these things.

Hmm maybe I should? I don't think I will ever die in a terrorist attack so I guess I don't worry. I've had dreadful things happen to people I know that were terrorist related but i know how random it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by michellead View Post
    . So no I don't let the threat of terrorist attacks stop me from living.
    Next week DH and I will fly to NYC for the weekend to attend a wedding.
    Would you feel the same if it was a week after the sept 11 attack?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Would you feel the same if it was a week after the sept 11 attack?
    I was in America about a month after the September 11 attacks. It was actually a very safe time to be there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just got back from Bali ! Felt extremely safe and we were out late at night walking around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I was in America about a month after the September 11 attacks. It was actually a very safe time to be there.
    @VicPark - yes I would feel the same. I lived in Boston when the marathon bombing occurred, we were 15m from the finish line with 4 month old DS, it was horrific but did not stop us from living.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always been nervous in crowds but I am a highly anxious person. When we were in Hawaii a few months ago we went to a very very crowded mall and I was waiting to be served at a food court and it suddenly hit me that there could be a attack of some kind and it wasn't necessarily a terrorist attack but just a shooting and I was over come with fear and anxiety that made me ill but not wanting to scare my kids I kept it to myself but was on high alert the rest of the trip even at the resort and I hated that I felt like that.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Wow, with all the brouhaha in SA I totally forgot about this thread!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have had a couple of a-ha! moments while reading. Like how my fear of crowds/claustrophobia in general could be a factor, and feeling the need for control. And thanks for the heads up re:removing the word 'irrational' from it all. Very helpful indeed :-)

I've always been kind of morbid in general: mum took me to a stevie wonder concert when I was 6 or 7 and omg the noise!! I was terrified for the first few songs and spent the time working out my escape route for when the building collapsed from the sound waves! I was also always the kid on the plane who would ask what would happen if the plane crashed.

But I wouldn't say I've been debilitated by these thoughts. If I really want to go to the concert despite it all, then I will find a way. It's worrying about a one off event, not about leaving the house every day iykwim?

In a bizarre way, it's comforting to know that some people understand how I might feel, even though I wish no one had to feel this way!