+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Booster seats/tether non tether/enlighten me?

    Fitting 2 car seats and a capsule into my 4WD is proving a bit of a headache...

    It's mainly the anchor points that are the issue. Can somebody confirm for me, does a booster seat (for 4-8 years) legally require an anchor point and tether, or is using the adult seat belt across the seat enough?

    I've done some googling and reading up on the automobile websites and it seems they don't need to be tethered at that age group?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the seat has a tether you must use it. There are some untethered boosters on the market and these are the only ones that you don't need the tether for. Reason being that the untethered boosters are all under 2kg, tethered seats are much heavier and if you were to crash without them being attached to an anchor, it would become a projectile and due to the size and weight could do some pretty serious damage.

    Does you car only have two anchor points, is that the issue? You can often get extra points installed by appropriately qualified people.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks very much for clarifying.

    No, it's not the anchor points - it's just the whole design of this older 4WD (1995 model), the anchor strap from the booster seat in the middle row goes above the face of the child behind it in the third row. It's just not comfortable for the child behind.

    I'm thinking I might need an untethered booster for the middle row. Particularly if they are safe/legal anyway. It'd make life a lot easier.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ah that doesn't sound great at all! Look at the safe n sound tourer and the infasecure folding boosters

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

    BornToBe  (27-09-2016)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Thanks very much for clarifying.

    No, it's not the anchor points - it's just the whole design of this older 4WD (1995 model), the anchor strap from the booster seat in the middle row goes above the face of the child behind it in the third row. It's just not comfortable for the child behind.

    I'm thinking I might need an untethered booster for the middle row. Particularly if they are safe/legal anyway. It'd make life a lot easier.
    Just double checking that it's a full seatbelt in the middle, not just a lap only one. Older 4WD's are great at having crappy lap only belts in the middle.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    Ah that doesn't sound great at all! Look at the safe n sound tourer and the infasecure folding boosters
    Tourer (which is the same as the swift at big w) has the highest markers of the untethered seats.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    BornToBe  (27-09-2016)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Just double checking that it's a full seatbelt in the middle, not just a lap only one. Older 4WD's are great at having crappy lap only belts in the middle.
    The seats are on each side so yeah, not using the middle belt at all. I have had them all fitted professionally, just not that keen on the tether straps over my little one's head. It's mainly getting in and out of her seat that is now difficult for her.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Tourer (which is the same as the swift at big w) has the highest markers of the untethered seats.
    Ok thanks, I can see the Swift listed online and it looks pretty good.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    The seats are on each side so yeah, not using the middle belt at all. I have had them all fitted professionally, just not that keen on the tether straps over my little one's head. It's mainly getting in and out of her seat that is now difficult for her.
    I seriously thought you wrote tether strap from booster seat in middle of the row. Not booster seat in middle row. I'm tired - that's my crappy excuse.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    BornToBe  (28-09-2016)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,113
    Thanks
    2,899
    Thanked
    3,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are tethered versus untethered the same safety wise?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Mmr booster
    By Rachi321 in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-09-2016, 05:38
  2. Best booster seat for big kids
    By Wise Enough in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 30-08-2016, 22:39
  3. Booster Seat for 7 year old
    By Tproz in forum Safety Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-07-2016, 19:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and Broadway
Pregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. Pregnancy back and pelvic pain. Also, we treat postnatal and women of all ages. Incontinence, prolapse, sexual and pelvic pain.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!