+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Booster seats/tether non tether/enlighten me?

Fitting 2 car seats and a capsule into my 4WD is proving a bit of a headache...

It's mainly the anchor points that are the issue. Can somebody confirm for me, does a booster seat (for 4-8 years) legally require an anchor point and tether, or is using the adult seat belt across the seat enough?

I've done some googling and reading up on the automobile websites and it seems they don't need to be tethered at that age group?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the seat has a tether you must use it. There are some untethered boosters on the market and these are the only ones that you don't need the tether for. Reason being that the untethered boosters are all under 2kg, tethered seats are much heavier and if you were to crash without them being attached to an anchor, it would become a projectile and due to the size and weight could do some pretty serious damage.

Does you car only have two anchor points, is that the issue? You can often get extra points installed by appropriately qualified people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for clarifying.

No, it's not the anchor points - it's just the whole design of this older 4WD (1995 model), the anchor strap from the booster seat in the middle row goes above the face of the child behind it in the third row. It's just not comfortable for the child behind.

I'm thinking I might need an untethered booster for the middle row. Particularly if they are safe/legal anyway. It'd make life a lot easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ah that doesn't sound great at all! Look at the safe n sound tourer and the infasecure folding boosters

5. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Thanks very much for clarifying.

No, it's not the anchor points - it's just the whole design of this older 4WD (1995 model), the anchor strap from the booster seat in the middle row goes above the face of the child behind it in the third row. It's just not comfortable for the child behind.

I'm thinking I might need an untethered booster for the middle row. Particularly if they are safe/legal anyway. It'd make life a lot easier.
    Just double checking that it's a full seatbelt in the middle, not just a lap only one. Older 4WD's are great at having crappy lap only belts in the middle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    Ah that doesn't sound great at all! Look at the safe n sound tourer and the infasecure folding boosters
    Tourer (which is the same as the swift at big w) has the highest markers of the untethered seats.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Just double checking that it's a full seatbelt in the middle, not just a lap only one. Older 4WD's are great at having crappy lap only belts in the middle.
    The seats are on each side so yeah, not using the middle belt at all. I have had them all fitted professionally, just not that keen on the tether straps over my little one's head. It's mainly getting in and out of her seat that is now difficult for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Tourer (which is the same as the swift at big w) has the highest markers of the untethered seats.
    Ok thanks, I can see the Swift listed online and it looks pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    The seats are on each side so yeah, not using the middle belt at all. I have had them all fitted professionally, just not that keen on the tether straps over my little one's head. It's mainly getting in and out of her seat that is now difficult for her.
    I seriously thought you wrote tether strap from booster seat in middle of the row. Not booster seat in middle row. I'm tired - that's my crappy excuse.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (28-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are tethered versus untethered the same safety wise?