+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Globe Trekking Challenge - colleague possibly cheating

If you don't know what it is, the Globe Trekking Challenge is a worldwide thing, companies form teams of 5 and you each have a Garmin Vivfit with the aim of accumulating as many steps as you can each day for 3 months. There is a leaderboard which shows you which team and which individual is leading. It's aimed at getting people up and about a bit more, taking the stairs instead of the lift etc etc. So it's not too serious and I don't think there are any prizes, each company announces its winner though and I think we have over 130 teams. Anyway a colleague of mine has been leading the whole way and putting in a lot of effort, walking to work, walking home, accumulating lots of steps, however recently he was overtaken by someone else who is adding an unbelievable amount of steps and activity. There is an smartphone app so you can see other teams and individuals performances, you add steps from the garmin and also add steps manually for various activities such as weights, basketball, swimming etc. Typically, people are putting in around 10'000 steps, active people 15'000 - 20'000, very active people around 25'000- 30'000. He's putting in around 60'000 - 70'000 steps per day, which equates to about 12 - 14 hours of activity and these are on days he works 8 - 4 (in an office). I don't really want to make a big deal about this, but it just seems like he's blatantly cheating. He would have to be getting up at 1am exercising for 7 hours, coming to work for 8 and then exercising from 4pm to 11pm. Some days there is less activity. I feel a bit petty raising it as an issue, but I was just told he won last year too.

This is what he did yesterday:

Boxing 6900 (1 hour)
    Walking 16’700 (3 hours)
    Weights 3300 (1 hour)
    Other 4000 (1 hour)
    Yoga 2700 (1 hour)
    Basketball 8250 (1.5 hour)
    Running 14’000 (1.5 hour)
    Cycling 10’450 (2 hours)

Total steps = 66’300
    Total hours 12 hours

Should I just let it go? If I did complain, what are they going to do? It's kind of a gentlemen's agreement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It would depend on how much it personally bothered me.

I know there's no prizes, but I also do not appreciate dishonesty.

I think the fact that you can add steps manually really leaves it open to this kind of trickery. I mean, 2700 steps for yoga - really?!

Does anyone else in the office have the same thoughts as you (that this fellow is cheating?).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How do you determine the steps for each exercise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post

Does anyone else in the office have the same thoughts as you (that this fellow is cheating?).
    Yeah a few people mentioned it to me, before I was aware of it. He either has no understanding of what he's supposed to do or he is blatantly cheating. Personally I think it's the latter considering the amount of activities he's doing every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    How do you determine the steps for each exercise?
    You choose the activity, choose the duration and the intensity and it will automatically calculate the number of steps. I wouldn't really care if someone was exaggerating their steps, but this guy has taken it to another level. I think his best day was a whopping 14 hours of activity and that was a week day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's possible that he actually doesn't understand how to do this whole steps challenge thing. It's too obvious that there's no way he can do 12-14 hours of exercise a day, especially if he's sitting in an office for 7 hours or so in a 24hr period.. At what point does he eat or sleep or spend time with family? If one was to cheat, surely they wouldn't do it so stupidly? Maybe someone should ask him if he is doing it properly? It's possible he doesn't even realise. Some people are technologically challenged if it's a case of actual cheating, I think you might have to just turn a blind eye (for your own sanity) because there really isn't anything you can do about it, and in any case, he gets no financial benefit if he wins..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let it go, if it's obvious he's cheating let him be the fool rather than you be the fool highlighting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Really he's only cheating himself. We had a similar global challenge in my workplace and suspected we had a cheater but whats he gaining? He's not winning anything so all he's gaining is a bad reputation. Don't get dragged down into it, focus your energy on your performance in the challenge.