+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips to help choose the right childcare

Hi all,

I am starting to look at childcare options for my LO for next year in June when she will be 1. At the moment I think I will need care for 3 days at the most.

I am tossing up between a larger center vs. a smaller center (there is one that takes 38 children with Max 10 in the infant room)

FDC is an option I looked into but with our working hours unfortunately we need long care daycare (drop off 730 and pick up 6)

We have visited one center and the infant room was the first room on the right and had like bar swing doors not a regular door like the other rooms so was thinking it would be pretty cold in there at winter time. Other than that the center IMO was pretty good.

This is my first so I am not too sure of the things I should be looking out for or asking when I go visit the centers so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just put my bub in daycare recently. The things that attracted me to the centre I chose/things I considered when I was choosing were:

Location - on a quiet street, not on a corner and play areas are not visible at all from the street

Ratio of educators to kids

Fees

Does the centre provide food?

Do they provide nappies?

What special programs/activities do they have for the kids - eg mine has a pet rabbit in each of the baby and toddler areas, and chickens for the kindy kids. They also offer happy feet dance for the older kids.

Are there separate areas for the different age groups to play in?

Are there many/any people on staff who are qualified teachers?

Is the centre clean and tidy?

Do the staff seem friendly?

Do the other kids look like they are enjoying themselves?

How do they communicate with parents? (Eg my centre often uses email but also has a general notice board as you walk in, and boards outside each room with an overview of what's been going on in the room, plus every day they do a summary of what happened/activities with pictures and put these in a display book so you can always look back and see what happened on a particular day). Also what do they do if there's an incident or emergency?

What is the procedure for dispensing medication?

I think I covered it all. Some of these things may be more/less important to you. I was a bit clueless when I was looking for a centre too and didn't think of all this stuff before I started looking. Some of it I had in mind and the rest the centre director addressed during my tour without asking. Good luck with the search!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Gagingi  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    I just put my bub in daycare recently. The things that attracted me to the centre I chose/things I considered when I was choosing were:

Location - on a quiet street, not on a corner and play areas are not visible at all from the street

Ratio of educators to kids

Fees

Does the centre provide food?

Do they provide nappies?

What special programs/activities do they have for the kids - eg mine has a pet rabbit in each of the baby and toddler areas, and chickens for the kindy kids. They also offer happy feet dance for the older kids.

Are there separate areas for the different age groups to play in?

Are there many/any people on staff who are qualified teachers?

Is the centre clean and tidy?

Do the staff seem friendly?

Do the other kids look like they are enjoying themselves?

How do they communicate with parents? (Eg my centre often uses email but also has a general notice board as you walk in, and boards outside each room with an overview of what's been going on in the room, plus every day they do a summary of what happened/activities with pictures and put these in a display book so you can always look back and see what happened on a particular day). Also what do they do if there's an incident or emergency?

What is the procedure for dispensing medication?

I think I covered it all. Some of these things may be more/less important to you. I was a bit clueless when I was looking for a centre too and didn't think of all this stuff before I started looking. Some of it I had in mind and the rest the centre director addressed during my tour without asking. Good luck with the search!
    Thank you! This is all super helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Look at stuff like their resources and how they lay out their rooms too. Is it all plastic or a mix of natural stuff too? Do they just dump a container of pencils/textas on the table and a pile of paper, or do they also put pictures and interesting objects there to help inspire the children? Are there dinosaurs on a cloth, or is there a tub with leaves, branches and rocks and sand and maybe mud with dinosaurs hidden? Does it make you want to play too!?

Are staff interacting with the children, using quiet voices and having respectful and meaningful interactions....but can they talk to you too

Are they acredited and what levels did they achieve?

What are the procedures for sick children, emergencies, allergies, sunsmart, dietary , etc

Do they have a high staff turnover (this could indicate a problem ...but it may not directly affect your child). E.g. pay dispite...but the turnover may make it hard to form attachments

How can families be involved?

What is the orientation process? Do they have an oprn door policy? (Can you drop in whenever) can you call ??

Do they have a regular group of staff as relief or do they use an agency? (My sons childcare, and where i worked, would offer relief days to part time staff first so that they're familiar with things and hopefully most children. It helps relieve some issues with new staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you will be breastfeeding how do they support that

Sleep routines? Do the ecpect self settling?