+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is it Sensory Processing Disorder?

Hi Everyone. This is my first forum post so please excuse any rookie mistakes.
    I have a two year old daughter. She is the youngest of three and probably over the last year we have noticed aggressive behaviour in her.
    Her prominent syptoms would be

-non verbal (maybe says 10 words, I've heard her say things like "strawberry" after I offer her one but she has never said it again even after numerous prompts.

- still doesn't sleep well at night. Gets up anywhere between 2-5 times a night. I've recently given into co sleeping because I can't bear anymore screaming

- aggressive. We all basically tip toe around her. If she hears "no" she becomes angry, can hit, scream, bite. Occasionally her eyes narrow and she talks at you in this aggressive mumble.

-hitting. In the middle of happy play, or just out of nowhere she can come and hit us, sometimes with her hands and sometimes with objects

-can be quite clumsy (although all my kids are, clearly get that from me)
    -she is always coming up to me (never talking) looks for any finger she can find and drags me places. 95% to the pantry. I try and help her but she is either fixed on something she can't have (like stock cubes) or she doesn't really want anything at all but that's a lengthy process of elimination.

-my daughter is so particular about cutting her own food and heaven forbid if I try and open a banana for her or peel a mandarin when she knows fair well she can do it herself.

Okay after that essay of the negative here's a lot of things that don't fall into the category of Sensory Processig Disorder (which is what has been suggested to me)
    -she does not like the weighted vest or being bear hugged (deep pressure type thing)
    -she's not sensitive to noise or textures
    -for the most part she's quite good with her motor skills (cuts her own food).
    -can be quite friendly to new people and even turns on the charm

Well there you go. I really appriciate everyone's time for reading this and if anyone has had the same experience or has any advice or theories I would love to hear from you!
    Thanks so much!
    -Anxious Mumma bear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    First thing that pops into my mind is has she has her hearing tested?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Theanxiousmummabear  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Welcome to bubhub

To me personally, nothing you have posted screams red flags for SPD.

You say she is 2 years old - how many months old is she? If she's closer to 2.5 or 3, I would be concerned about her speech/language development and would be looking into speech therapy.

If you are generally concerned (sounds like your mama instincts are telling you something is amiss), perhaps an appointment with a GP would be a good starting point. Tell them your concerns and ask for a paediatrician referral.

I'm sure many people will tell you not to worry, but if there is something more complex going on with your DD (SPD or perhaps ASD), early diagnosis is incredibly important. I always think it's best to go with your gut and have things checked out.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (27-09-2016),Theanxiousmummabear  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    First thing that pops into my mind is has she has her hearing tested?
    Yes - thank you, I forgot this! It's important to rule out hearing issues before exploring anything more complex.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is it Sensory Processing Disorder?

As a parent of 4 kids, one of whom has ASD and a whole myriad of sensory problems, nothing from that particularly screams SPD to me.

I would have hearing checked, and also try and get a referral for a speechie.

What you have described seems very similar to my youngest, who is also 2. He has nothing diagnosable, no SPD or anything, and he is very similar to what you describe with the aggression and sleep especially. The only difference is, he can talk very well for his age. But he sleeps rotten and he hits a lot. He also tries to eat stock cubes all the time funnily enough. He is at the pantry almost all of his waking hours it seems.

So I would see about her auditory and speech concerns and you may find that there is a problem there and that it is the basis for all of the other concerns. You'd be surprised how poorly a child can behave if they feel stuck with regard to communication.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 27-09-2016 at 08:59.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My child was diagnosed with SPD at age 4, & she had showed signs of something not being 'right' from birth. It came at absolutely no suprise to me, in fact I wouls have bwen more suprised if I was told there was nothing amiss. So you as her mother should trust your instincts. That being said, nothing you have described to me sounds out of the range of normal for a two year old - but if you are concerned, see if your GP can refer you to a paediatrician or perhaps an OT.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (27-09-2016),Theanxiousmummabear  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with getting a hearing test as a first step. Have you been to a pediatrician about your concerns? Maybe the aggression could be frustration from not having the ability to communicate verbally? It's really hard at that age because some things are just age appropriate (but frustrating!), such as being very particular about things, hitting, etc. A paediatrician would be a good starting point to let you know whether her behaviors fall into the 'typical' range or not.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some great advice above. Have you taken her to a GP or paediatrician yet? I would start there.

We had some communication and behavioural issues with my DS1 when he was 3 and we had him assessed by a child psychologist and a speech therapist. At first, the childcare director told us she was almost certain he had SPD. In hindsight, she was not qualified to make that assessment and shouldn't have said anything to me. But it prompted me to look thoroughly into SPD and from what you have written, I really don't think that's what your DD is going through.

It could be a developmental delay, could be hearing as suggested above, or it could just be a case of terrible 2s and not wanting to use words because she knows she can get away with other forms of communication?

It's good that you are investigating this and going with your instincts, but try not to self-diagnose her. It will do your head in. Just seek some professional assessment as soon as possible to ease your mind and if some intervention or therapy is required, at least you're starting early!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks heaps all! All great advice. I have a upcoming ped appointment in November so that's a good start! Hopefully some more answers and yes I should push for a hearing check as there's a family history of hearing issues. (It just didn't occur to me that it could be the cause of such extreme behaviour).
    Thanks so so so much I really appriciate all your time and help! 💜

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Theanxiousmummabear For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Our paed flagged my daughter for sensory issues. Hers aren't extreme but do affect her eating. She doesn't like new foods, particular textures of food etc. We have worked really hard to get her to go without shoes on sand/grass etc. we haven't moved passed the loud sounds though.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post: