+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I would let her - but only if she could pay for it herself. In regards to body autonomy - I read some unschooling pages on facebook where there was an obese child with her teeth rotting and falling from her mouth. He parents allowed her to make her own decisions about what she ate every day (chocolate, chips and coke for dinner) & didnt make her brush her teeth (her body, her choice). Their dilemma was what to do with her rotting teeth because the child didnt want to go to the dentist (her body, her choice). The point of this story is that someimes children dont have the maturity to understand the long term consequences of their decisions. That's why we parents are responsible for making choices for them. That being said, I would encourage hair dye that causes less damage to the hair, as PP suggested - & I would think it would be ok.
    I'm pretty sure that called child neglect. That's insanity.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would let her - but only if she could pay for it herself. In regards to body autonomy - I read some unschooling pages on facebook where there was an obese child with her teeth rotting and falling from her mouth. He parents allowed her to make her own decisions about what she ate every day (chocolate, chips and coke for dinner) & didnt make her brush her teeth (her body, her choice). Their dilemma was what to do with her rotting teeth because the child didnt want to go to the dentist (her body, her choice). The point of this story is that someimes children dont have the maturity to understand the long term consequences of their decisions. That's why we parents are responsible for making choices for them. That being said, I would encourage hair dye that causes less damage to the hair, as PP suggested - & I would think it would be ok.
    I absolutely agree. I am trying to teach my girls to have pride in themselves, in their appearance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I wish my mum put her foot down and didn't let me colour my beautiful Scandinavian blonde hair at 13 it went mousy brown
    Just so you feel better...that would have happened anyway. Dying your hair doesn't change the new growth colour that comes through.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Just so you feel better...that would have happened anyway. Dying your hair doesn't change the new growth colour that comes through.
    I know but it would have been loverly for longer mum let me put henna in my hair as she preferred a "natural " product that unfortunately meant it lasted forever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I know but it would have been loverly for longer mum let me put henna in my hair as she preferred a "natural " product that unfortunately meant it lasted forever
    Oh yeah, henna is awful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's called lazy parenting. Not unschooling. They probably didn't discuss the pros and cons of their choices. I unschool and I can tell you right now that my kids do brush their teeth because they know they wouldn't want their teeth falling out or bad breath. They also often make healthy choices in regards to food too and my eldest is often playing sports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've made an appointment for Friday we are both going together. Spoke to the hairdresser and he said he can put a few foils randomly and give her a nice cut/treatment. More like a quarter head of foils, just to make her feel special. He was very understanding. She is happy with that so yay.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-09-2016),Alicia111  (29-09-2016),Anjalee  (28-09-2016),BornToBe  (28-09-2016),delirium  (29-09-2016),Full House  (28-09-2016),gingermillie  (28-09-2016),Happymum2  (28-09-2016),HillDweller  (28-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-09-2016),loodle  (28-09-2016),Marchbundle  (28-09-2016),Sonja  (28-09-2016),Stretched  (28-09-2016),Tinkers  (28-09-2016),witherwings  (30-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    That's called lazy parenting. Not unschooling. They probably didn't discuss the pros and cons of their choices. I unschool and I can tell you right now that my kids do brush their teeth because they know they wouldn't want their teeth falling out or bad breath. They also often make healthy choices in regards to food too and my eldest is often playing sports.
    Sorry I know this is taking this thread off topic but I'm genuinely really curious because I don't know much about unschooling!
    If one of your kids did decide they didn't like brushing their teeth, for whatever reason, maybe they read an article saying it's bad for them/chemicals etc. What would you do if it's their body/choice? I'm just trying to understand what happens when the child is doing something that is against the parents beliefs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Sorry I know this is taking this thread off topic but I'm genuinely really curious because I don't know much about unschooling!
    If one of your kids did decide they didn't like brushing their teeth, for whatever reason, maybe they read an article saying it's bad for them/chemicals etc. What would you do if it's their body/choice? I'm just trying to understand what happens when the child is doing something that is against the parents beliefs.
    Or not have a shower for a week or brush their hair? I don't know much about it either but isn't a parent's job to guide their child and prepare them for their life ahead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    Or not have a shower for a week or brush their hair? I don't know much about it either but isn't a parent's job to guide their child and prepare them for their life ahead?
    Exactly. My 7 year old knows she needs to brush her hair, and that she will get bad knots which are hard to get out, would result in needing to be cut out etc. Yet everyday I have to tell her that her hair needs to be brushed... and everyday she complains. If I left her to her own devices, even knowing the outcome, she'd probably chose to still not brush it.