+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dizzy after feeding?

I have been EBF DS2 for over 6 months now and on and off I find I feel really light headed and dizzy after a feed. It's not every feed but I feel like it's happening more often, at least once a day i go to stand after a feed and feel all light headed and fuzzy. It only lasts a few seconds but often I have to grab a bench etc to steady myself.

I am wandering if anyone else has experienced this and knows what causes it? I am hesitant to go to the GP as I feel fine otherwise and it feels like a waste of time (which I have very little of at present!). Especially if it's just a 'normal' breastfeeding thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dizzy after feeding?

Could you be low in iron? I'm not BFing, but had some bloods done as thought I was heading into menopause, and she did my iron too which was 7! My Dr said I was going for a record, so clearly not good (low end of normal is 25). It kind of explained why I was so tired (which I put down to having kids), and can cause dizziness too I think. I'd sometimes get 3 seconds of dizziness if I got up quickly, plus my sleep was bad which is another symptom. I had an infusion, and while I'm still tired, it's normal tired. I don't feel so lethargic and "half dead tired" like I was before. My only other suggestion is to drink more water and see if that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (26-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Mine is due to low blood pressure. From insufficient water intake.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (27-09-2016),sunnygirl79  (26-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I have started to drink more water as I thought it couldn't hurt so will see if it helps any. Low blood pressure and low iron are definitely possibilities as I had both during pregnancy (but my iron usually comes good after birth so I stopped taking ferro-grad as it's not supposed to be good long term, and my last iron test was ok).

Will go get bloods done/BP checked if it continues I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Did you find increasing water helped at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How bout your sugars?
    I have a pretty clean diet normally.
    DD 6 mths is ebf and I have found I can't have my low carb days like I used to - so carbs are up and I also sometimes need a sugar hit to help me too - I generally have a fast metabolism and I guess the feeding drags a lot out of you too!

(I had low sugars a lot in pregnancy - DP is type 1 diabetic so thankfully he knows the signs of a hypo and tested me - always low!!!!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clb84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to get quite dizzy while BF and I think it was a combination of dehydration and not eating enough. I'd try upping water intake and snacks and see if that helps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Did you find increasing water helped at all?
    Yep and increasing my salt intake. Usually I eat a low salt or no salt diet but as I sweat so much during pregnancy and summer my reserves are lower. A berocca 1-2 a week does the trick with more water as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    This. I find downing a good litre of water helps to knock out the dizzies. Also mineral water is really nice for a change and a boost.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (27-09-2016)