+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think a lot of it is testing our limits as everything else is also an argument these days 😁. Gotta love Threenagers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-09-2016),sajimum  (25-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4 year old sleeps maybe 1-2 days a week for about an hour.
    She went through phases from about 2.5 of not napping (although we always enforced "rest time"), and would be SO tired and cranky for the rest of the day. She now copes fine without a nap...we still have "rest time" so that I/DP get a break! She's been a brilliant sleeper over night since she was about 1, and it has never really changed regardless of whether she naps.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did dropping your little ones nap affect their sleep?

Honestly if she's still going down for a nap most days without a fuss I'd guess it's more behaviour than actually not being tired. Especially if it's the same whether she naps or not.
    Eta: Oh and I still nap when dd1 has "quiet time" now lol so it's not the end Of the world when the nap eventually stops happening. Just be firm about quiet/rest time
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 25-09-2016 at 21:24.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I think your last sentence is key @Little Miss Sunshine about whether the nap effects night time sleep. My ds would go down easily for a nap (and still would now) but would not sleep at night until 10-11pm. So we had to actively stop him napping during the day!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Ds1 self dropped at 2. It made for grisly afternoons and earlier bedtimes for a while but we shifted that bit by bit. He still did 12hrs per night. Ds2 slept 2 to 3 hrs per day til he started school and it never affected his 11- 12hr night sleep. Dd i cant remember but i think we dropped it so we could maintain normal bedtime of 630ish. We both go to bed at 830 so a late bedtime for our kids isnt an option.
    We are similar.

Dd1 is 5.5 and will still sleep 1-2 days a week.
    Dd2 is 3.5 and absolutely needs her day nap.

Both sleep 11 - 12 hours overnight with a bedtime of 6:30ish.

DH should be in bed at 7, but it's more like 8 these days. And im preg with #3 so want. All. The. Sleep. Late bedtimes really arent an option for our family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 naps every day she isn't at school for 1.5-2hrs. On school days she is a PIA after 5pm. Bedtime is 6.30/7pm-5.30/6am with or without a nap. She is 6yo.

Dd2 is 4.5yo and naps 2hrs every day. Bedtime is 7pm-5.30am.

I'm 32 and nap 1-3hrs 3-4 days a week. Today I had a 4hr nap.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (25-09-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We made both of ours drop the nap at 2.5 when they started stuffing around at bedtime until 10-11pm. DD adjusted better but she's always been a more consistent night sleeper so only needed a catch up nap once every 2-3 weeks. DS would probably still nap every day but he gets less sleep overall if he does (1-2hr nap plus night 11pm-6am - compared to night 7/8pm-6am) so no nap is better for him.

If I nap then I can't get to sleep until 1-2 am.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did dropping your little ones nap affect their sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    Hi, just wondering what age your little one completely dropped their day sleep and how it changed their night time sleep?
    My boys are 3 and 5 almost and they both still have a day nap, although my older boy doesn't have naps at childcare, so 3 days a week he won't nap. His night time sleep is exactly the same regardless, but his behaviour toward the end of the day if he hasn't slept is almost unbearable. My 3 year old will sleep every day for at least 2 hours and then 10 hours overnight (edited to correct hours - too early in the morning for my brain)! They go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 6ish.

When they were both younger, I.e babies sleeping in cots, every time a nap was dropped, they slept longer during other times.
    Last edited by witherwings; 26-09-2016 at 06:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD decided herself not to nap from 3rd birthday onwards. Didn't affect her going to bed routine, bedtime between 7 & 8 pm. I kept putting her down for a nap until she had a couple of weeks of just staying awake instead of napping, then we didn't bother trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both kids dropped naturally around the age of two, and it was great - they started going to bed earlier, around 6-7 and sleeping for 12 hours solid. It was just so easy to put them to sleep once the day nap had gone (they were SO tired by then).