+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did dropping your little ones nap affect their sleep?

Hi, just wondering what age your little one completely dropped their day sleep and how it changed their night time sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    About 3 years and 4 months. Rarely naps except on car trips or sick. Only changed night by making it a tinier bit easier to go to sleep and she may have went to sleep earlier for like a week and then settled back in to her bed time of 8pm

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Ds' sleep improved heaps. With a nap he was staying up to 10-11pm (before it got bad it was 8-9pm) and without a nap he was going to bed easily at 6:30-7pm.

Started dropping it at 2 and completely dropped by 2 years 4 months.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 25-09-2016 at 20:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD dropped hers around her 2nd birthday. It meant she went to sleep much earlier, but she continued to wake during the night.
    DS is 4 in Nov. He still occasionally naps (maybe 1-2 times a week) and it makes it really hard for him to get to sleep. Without his nap he easily goes down at 6.30pm.

Thanks
    Reviews

Dd1 dropped hers (around 2 hours) for good apart from car trips around 3.5 year old, the difference is she goes to bed at 6/630 without a peep as opposed to 7pm with occasional muck up, still up ridiculous o'clock. Still has the odd wake up.
    Oh and she's usually feral and turdish in the late afternoon, then becomes very quiet and placid lol.

Eta: we never "dropped" her nap. She always has been pretty good at bedtime. It just got to the point where she just couldn't fall asleep and muck around in her room during nap time.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 25-09-2016 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 self dropped at 2. It made for grisly afternoons and earlier bedtimes for a while but we shifted that bit by bit. He still did 12hrs per night. Ds2 slept 2 to 3 hrs per day til he started school and it never affected his 11- 12hr night sleep. Dd i cant remember but i think we dropped it so we could maintain normal bedtime of 630ish. We both go to bed at 830 so a late bedtime for our kids isnt an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    DD1 stopped having naps every day at about 3 and then stopped completely around 3.5. It didn't really have any impact on her night sleep.

DS stopped napping at 26 months but he went through a really difficult stage at this age as he broke his arm, toilet trained (his doing, not mine) and gave up his day nap all in one go and he just wasn't ready to stop his nap but he refused to sleep unless he was in the car where he just conked out from exhaustion.

DD2 stopped napping at about 3 as well and it didn't impact her night sleep. She's going through a phase where she sometimes sleeps at daycare and this stuffs up my bed time routine as she's not tired

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.
    My DD1 is 3.5 and was the perfect sleeper until she turned 3. She still has a day nap most days (might miss one a fortnight) without any fuss but now her bed time of 7pm is just a nightmare with her making a million excuses until like 8pm- which sucks as her 2 year old sister is trying to sleep next door! I have found though on the days that she does miss a nap that it makes no difference to her mucking up at bed time.... But wondered if she missed it more frequently (or altogether but really not looking forward to this lol) might improve it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    Thanks.
    My DD1 is 3.5 and was the perfect sleeper until she turned 3. She still has a day nap most days (might miss one a fortnight) without any fuss but now her bed time of 7pm is just a nightmare with her making a million excuses until like 8pm- which sucks as her 2 year old sister is trying to sleep next door! I have found though on the days that she does miss a nap that it makes no difference to her mucking up at bed time.... But wondered if she missed it more frequently (or altogether but really not looking forward to this lol) might improve it
    If she skips a nap do you put her down at the same time? Maybe if you do, she's actually overtired?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    If she skips a nap do you put her down at the same time? Maybe if you do, she's actually overtired?
    This was my thought. On the rare occasion we've kept dd1 up she mucks up big time at bed even though she's exhausted lol.

Or it could just be the age. Testing your limits we've had to be tough on dd1 at bedtime she goes through occasional phases of calling out, mucking up etc. we've had to resort to removing toys
    So how even if she's not tired she's in her room very quiet not disturbing us