+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rhesus positive

I have just completed a freeze all cycle and ended up having a ruptured cyst which I had operated on and while in theatre they found out I have some rhesus positive antibodies, I am also in the middle of a fet with my scan on Friday , I know that once pregnant the baby will need extra monitoring but will being positive affect me getting pregnant ? Are they different to nkc ? Anyone with positive rhesus antibodies have any advice? I did have the anti d injections at the time of my miscarriages but mustn't have worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding is its only a problem if you are rhesus negative. (apologies if this is what you meant and i read it wrong).
    I am rhesus negative, first baby was positive which can be an issue if baby's positive blood mixes with mums negative blood at any point during pregnancy, (sounds like what you mentioned in your post).
    I researched a lot at the time, and found out that I didn't have any anti bodies so i didnt have the anti d, but from what I was told by numerous practitioners and lots of reading, is that if you do have the antibodies and then you get pregnant, and if that baby has positive blood, there's a likelihood that your body will 'attack' that embryo/Feotus as it thinks it is a foreign item in your body.
    I am not sure about what happens if the baby makes it to term, I didn't get that far into researching to be honest as my test came back with no anti bodies.
    Like i said I'm not sure if this answers your question as im not sure if you were asking about positive or negative.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Evelynn For This Useful Post:

kgh09  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, if the antibodies travel to baby it can cause a few quite serious issues (I think anaemia is one of them).

Depending on the severity in the mother it can essentially render you infertile for future pregnancies as well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmaf For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (28-09-2016),kgh09  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you have a -ve blood type (A-, B-, O-, AB-), and you become pregnant with a baby with +ve blood type, then this first pregnancy "sensitises" your immune system to that baby's +ve blood type.

The -ve/+ve refers to the Rhesus antigen on your blood cells.

So, yes, after a FIRST pregnancy (whether it results in a live birth or not), you typically develop Rhesus antibodies.

This becomes a problem in your SECOND pregnancy, and can cause very serious foetal abnormalities or death of the baby.

To avoid this, after the birth or miscarriage of the FIRST baby, the "anti-D injection" is given to the mother. Subsequent doses may be necessary. This is done to protect the SECOND baby.

Talk to your OBGYN, and obtain a copy of your blood results (blood type and antibody type and levels). If you want to PM me I'll be happy to interpret them for you.

Hope this makes sense. It's actually a quite common scenario (lots of people have Rhesus negative blood types), and in the vast majority of cases, with anti-D treatment, is not an issue.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by J37; 27-09-2016 at 08:05.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

kgh09  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    It's actually a quite common scenario (lots of people have Rhesus negative blood types), and in the vast majority of cases, with anti-D treatment, is not an issue.
    Absolutely I just had my 4th +ve baby and am -ve myself. Anti-d is given as standard twice during pregnancy as well as if any trauma/bleeding and again after birth of the baby is +ve. No issues here

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaf For This Useful Post:

kgh09  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you , I'm not sure of levels but will be getting them checked again I just know when I seen the surgeon after my surgery at the local hospital not with my usual drs that when in surgery that they had found positive rhesus antibodies, I always had my anti d injections when required with last pregnancys , I am worried for when I get pregnant this time if it is positive for what it can do to the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd add...

About 20 mins after my last post the paed came in to say baby's coombes blood test came back as "moderate" for antibodies (I'm currently in hospital still post #4 birth). This is the first time one of my kids has had antibodies, as I've always had the anti-D during and after pregnancy with no issue.

So they did an actual blood test on him to check levels and they came back too low to even be on the chart, so he's fine.

Just thought I'd add this bit on so you know that the first test is not necessarily going to be the be all, end all. )

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaf For This Useful Post:

kgh09  (28-09-2016)